Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade or ZX9R ??
Raj Virdee

posted on 30/10/02 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Blade or ZX9R ??

Another subjective question...

...what are the differences between the blade and the zx9r engines in terms of bhp/torque, refinement, reliability, value?

Which would be the better buy from a value point of view.

Finally (promise), are they both as easy to fit as each other...if you get what I mean

Thanx

Raj

ChrisGamlin

posted on 31/10/02 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say at the moment, a ZX9 is better value for money than a blade. ZX9's can still be picked up for well under a grand, but blades at this price are becoming like the proverbial rocking horse poo!

There's pro's and cons to both, but both engines are pretty well supported now and so exhausts/prop flanges/ gear linkages wont be a problem to find if you want to buy them.
A ZX9 is a little more powerful, about 6-8bhp up on a late blade, but has the disadvantage of being lower overall geared, meaning larger wheel/tyre combination or a longer diff may be required for reasonable top speed / comfortable cruising. The gearbox on the ZX9 is meant to be nicer to use, smoother etc, but I can't comment first hand on that as I've never tried a ZX box.
Can't think of too many other pros n cons at the mo, but then it's far too late to think about it really!

Chris

jimgiblett

posted on 31/10/02 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO the ZX9 has a sweeter gearbox and a bit more power. A bit of pain regarding gearing can be overcome with high ratio diff 3.1.

Dont forget to budget for a sump chop so as to mount the engine lower in the chassis.

Unless you want to race in the 750mc series I'd go ZX9 rather than the premium for the Blade.

You could look at an R1 as they are fairly cheap, light and powerful.

Top bargain though would be CBR1000 which are really cheap and fairly bomb proof.

Cheers

Jim
R1 Phoenix (under construction)

sting

posted on 31/10/02 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
hi all
agree with all of the above also i`m led to believe that the zx produces more torque!
as for gearing check out the graph`s that are on this site they give you all the info your need
regards
Sting

zx9 you know it makes sense

ChrisGamlin

posted on 31/10/02 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Yup agreed Jim, the only thing to consider is if you are going the traditional Locost live axle'd route then a 3.54 diff is as high as she'll go unless these custom made 3.2 CWPs get made, but at a price.

BTW, if anyone needs a ZX9 sump chop then let me know, as you may or may not know, my uncle did Jasper's for him at a very reasonable price.

Chris

Macca

posted on 31/10/02 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Chris, I will be needing a chop, would make sense for me to do it before I make up my engine mounts.If you want to discuss details send me an u2u and I will let you have my email.
Cheers Col

Jasper

posted on 31/10/02 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
As you know I've gone the ZX9 route. Can't comment on the power/gears as it aint running yet. But no probs getting exhaust (ST) prop flange (MK), I'm using live axel so will be using 15" wheels. Sump chop - see Chris Gamblin - beautiful. Mounted the engine back into passenger bay 4" and have a dead straight prop angle.

As for price, mine was £850 from a reliable source, 1999 model, all electrics and dials too, with a genuine 8K on clock, can be got cheaper, but history more important to me.

Your coming to Box Hill aren't you Raj, we can talk more there.....

Chris, when you gonna bring your BEC to Box Hill one sunday to show the boys what it's all about?????

ChrisGamlin

posted on 31/10/02 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jasper

Yeh sounds good, maybe try and organise a few of em to turn up from the Yahoo BEC list, we quite regularly meet up for a Little Chef breakfast and a tyre kick. When are you next going? The other option is for you guys to pop along to Brooklands (only about 20 minutes from Boxhill), it looks like we're organising another "track" day there some time in November, so an opportunity for some passenger rides......

Chris

[Edited on 31/10/02 by ChrisGamlin]

Jasper

posted on 31/10/02 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Box Hill next meet is 3rd Nov 10am, see the clubs/events section.

Brooklands sounds great...

BTW, if you see your Uncle first, he was gonna pick me up a piece of thin ali to make a sump baffle, but I haven't got over to Midhurst in a while.

[Edited on 31/10/02 by Jasper]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 31/10/02 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
He's got the ally sheet sitting at home, I saw it last weekend so ready to pick up whenever you want. Maybe pick it up at Brooklands, I'd imagine he'll come along but even if not, I can bring it with me.
Not sure if I can make it along this Sunday, will see how it goes, I might be mechanic-ing for my racer mate at Rockingham, and anyway would be quite dependent on what the weather is like!! How many do you get turning up usually?

cheers
Chris

Jasper

posted on 1/11/02 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
We usually get around 6 or so turn up. Weather looks shitty this Sunday...

I'll pick the alli sheet up off you then if I don't get over to Midhurst in the meantime.

theconrodkid

posted on 1/11/02 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
keep us informed about the brooklands meet Chris i fancy a look
ChrisGamlin

posted on 1/11/02 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Will do, it now looks like there is going to be TWO days, one on the 16th and one on the 30th of November, so keep the diaries clear!

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.