Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Ignition upgrades
DarrenW

posted on 24/3/05 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Ignition upgrades

Ive taken this question out of the other two running threads as its not directly related.

My Problem
My pinto is 2.0 injected version. I have junked the injection stuff (actually i didnt get it with the engine) and fitted a 38DGAS instead. Dizzy is for the injected engine = hall effect type = no good for my set up.

What I Want
A reliable electronic ignition set up that willl be good for my 2.0 with flowed head and FR32 cam and also suitable for 2.1 with st1 head in the future.

Options
Megajolt - i wont be doing this for now, maybe a future project so dont need info on this.
New System - aldon ignitor, full upgraded dizzy or upgrade kit, lumenition etc.
Old system - 1.6 / 1.8 pinto sierra, transit, pre'86 2.0 sierra set up. Im not keen on this as i may be buying someone elses trouble or have reliability problems later.

Questions
1. Is the Burton power electronic dizzy and coil kit basically the same as the aldon ignitor (the one that Benzine has just fitted)?
2. ref the aldonignitor for those that have fitted one-
a. Did you buy new ready modded dizzy or just the internals?
b. How much has it cast you?
c. Where is the best place to buy it from?
d. Have you used std ignitor or ignitor 2?
e. Why did you use Aldon? Why not lumenition etc?
f. I assume you have also had to fit flame thrower coil - which one or is there a chaeper alternative.
g. My dizzy is the hall effect one with 3 connection rectangular plug. Can this dizzy be converted to aldon ignitor? or do i need to start with a points based dizzy?
3. Anyone got any bits for sale?

If there are any other dizzy based solutions im interested to hear about them. Top priority for me is reliability as i will take Wife and daughter out occasionally.

Many thanks in advance,
Darren.

[Edited on 24/3/05 by DarrenW]

[Edited on 24/3/05 by DarrenW]

coovey

posted on 24/3/05 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a similar spec pinto to yours except im running twin 40's. I've got a fixed advance dizzy with lumintion optronic ignition and a matched coil. The ignition and coil set me back 225 and the dizzy was 150 exchange. I know its alot but based on a few opinions and past experience with other engines i didn't want to have a great engine and spoil it with poor ignition.

No doubt there will be lots of other opinions and probably cheaper ones, but thats what ive got. it hasn't been run yet but it's the same ignition it was running on in the car i got it out of and it went like the ___ of a shovel then.

Hope this helps a little

[Edited on 24/3/05 by coovey]

DarrenW

posted on 24/3/05 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Did you get a replacement injection dizzy or chuck this away and source a points one to exchange? i was wondering if i could start with my dizzy, gut it and re-fit the aftermarket electronics???

keith2lp

posted on 24/3/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto

Hi

Keep an eye on e-bay there is a chap on there who sells recon dissy + ignition & coil for £150. I have one and it is a nice bit of kit. He will even set the advance curve to your requirements.

I have a fax number for him and I will dig it out, the ignition is called bestec.

Hope this helps

Keith

[Edited on 24/3/05 by keith2lp]

[Edited on 24/3/05 by keith2lp]

itguy

posted on 25/3/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I know you don't want to go down the megajolt route now, but for £150 you could do it and get the benefit of having 3D ignition.

I've just converted my xflow (twin 40s) from dizzy to megajolt lite'jnr and its totally transformed the engine.

I faced the same dilema as you are - my old dizzy was an electronic non-standard pickup unit with a knackered ignition amp. I faced a choice, do i throw in a cheap/free secondhand vac advance ford dizzy (totally not suitable for the engine), or buy an aldon modified unit for over £150.

Then I saw the light and went to the megajolt - it really is straight forward to install.

You know it makes sense

Will.

mookaloid

posted on 25/3/05 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I went for an Aldon because I had a points dizzy which they converted for me to non vacuum with a suitable advance curve for my spec of engine for considerably less than the price of a new one about £60 IIRC. The ignitor was just to replace the points to give a reliable spark which points didn't!

I am using a Lucas sports coil which i got off Ebay for a tenner

I think you would be ok with a standard points dizzy with an ignitor for now. Using the single carb you can still use your vacuum advance which is a good thing.

In the future if you go to twin 45's you can have your dizzy modified then to run without the vacuum advance.

I think that Lumenition is rather more expensive although a lot of people would probably think it is better!

I am quite happy with mine - you may have seen my recent post about my rolling road set up which showed 147 BHP at the wheels with this setup.

HTH

Mark

DarrenW

posted on 29/3/05 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. this thread is pushing me back to megajolt. I dont really want to spend £150 plus on a distributor system when i was planning megajolt for post SVA. Iam also reluctant to buy old dizzy set up as it may not be 100% reliable. If i dont find a dizzy in the next few weeks i may look into megajolt more seriously.

Can anyone advise where i can buy a complete kit of parts to make the ECU? Im a little electronically challenged so need t get all the bits as a kit. I guess ill also need to build the simulator to test it.

How much has megajolt cost you?

Is it easy to get an engine running for the first time with megajolt (mine is std 2.0 pinto with mildly ported head, FR32 cam and 38DGAS carb that is allegedly jetted for 2.0 pinto)?

Can anyone supply an ECU ready built and tested? (i think chrisW was doing them??)

Cheers,
Darren.

Mr_Stevo

posted on 30/3/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my pinto dizzy and coil from a guy who used to work for Aldon and has now set up on his own. I got the lot for £130 and he sent it on a try before you buy basis - not sure if he still does that though.

Anyway, it was a plug and play set up and apparently tailor made for my set up (standard pinto + twin 40s). Not had any problems but car has only done about 100 miles.

BTW I am based in Durham too if you want to take a look.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.