Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Steel tube..
racer

posted on 15/11/02 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Steel tube..

Hi everybody. Does anyone know an internet site to order steel tubes? I live in Greece and i can't find it in domestic market...
racer

posted on 18/11/02 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Anybody....
David Jenkins

posted on 18/11/02 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
racer,

Are you sure that there are no local suppliers? This steel tube is common stuff used in many industries around the world.

The trouble with buying it from the internet is that the material is heavy (more than 50kg) and very bulky (mine came in 6 metre lengths). The shipping charges would be far higher than the relatively small cost of the steel!

Try looking in your local industrial areas, perhaps asking at small engineering or steel fabrication companies. They may know of local suppliers, or may sell you the materials themselves.

I have bought quite a bit of steel in this way, when I didn't need a whole 6 metres.

good luck!

David

racer

posted on 18/11/02 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
David,

The rhs they can provide is very mild or very thick. I asked them for 1018 steel tube...Is this correct? Is it possible to give me any specifications of the tube needed?

Thanks

David Jenkins

posted on 18/11/02 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know what the spec. number is - I bought ordinary 'mild steel', which is fine for everything except the suspension arms.

David

ProjectSRP

posted on 18/11/02 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
You may find it hard to get 1018 or 1020 in rectangluar section. Normally this grade is used for round DOM tubing. Normal mild steel would be ok for the chassis and I would recommend 1020 DOM for the suspension A-arms. If you are worried about the strength then maybe you could use 1 1/4" square instead of 1"
racer

posted on 19/11/02 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
ProjectSRP

Thanks.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.