Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bondage!
Macca

posted on 28/10/02 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Bondage!

Is there not a more modern method of fixing panels etc. to the chassis than rivets. I would of thought in this day and age that there would be a adhesive, tape/glue type thingy that could do the job and look a dam sight better than a row of rivets?
Any ideas
Col

[Edited on 28/10/02 by Macca]

locodude

posted on 28/10/02 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
There are many alternatives, mostly adhesives. The most common is Polyurethane sealant/adhesives such as Sikaflex or their cheaper 'generic' counterparts. Also tape adhesives, especially pure acrylics like 3M VHB tape, although you would still need the odd rivet especially with PU etc. to allow time for the adhesive to cure. Oh and yes I used to be a Rep for an adhesives company but I now make an honest(ish) living instead of lying through my back teeth!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/10/02 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
i know that glues are very advanced nowadays, and hold a lot of the bits on airplanes, but then they probabably have better processes than I have in my garage.

I would be too worried that any flexing of the chassis would eventually break the glue bond.

atb

steve

I rivited my panels and used a 'i can beleive its not nails' stuff under the panel as well.

locodude

posted on 28/10/02 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve
PU sealant/adhesives set like hard rubber and are compiant to a degree. On a std locost chassis after a while lots of the rivets at the front of the car have stretched and are doing nothing anyway. I wish I'd used some on mine!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/10/02 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
hi PTM

yep, i can imagine that alu rivets might sheer if the front flexes. However, im hoping mine wont so much as i provided cross-diagonals down the side of my car out of inch rhs rather than the single round tubes in the book.

id just be happy to have it on the road and worry about flexing afterwards!

atb

steve

locodude

posted on 29/10/02 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well said, which is why I may be putting a few extra tubes in over the winter!

James

posted on 29/10/02 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locodude
Hi Steve
PU sealant/adhesives set like hard rubber and are compiant to a degree. On a std locost chassis after a while lots of the rivets at the front of the car have stretched and are doing nothing anyway. I wish I'd used some on mine!

Hi Chris,

Where'd I get some of this stuff from?

And what sort of money would it be?

Cheers,

James

locodude

posted on 29/10/02 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James
Any automotive supplier, panel supplier, fastening and adhesive suppliers. Don't let them fob you off with Sikaflex. It's the best but it's also £12 a tube. Don't pay more than £4. You want no name Polyurethane sealant/adhesive. Watch out when applying it, it gets everywhere and it's a pig to get off. Takes about 24hrs to cure. Also it's not like silicone, you can't block the end up and use it again. It cures with the moisture in the air. I sealed my floor with it, which is why when it rains it fills up, ask ChrisG!

wicket

posted on 30/10/02 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Got mine from RS. Its Loctite 5220, 5221, and 5222, this is 3 different colours black, grey & white; p/n 313-8653, 8669 or 8681 £5-71/tube. It can be kept for several days once opened by removing the nozzle, cover the open end of the tube with a piece of polythene sheet & replace the nozzle (clean the nozzle 1st ready for use). As with most adhesive its best to degrease the mating surfaces before use.
locodude

posted on 30/10/02 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hey the Wickmeister!
The accepted method for preserving PU is ally foil on the end but it really should be used asap. As for degreasing you're right but male sure it's alcohol based, not oil based like white spirits/turps etc as they leave an oily film. Jesus I thought I'd got out of the adhesives game for good and here I am in selling mode no.1. I think I need a stiff drink!

Macca

posted on 30/10/02 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
make sure it's alcohol based
James

posted on 31/10/02 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locodude
Hi James
Any automotive supplier, panel supplier, fastening and adhesive suppliers. Don't let them fob you off with Sikaflex. It's the best but it's also £12 a tube. Don't pay more than £4.

Thanks Chris,

Sounds like good stuff. Time to see if Camberley Auto Factors are useful for anything at all...

