Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Velocity Wiring Loom.... & a 4AGE
Gazza

posted on 1/3/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Velocity Wiring Loom.... & a 4AGE

Anybody help me out - I've got the standard Luego wiring loom and a Toyota 4AGE engine- here are my current problems!!!!

1. How do I wire up the starter motor? I though it had a small wire from the ignition to the relay (which is in the loom already) and a big thick wire which in my loom runs from the stater to the coil of cables marked "ignition switch" - surely this should be a live feed from the battery as this cable is far too big to be connected to the ignition switch!!!

2. How do I wire up the alternator - the Luego loom has a single alternator cable, yet my alternator for the 4AGE has 3 connectors on it (plus one which looks like an earth).

Help - I realy want to get the thing started this week, so any advice is appreciated!

Just a bag o' rusty spanners

clbarclay

posted on 1/3/05 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
A typical alternator has an earth, one small wire to the bat light on dash and a pair of wires handling the current charge battery/power system. These 2 wires usually are connected to the + terminal on the starter motor (most + wires feed of the started motor rather than the battery because its typically nearer and make changing batteries easiery.

Not sure about the ins and out of the velocity loom.

[Edited on 1/3/05 by clbarclay]

ned

posted on 2/3/05 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
findlay234 is building same as you, might be worth a u2u if he doesn't find this thread soon...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DEAN C.

posted on 4/3/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
The Toyota alternator does not wire up anything like a standard Lucas or other euro unit.It does not earth the warning light through the alternator ,and it actually needs a switched live feed to the unit to run.
You really do need a toyota drawing to wire it up ,any corolla manual with this engine will cover it.
The starter is just standard wiring though,thick wire to battery and ignition feed,and smaller wire to ignition switch starter feed(spring return output on ig switch)
Do look up your colours for the charging circuit ,but from memory the thick white wires are charging wires,the others are live feed to alternator,and thin yellow to ignition light with a diode,and you need another live feed to the other side of the ignition light.
If you cant get a drawing i'll try to attach something to help.
Dont know if this is confusing to you but once you see a drawing it should become clearer.
By the way which induction set are you using?if you are using the standard injection you must get an ecu drawing as well or youll not manage anyway.
All the best,
DEAN......

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

clbarclay

posted on 4/3/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DEAN C.
and it actually needs a switched live feed to the unit to run.

As apposed to the using the live via the battery light like most other alternatots use?

Not surprised that the alternato is different to most others. I use a local family run business for starter motors and alternators. When they started out they needed 9 alterantors to do 90% of cars on the road. Now they have a garage packed with goodness knows how many different alternators, and theres no garanty they have the one you need on the shelf.

[Edited on 4/3/05 by clbarclay]

DEAN C.

posted on 4/3/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thats right!Its not too difficult but it is different altogther in the way it activates the charging circuit.
This of course is presuming you have the normal Denso unit.
Raw usually tell people to use a standard lucas unit but i'd stick to the original one that you have.

eddymcclements

posted on 31/3/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using the standard Denso alternator on my 4AGE, but I'm missing the diode between charge lamp and alternator. Anyone know how many amps passes through this circuit, and/or where I can get a suitable diode?

Cheers,

Eddy

DEAN C.

posted on 4/4/05 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Eddy,if you u2u me your address i'll post you a couple of diodes suitable
All the best DEAN......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.