Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aluminium Spaceframe/Monocoque
flak monkey

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminium Spaceframe/Monocoque

Just to stir up this old hornets nest again....

I put this in here as its not really a Locost question.

I have read through all the old stuff about ally chassis' and am aware of the main issues with them; i.e. the fatigue and stiffness issues.

I am producing a design for a single seater race car, which will only see about 250hours use at max, before a rebuild.

This is only a concept design, so may not actually be built, so this is all research atm.

What i would like to know is if anyone knows of some good books/websites with some good info about ali spaceframes/moncoques. I was thinking of possibly ali spaceframe with structural bodywork to regain some stiffness.

Im not looking for solutions, just some pointers toward useful info.

Or if you think its a really bad idea, tell me, as long as you can justify why...

Cheers,
David

[Edited on 9/3/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JonBowden

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Others will be more able to suggest good books on design. However, if you want to use all aluminium, why not a rivited and bonded aluminium monocoque.
Benefits:
better strength to weight ratio
cheaper - no steel chassis needed
looks cool
safer to crash (so I've heard)
more interesting challange
might be quicker to build (once the design is sorted)

[Edited on 9/3/05 by JonBowden]

Jon

DaveFJ

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
you may be better looking for info on airframe design, this should be better suited to your needs.

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

flak monkey

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Monocoque is definately a possibility. And i would like to know a lot more about them (as all my knowledge is currently of steel spaceframes...). But i also need info for spaceframes too...

All good book/website suugestions appreciated, along with any personal opinions

Sera

JonBowden

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

you may be better looking for info on airframe design

I agree, you might like to look at http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/6-construct.html this link shows construction of an aluminium aircraft.
Cars have one problem that is not such an issue with aircraft, the loads are applied at specific points where the suspension attaches. This is not a problem with spaceframes but makes monocoque design a bit harder.
IIRC, Carol Smith discusses monocoque construction in Prepare to Win

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
The lotus 25 is a simple design (I believe that it's not very stiff though) Rescued attachment Lotus25-GB14.jpg
Rescued attachment Lotus25-GB14.jpg

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 9/3/05 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Its really more like a ladder chassis Rescued attachment FIG1.jpg
Rescued attachment FIG1.jpg

Jon

Volvorsport

posted on 9/3/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
be wary of ally spaceframes , they may not be as light as you think , to get the same strength as a steel one , and suffer distortion more than any other - a riveted/bonded monocoque is a much cheaper and better option spesh if you use honeycomb .

me of course would make a grp/kevlar one . make a simple u shape for me mold out of ally the lay up on it , chuck it on a jig , then bond in subframes /scuttles/ bulkheads etc .

the book for you would be staniforths one of course .

[Edited on 9/3/05 by Volvorsport]

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

flak monkey

posted on 9/3/05 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I know the problem with acheiving the same rigidity form an ali space frame. But know very little about aluminium monocoques. Though i have heard about the honeycomb stuff.

We dont have the facilities to make proper carbon fibre structures, so that has been ruled out.

What are the full details of the Stainforth book?

David

Sera

Volvorsport

posted on 10/3/05 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
the race and rally car source book - its a build thing - . i lost my book to a mate - or else id tell ya .

you wouldnt necesarily need to do carbon fibre - id be happy to do you a quote to get you started .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 10/3/05 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
check out "race car chassis design and construction" by forbes aird. shopuld be available from amazone or theres always motor books (www.motor-books.co.uk). they have everything (apart from the stainforth suspension book at the mo).
chassis book covers all the options in detail with benefits/drawbacks. basic point re ali spaceframes is that although ali approx 3x lighter than steel, you need about 3 time the amount for same strength (not stiffness - you could build a very stiff chassis out of paper but it would have no strength), so you sort of loose what you gain with ali. monococques also discussed but in not so much detail, still more than enough to get going. as mentioned smith's "prepare to win" series also covers monococques in some detail.
problem with fs is that if your using any fancy chassis design you have to theoretically prove its as strong as a spaceframe, which can be challenging mathematically challenging.
good luck with the project

monocoque_nut

posted on 7/8/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
The lotus 25 is a simple design (I believe that it's not very stiff though)

If you can search google about the lotus 25 chassis you will find that its lighter and stiffer then a spaceframe.

Nice picture though. I have been looking for something like this for weeks!

I suggest seraching for the lotus elise chassis. That would be easy to adapt to the locost layout. It blew my mind when i first read a about it.

Im planning to do that myself.

britishtrident

posted on 7/8/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
The Lotus 25/33 was actually heavier than the Lotus 24 which apart from the fact it used a spaceframe was otherwise identical. The sole advantage of he 25 monocoque over the 24 was its much greater stiffness.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.