Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric choke
vintagebuilder

posted on 16/4/05 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Electric choke

Evening All,

I've fitted a small Nippon Denso alternator to my 2.0 Pinto and now need to connect up my electric choke on Weber 28/36. Does the cable to the choke connection come from one of the spade alternator terminals? If so which of the two? or is the feed from the + of the coil.

Hope someone can Help.
Thanks

David

uglyelliot

posted on 17/4/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
electric choke

hi

don't know about nippondenso but the bosch alternator on my donor had a small terminal connected directly to the choke by a pale blue wire and it was 7 volts. My carb was the DFTH with the black plastic cover on the choke and a centre threaded terminal.

hope this helps

greg

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/05 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sometimes manual choke conversion kits come up on ebay --- I bought one for my Weber -- very nice item.
vintagebuilder

posted on 19/4/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. Looking at earlier posts on this I've decided to dispense with the choke. It would appear that by turning the bi-metallic strip housing you can move the butterflies to a permanently open position.

Thanks anyway.

David

britishtrident

posted on 19/4/05 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Get a manual kit mine cost 15 pounds complete
Peteff

posted on 19/4/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have a choke, I just pump a couple of times then nurse it till it warms up. That's a Sierra carb with everything taken off except the linkage and turned round on the manifold.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

indykid

posted on 21/4/05 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
i've sorted mine david.

connected the choke to a 12V feed, direct from the battery, and from ignition on to choke fully open, it takes about 5mins, more than enough time for it to be sufficiently warm to run unaided.

as far as i can see, with the standard alternator, it would take longer to fully open, but i'd think it'l get driven a fair bit more spiritedly than a normal sierra anyway.

i used to spend a good 30seconds waiting for mine to even think about coughing to life, then 5-10 mins of nursing, but with the choke wired up, it starts like the production car it once was

hth
tom

vintagebuilder

posted on 21/4/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Tom,

You have U2U

Regards

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.