Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How accurate
Bart69

posted on 27/2/05 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
How accurate

Started my Mcsorely 4" chassis today.
Completed stage one to the turned over and tacked stage.
Now the centre line of e is 3mm out and the overall length is 2336 instead of 2334.
Is this acurrate enough
if not will i be able to adjust the centreline later on or will i have to adjust it now

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/2/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Most production cars are accurate to about 5mm, any inaccuracies can be dialled out when setting up your adjustable suspension

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Bart69

posted on 27/2/05 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Most production cars are accurate to about 5mm, any inaccuracies can be dialled out when setting up your adjustable suspension

Cheers mark that put my mind at ease a bit. I think i'll peg it back to the centre line and see how it goes.
I did a search and read your thread on pulling tubes with heat/gaps when welding and wasnt sure if that was what i should be doing

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/2/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
If it bothers you, you could cut out a few tacks, reposition and retack

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

clbarclay

posted on 27/2/05 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Unless your using spherical bearings for suspension then you will have multiple relativerly soft squishy things attching the chassis to the ground.

Also the difference between 2336 and 2334 is less than 0.1%

DEAN C.

posted on 27/2/05 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Dont be too critical,it was rumoured that land rovers were accurate to 1 ".Having worked on hundreds of them and chopped a few chassis I can honestly say it's probably true.but their bushes are a lot bigger than a locost.
In my opinion 3-5mm would be a reasonable tolerance for a Locost type chassis.You will never get your dimensions within a mm when you consider welding and heat distortion.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Bart69

posted on 28/2/05 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
land rovers were accurate to 1 "

I built a series 3 1975 from a nearly restored chassis up to finish and remember the fun lining everything up.
aah great british engineering

Im full of confidence know...Wheres that torch it will be straight in the morning

thanks lads
graham

Peteff

posted on 28/2/05 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Mini with 18mm difference between the 2 sides front to back and it drove brilliantly. I'm not to 3mm any more.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 28/2/05 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
just to concur, I wouldn't worry about that level of inaccuracy, it's only cos you're building it that you notice it, your road car won't be that accurate.
clbarclay

posted on 28/2/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
There is a saying that there are 2 man made objects visable from the moon.

The first is the great wall of china
The second is the gap between panel fit on a range rover (i expect this is true for all landrovers).

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/05 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Some chinese astronaut said that you can't see the Great Wall - but he didn't mention the Range Rover...

David

Bart69

posted on 28/2/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Good news today chassis back on marks and the 4 uprights 'h' fitted and square.
Gordon in the next unit to me the most talented welder/fabricator i've ever came across voluntered himself to weld up the chassis when it's complete. Although i can weld i feel whooly inadquit next to him and will feel safer at 130mph around knockhill .
My builder Pal Ian's, joiner planed up parts for the jig for the front section i'll just need to screw it together at the right dimensions.
its amazing how many people are willing to help although i think im third in line for a drive nowv

Bart69

posted on 1/3/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ive now tacked together the front chassis assembly things going quicker than i hoped.
one question
was i right in keeping the outside face of LA/LB parallel with the chassis centre line if you know what i mean

Peteff

posted on 1/3/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.

Your wishbone brackets sit flush on them when you weld them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
It looks odd having the front faces of tubes LA/LB facing out slightly. I got it right first time but ended up cutting the one side out before realising that what looked like a mistake at first was indead correct.
Bart69

posted on 1/3/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
It looks odd having the front faces of tubes LA/LB facing out slightly. I got it right first time but ended up cutting the one side out before realising that what looked like a mistake at first was indead correct.

Not quite sure if you are agreeing or not
In relation to what, do you mean facing out
Sorry for being so stupid

clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm agreeing.

Just thought I had made an error when in fact I hadn't.

Bart69

posted on 1/3/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys only thought about it after tacking LA in place. So thats the first tube cut out and refitted hopefully not many more.
tmrw fitting time then the top rails.
Sooo glad i spotted this early

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.