Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Pump
Robster

posted on 7/4/05 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel Pump

I know there has been quite a bit of discussion about fuel pumps on the yahoo list, which is very timely as I am trying to decide which pump to go for on my build for the locost racing series. I thought I would try to canvass opinion on here as well.

I know the solid state facet pump is sufficient for a 1300 XFlow, but some people I have spoken to have voiced concerns over reliability of these pumps.

Clearly a silver or even red top pump will be overkill for this engine and would need a regulator, more expense, not in keeping with the "locost" theme & doesn't help my budget!

Any comments from the racers? Are those of you using the solid state pumps happy with them, no reliability issues? Anyone dumped their solid state pump in favour of a silver or red top?

Any & all advice welcome

Cheers,
Rob

RogerM

posted on 7/4/05 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a solid state pump fitted to my 1380 Mini for about 5 years.

The only problem I have had is that the if the car is left to stand for a long time (ie. over winter) the unions weep slightly, only very slightly though.

Doesn't happen if you start the car every so often and is probably a fitment problem on my part anyway.

Go get one, they are a good price and can shift enough fuel for about 150BHP.

NS Dev

posted on 7/4/05 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robster
I know there has been quite a bit of discussion about fuel pumps on the yahoo list, which is very timely as I am trying to decide which pump to go for on my build for the locost racing series. I thought I would try to canvass opinion on here as well.

I know the solid state facet pump is sufficient for a 1300 XFlow, but some people I have spoken to have voiced concerns over reliability of these pumps.

Clearly a silver or even red top pump will be overkill for this engine and would need a regulator, more expense, not in keeping with the "locost" theme & doesn't help my budget!

Any comments from the racers? Are those of you using the solid state pumps happy with them, no reliability issues? Anyone dumped their solid state pump in favour of a silver or red top?

Any & all advice welcome

Cheers,
Rob

If you go for the silver top solution, ring up/visit a range rover breakers!

All the carbed V8 range rovers used a silver top facet pump, mounted under the floor on the passenger side. Cheap and cheerful!

Robster

posted on 18/4/05 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses Roger & NS Dev, I'm inclined to go for the solid state pump on cost & simplicity grounds, but just slightly worried by suggestions that they are not always reliable in a racing situation.

Any of you locost race drivers got any views on this? Those of you who have gone the silver top/red top route, why?

Cheers,
Rob.

DickieB

posted on 18/4/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I replaced my red top with a solid. No problems with either, but I know from other forums of more people who've had problems with red top than solid state. That said at Mallory 1 of the competitors had a solid pump fail. Mike Topp (MTM turns up to all events and sells solid (perhaps red top as well).
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Robster

posted on 20/4/05 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Dickie, I think it's gonna be a solid state pump; that should get me started, I can always change it later if needs be.

Don't think I can make it to Brands this weekend, but if I do then I'll check out MTM.

Cheers,
Rob.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.