Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pipe clips
Humbug

posted on 11/2/05 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Brake pipe clips

I bought an ST rolling chassis with brake pipes already fitted. The pipes are p-clipped down the tunnel at c. 20cm intervals (so that's OK) but they are regular metal p-clips, no rubber inserts. Will this be OK for SVA, or should I replae the clips with the other type?
DarrenW

posted on 11/2/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I would assume that if thi sis the ST solution then they would have passed SVA like that. Problem is different testers interpretation.

Personally i would go for no metal to metal contact. Can you release the grip on the clips and put some spiral wrap around pipes at the clip location? or some split rubber tubber? Saves replacing them.

Humbug

posted on 11/2/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Brake pipe clips

I should have said - I bought it from someone else who had built it up to rolling chassis stage, not from ST.

I might try to put some extra insulation in.

Also, I noticed that at the back the pipes are cable-tied onto the back (live) axle - anyone know if that's a definite no-no? If it is, how best to secure the pipes to the axle (it already has braided flexible pipes from the chassis to where it attaches to the axle)?

richyo

posted on 11/2/05 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I'm cable tying brake pipes to rear axle with rubber tubing around brake pipe where cable ties are. I've seen a SVA passed car with this. I also used the origional clips on the rear axle but there were only 2 on the axle so thought more fixings would help
Snuggs

posted on 11/2/05 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
If I were you I would use plastic or rubberlined metal P clips.
I'm not sure if SVA will accept cable ties and if it fails then replacing the ties with clips could be a real pain.
Cable ties CAN come unfastened, P clips can't.
Your choice !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

DarrenW

posted on 11/2/05 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
The ties i'm using have passed SVA at Gosforth on my fathers MK. IIRC they are made by hellman, im told very high automotive quality ones. I agree with snuggs - P clips are best but these clips should hold no problems.

britishtrident

posted on 11/2/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
The old factory Ford way used to be welded on tags on the body and axle to retain the pipes. The pipes were protected by rubber sleeves which fell off after a couple of years. It didn't matter too much with steel pipes but if using copper ! or Kunnifer :-) brake pipes steel rubbing on a softer metal ain't a good idea

The simple way to protect the pipe against chaffing slide on lengths of windscreen washer tube before finishing the last flair flairing.

For cliping pipes on the axle tube a couple of large jubilee clips work a treat, also self adhesive cable clips are very good for clipping brake pipes.

Lucas/LSUK sell very nice white plastic brake pipe clips that simple push into a plain hole in a chassis section or body panel.

[Edited on 11/2/05 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 11/2/05 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
snip
Cable ties CAN come unfastened, P clips can't.
Your choice !

I would think P clips are more likely to slacken than cable ties.

DarrenW

posted on 11/2/05 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would stay away from self adhesive anythings. Especially cable tie bases if that is what you were referring to. Some testers may let them go but Gosforth failed my Dads loom for being unsecure even though he used these with cable ties. The reason was that they can become old and inneffective after being sudjected to heat, cold, moisture, fumes, etc etc and possibly fall off. Wiring could then contact moving or hot parts, bare the insulation and cause short circuit or fire.
Some have hole in middle for a screw - if so then also screw them in place. The cable ties i have used have a mechanical clip that attaches through a 6mm hole in the chassis. P clips are just as efective IMHO. Bottom line go for mechanical fastening techniques (Gosforth also commented on the use of insulating tape to tidy a loom saying that OEM's dont use it so they dont pass it!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.