Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: braket size
clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
braket size

About to start making the brakets for mounting suspension to.

What is the distance between the pivot centre and the base of the braket, the book (2nd edition) is not to clear. Is it nearer 22mm or 25mm.

If your not to sure about which dimension I mean then see diagram bellow, dimension marked X. Rescued attachment Sus. braket.JPG
Rescued attachment Sus. braket.JPG

flak monkey

posted on 1/3/05 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
In the book the holes are 18mm from the top edge of the bracket as you have drawn it above....which puts them at 20mm from the base of the bracket...(page 62 in the 2nd edition book)

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

James

posted on 1/3/05 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
With some of my (bought) brackets they're 22mm (IIRC) and I've had some trouble fitting the ProTech shock absorber in.
So make them with enough distance to get your shock in place easily.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Only making the wishbone/tailing arm/panhard at the moment so will deal with damper mounts latter.

Flak monkey, I don't trust that diagram it measures the base at both 48mm (right hand pic in diagram) and also at 39mm (left hand pic in diagram)!!!
Even if the 39 is internal it still doesn't add up.

looking at the diagram on page 63 it looks like 22mm with a 3mm plate under the braket for the lower rear mount of wishbones.

timf

posted on 1/3/05 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
gts brakets ar 25.4

see http://www.gtscougar.freeserve.co.uk/ubracket2.pdf

flak monkey

posted on 1/3/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
Only making the wishbone/tailing arm/panhard at the moment so will deal with damper mounts latter.

Flak monkey, I don't trust that diagram it measures the base at both 48mm (right hand pic in diagram) and also at 39mm (left hand pic in diagram)!!!
Even if the 39 is internal it still doesn't add up.

looking at the diagram on page 63 it looks like 22mm with a 3mm plate under the braket for the lower rear mount of wishbones.

I see what you mean! Another error to add to the growing list!!

As Tim says the GTS ones are 1" from base to hole...

David

[Edited on 1/3/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well seing as how i'm using GTS bushes i might as well use brakets the same size as they do. 25mm also fits nicely down the centre of 50x50 box.
Avoneer

posted on 1/3/05 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I was gonna say that it depends on the OD of your bone eyes, but you got to this conclusion anyway.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bart69

posted on 1/3/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Even if the 39 is internal it still doesn't add up

Surely someone will correct me but i think the missing mm's are in the bend itself.

clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its not a case of losing metal more a case finding either 3mm or at worst 9mm depending whether the dimmensions are marked oninside or outside respeciverly.
Bart69

posted on 1/3/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
the bend is started 39mm apart once the radius is taken in to account the finished dimension is 42mm

I stand to be corrected

graham

clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
The book doesn't say anything about the radius of the corners. So I take it to mean that there is no measurable internal radious on the brakets.

Also I wonder whether you risk weakening the brakets if you have to bigger radious there. you also reduce the ammount of clearence room at the near the sides of the braket for the bush.

Bart69

posted on 1/3/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quoting page 62 fig 4.31 internal rad =0.187
im just thinking if you bend at exactly 42mm your bracket will end up much bigger. You cant get a sharp 90 deg bend their always must be a radius and if i remember from my dist past there is a formula incorparating thickness and radius to work it out. Just dont ask me what it is

clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Ah. well I missed that one.

Still if they put more dimensions on the pic of bent braket fig 4.31 it would probably save a lot of confusion

Just done the maths and with the radious taken into account the difference between 2 main pics in fig 4.31 is 0.024", thats not to bad.

[Edited on 1/3/05 by clbarclay]

Bart69

posted on 1/3/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ah. well I missed that one.

that whats great about this place i help you here; you helped me earlier in the chassis section
keep up the good work

graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.