Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham wishbone piics, Please!
Sean

posted on 16/3/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham wishbone piics, Please!

Am I right in thinking that earlier Caterhams ran triumph front end suspension in terms of uprights but with their own wishbones? My kit uses the front suspension from a triumph spitfire, which is far from aesthetic. What I would like to do is make up some new wishbones but retain the trunion although poss changng the top bush for an adjustable one ( if there is a track rod iwth the correct taper ) if the caterham did indeed do this I would like to see a picture to use as a pattern to get some made up.

Thanks

ned

posted on 16/3/05 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
i believe some early robin hoods and locusts were triumph based, but from memory i think they retained the standard triumph wishbones/suspension which is I suspect what you are hoping to change.

guess the above is pretty useless then really?! DOH!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 16/3/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sean,
I cold not find a decent picture of the early Caterham wishbone, but this is a Lotus Series 2 (It might be a series 3) wishbone. Rescued attachment sevBlouin212.jpg
Rescued attachment sevBlouin212.jpg

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 16/3/05 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I found this one. I believe it's a Caterham Rescued attachment 0e_3.JPG
Rescued attachment 0e_3.JPG

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 16/3/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
this is a picture of a Lotus 18 suspension. The lower wishbone is similar to an Lotus 7 or early Carerham design
http://www.atspeedimages.com/lotus18ref/sanehiro_nozaki/left_fr ont_suspension.jpg

[Edited on 16/3/05 by JonBowden]

Jon

britishtrident

posted on 16/3/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Already been discussed widely in the forum you will find a design for a lower wishbone on in the files area of the yahoo locost group or it would be easy to adapt the standard Locost wisbones as Ken Walton did on his MGB locost.

Another alternative is making wishbone similar to the ones Spyder make for 60s Lotuses.
http://www.spydercars.co.uk/pg3_spy_tubular_wishbone.htm Rescued attachment AVO-sus.gif
Rescued attachment AVO-sus.gif

britishtrident

posted on 16/3/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Another picture of the late Ken Walton's car Rescued attachment front-susp.jpg
Rescued attachment front-susp.jpg

Sean

posted on 16/3/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys that is all very helpful. I will check out the files. I'm not quiet sure what the upper one is doing. Is that a diff ball joint or a track rod end. Or just my eyes not seeing it properly?
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus/Caterham used a track control arm similar to that used as a lower arm on Fords with MacPherson struts, the anti-roll bar formed the front part of the wishbone -- typical Chapman minimalism (or cost cutting ?)
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
i believe some early robin hoods and locusts were triumph based, but from memory i think they retained the standard triumph wishbones/suspension which is I suspect what you are hoping to change.

guess the above is pretty useless then really?! DOH!

Ned.

Robin Hood used the Triumph Toledo-Dollomite-1500 front suspension the top ball joint was much the same as that on the Herald but the spring damper unit acted on the top wishbone. Unlike the Herald the Toledo used a lower ball joint. Robin Hood put the spring loads through the lower ball joint --- which was a puny thing that wasn't up to the job.

Sean

posted on 17/3/05 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
So if I want to go the way of the ford boys and make up an upper wishbone (which is adjustable using I think a track rod end Is there a similar solution in terms of a track rod to fit the triumph upright?
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
because of the taper size you are unlikely to find a trackrod end up to the job --- on Ford style suspension it works because the Transit drag link end is pretty hefft bit of kit.

Use the Triumph ball joint make up a fork similar to Ken Waltons but using 2 bolts.

On a Clubmans racer have also seen it done by using a threaded rod TIG welded to Triumph ball joint (turned through 90 degrees) but strongly advise against this the weld and bar would have to be to notch.

Sean

posted on 17/3/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose I could use some type of fork arrangement bracket with a bolt welded to it, to allow for adjustment. But as you say, it's in the strength of the weld. However, I do have a mate who is a coded welder of all types. What dya think?
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Braze a nut on and use an HT fully threaded bolt going right through the U bracket that way it should be bullet proof.
madman280

posted on 20/3/05 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
The original triumph didn't use ball joints it used trunions. Ken used the triumph suspension as it came or of the car. Caterham and Lotus subtituted the upper trunion for the truck tie rod end and used iot as a ball joint.
britishtrident

posted on 20/3/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madman280
The original triumph didn't use ball joints it used trunions. Ken used the triumph suspension as it came or of the car. Caterham and Lotus subtituted the upper trunion for the truck tie rod end and used iot as a ball joint.

None of the above the Triumph Herald uses an upper balljoint but a lower trunnion.
Ken Waltons car has MG suspension becuse he based in on MGB donor.

britishtrident

posted on 20/3/05 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph front suspension Rescued attachment 18a.gif
Rescued attachment 18a.gif

britishtrident

posted on 20/3/05 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
MGB Front suspension which is what Ken used Rescued attachment front-suspension.gif
Rescued attachment front-suspension.gif

Sean

posted on 24/3/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I see thanks for that. It does all look agricultural, but I suppose not designed to be seen like the wishbones of a cycle guard kit car. I will see what my mate can come up with in stainless steel, for a better effect.
madman280

posted on 25/3/05 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Appoligies your right. Ken did use an MGB. Its easy for a half frozen Canadian to confuse antique british parts.
Sean

posted on 28/3/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I was actually at the Loton Park Hill climb on Sunday and there was an early caterham. This had an upright based on the triumph but had a ball joint top and bottom. The upper being on an adjustable wishbone for camber. I wonder what ball joints these are. it was suggested they could be sherpa or something similar.
britishtrident

posted on 28/3/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
The Triumph upright can be machined to take a rose joint at the bottom but it isn't a good idea for a car intended for road use.
Neville Jones

posted on 29/3/05 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Don't top racecars use spherical joints for the bottom joints at the outside front? I'm sure i've seen this in pictures. They have a lot more loading than a locost would have. and they get a hammering bumping over kerbs. Should be ok for a locost, shouldnt they?

Nev.

britishtrident

posted on 29/3/05 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Don't top racecars use spherical joints for the bottom joints at the outside front? I'm sure i've seen this in pictures. They have a lot more loading than a locost would have. and they get a hammering bumping over kerbs. Should be ok for a locost, shouldnt they?

Nev.

Its not the loading its the dirt -- race car joints don't have to deal with road salt and are cleaned after every run.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.