Cheers,

James

Dunc

posted on 4/11/02 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, Any peel and shear strengths for these things, being a fat git dont want to use it on my floor only to fall through when I step on it.
locodude

posted on 4/11/02 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about that. You'd destroy the surrounding panels trying to part them! You'd still have one or two rivets in anyway to hold it while it cured.

philgregson

posted on 7/11/02 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
So just to see if I'm on the right track here - We are talking about adhesives instead of rivets are we?

If so this has to be a bloody good idea I would have thought.

So:

Will the appropriate adhesive help to create a stronger chassis by virtue of bonding the panel over the whole contact area rather than just the area of the rivet heads? I presume also that it can only be a good thing not to drill hundreds of holes in the chassis. How would bonded panels affect the various stiffness calcs done by various people on this group?

If it is potentially styronger is a PU based adhesive the best for this or is there something better?

What about paint? Can this process be effecive on a painted chassis beacuse the bond will be with the paint and not the metal and can only be as strong as the metal/paint bond? If this is the case what is the best paint system to use as I canot see the domestic gloss that seems to have becopme a firm favorite with locost builders having sufficient adhesion to the metal surface - otherwise they could use it as a cheap way of gluing planes together!!

Finally there is an obvious disadvantage to this approach in that it would make repairs or modifications to the chassis bloody difficult. Has anyone else any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages? (another advantage - no rivet heads rattling around inside the tubes!!)

Not Finally afterall - I've just though of another question.

On a related subject I once posted a question about prestressed aluminium panels, as used on some C******* models but no-one either knew the answer or was interested so I'll ask it again as it is kind of relavent to the subject in hand.

What is the process of pre-sstressing alu panels? Is it something within the technical abilities of a Locost builder? and finally (really this time) is it worth the effort?

Cheers,

Phil

JohnFol

posted on 8/11/02 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely interested in the glue apporach. Are there any testimonials out there from the manufacturers that I can read up on?
philgregson

posted on 12/11/02 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry - Just trying to bring it to the top again
JohnFol

posted on 29/11/02 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm nearly at the stage of panneling. I am really interested in persuing this.

For me, I think the finished car will look much better without the rivet holes, and will implicitly give a seal around the joints.

Could someone comment on Phils posting?

David Jenkins

posted on 29/11/02 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
True to my usual form, my panels are 'glued and screwed' - well, PU's and pop-rivetted, anyway.

I did a few tests with the PU (read: "oops, I spilt some where I shouldn't have") and it really does stick things together, given clean surfaces and time to cure.

David

JohnFol

posted on 29/11/02 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
My preference is to use just glue.
To allow curing in the correct position I aim to use clamps and wood along the joins.

does anyone see a problem with this?

JohnFol

posted on 3/12/02 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some info - Click Here
Deckman001

posted on 3/12/02 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
John, are you alowed to 'glue' the panels as the 'book' shows rivets. Also if you get bashed, how easy will it be to repair/ staighten ?
Only asking as I could do the same !
Missed you on Sunday, was looking for a chat on racer progress

philgregson

posted on 3/12/02 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting start but still some questions unanswered -

What about bonding over paint or should I bond alu to steel and paint the chassis afterwards?
What about surface preperation?
Which of these glues is best?
And most importantly - Is it a good Idea? - I think it is but I've been caught out by thinking before!!

Phil.

James

posted on 4/12/02 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What about bonding over paint or should I bond alu to steel and paint the chassis afterwards?Phil.

Had that exact thought myself last nght. I guess he best way would be paint the whole chassis when it alone is finished (so as to stop it rusting). Then when you're ready to panel take off the paint on the appropriate rails- a slight waste but the other options are to not paint the chassis until you're ready to panel in which case it'll rust. Or, panel early on then paint, and then spend the entire build scratching/denting the panels !

Anyway, I think that's what I'll do- paint chassis now and take some of it off later.

James

interestedparty

posted on 4/12/02 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
If bonding large panels, you need to consider the question of differential expansion. If one material expands more when warm than the other, then you need to use an adhesive that allows a certain amount of movement. If you use a 'hard' adhesive it will tend to give way completely if overstretched

I'm not saying this will be a problem on a locost, but might be worth some consideration

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.