Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra stalks luego loom
the moa 2

posted on 2/5/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra stalks luego loom

Sorry ive been searching for a solution and found many threads about this but still cant get my head round it so after hours of reading ive giving up and hopefully one of you guys can help us out.

Building luego and got sierra steering column and loom from them, aswell as relay pack.

Found this on another thread so nicked it to try help explain things :

Washwiper/Lights Stalk;

15 Missing?! Switched feed for Headlights
56 = Brn + Blk - 2 cables, one goes to 56 on other stalk (S54)
53-2 = Blk & Grn To wiper relay
58 = Grey - Connected to side lights feed
53c = Blk Washer push
31b2 = Brn + Y Intermittent wipe from relay
W = Blk + Y (31?) GROUND
30 = Red - Connected to live fed from ignition switch

31b1 = Brn + Wh Live feed from ignition
53 = Grn To wiper motor
54 = Blk + Violet (S54?) Wiper motorFeed
53b = Red Wiper motorFeed

Headlights/Indicators stalk;

L = Blk + Wh - Connected to LH Ind.
49a = Blk + Wh - Connected to relay Flashing feed FROM f;lasher
54 = Blk - Connected to Switched supply
R = Blk + Grn - Connected to RH Ind.
H30 = Red - Connected to permenant supply Feeds hazards and horn with Ign off
49 = Blk + Red – feed TO flasher relay switched from 54 in normal pos

15 = Brn - Permenant Supply (31?) headlamp flash to 56a
56a = Brn + Y - Main Beam
56b = Brn + Wh - Dip Beam
56 = Brn + Blk - Connected to 56 on other stalk Power from light switch

I dont need any wiper wires as no screen so starting from the top i will try and explain what i have discovered so far using above guide.

Washwiper/Lights Stalk;

15 = anyone know what colour this is
56 = what do i do with the loose blk/brn wire ?
53-2 = DONT CARE AS NO WIPERS
58 = I have connected this to my RED side light wire from relay pack, is this correct ?
53c = DONT CARE AS NO WIPERS
31b2 = DONT CARE AS NO WIPERS
W = what the hell is this W ?
30 = Have connected this to large brown cable

31b1 = DONT NEED
53 = DONT NEED
54 = DONT NEED
53b = DONT NEED

Headlights/Indicators stalk;

L =
49a =
54 =
R = LEAVING THIS LOT FOR THE MINUTE
H30 =
49 =

15 = connected to large brown cable is this correct ?
headlamp flash to 56a = UNSURE WHAT THIS MEANS
56a = connected to BLUE WHITE wire from relay
56b = connected to BLUE RED wire from relay
56 = Connected to 56 on other stalk Power from light switch

A couple of extra question to add to this already mamouth task

I have from my luego loom 1 large brown cable which is permanent live and 2 smaller brown wires which are labled perm live but when connected to battery the 2 smaller cables arent live should i connected these to the larger brown cable to make them perm live ?

any help much appreciated

saigonij

posted on 2/5/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, connect the two browns to the large brown.

I can get you a description of which wires to connect to which items on the relay pack if you like as we have just done this, but i cant get them until the weekend - the car is not at my house, but a good hour away.

the moa 2

posted on 3/5/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
hi,
yea cheers mate that would be good.

thanks for the help.

just curious what are the two small brown wires for, and why are they not spliced in the loom in the middle?????????????

the moa 2

posted on 5/5/05 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
can anyone else maybe shead some light ?
wilkingj

posted on 5/5/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have not got that far yet.

however there are two sets of switches.
87a abd 83b or whatever the numbers are.
I believe (not read up on it) that one lot are switching live to the headlights, and the other switches earth.. all to do with how the relays are wired etc. This may be whats confusing.
First Identify which switch units you have, then you will know how they should be wired, ie earth or live switching.
Then you can proceed to wire up.

This is why you need (or dont need) the relay kit. There was the old wiring and the newer wiring. You need to know what you have.
Have a search around the net, or more importantly search the archives here... I bet it has been discussed before.

Again, I havent done this bit yet, but know there are two types of switch and they are wired differently, and revolves around the relays as well.

Good luck, and dont give up.. Take your time, and get it right.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b1lly

posted on 5/5/05 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, just figured out how to wire a set of Seirra stalks to the Luego loom also using the Relay pack. One thing I noticed is the Sierra stalks I used definately switch to ground for the DIP and MAIN BEAM while the MAIN BEAM FLASH is a +12V supply. The side lights are also a +12v when on.

There must be loads of different combinations and I will gladly document the wiring piout and share them with you. The interesting thing is if this does match what you have, you will need to change the relay pack wiring to make it work. So check to see if the Main beam and Head lamps wires short to gound when switched ( You will need the link from the lights to side lights to the Main dip switch for this to work as the earth is in the side light switch) let me know and I will post all the wiring early next week (I won't be at the car until the weekend) but this will give you Side Lights, Main Beam, Dip, Flasher, indicators and Hazards (Hazards work with ignition off for SVA).

Good Luck and don't worry, If I can sort it anyone can

[Edited on 5/5/05 by b1lly]

Peteff

posted on 6/5/05 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
while the MAIN BEAM FLASH is a +12V supply

I said that in the other thread. The wire that links the two sides is usually a brown with black stripe although I had one with a black wire instead. There was an earlier setup that used no relays apparently, so the switces were heavier contacts.

[Edited on 6/5/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

b1lly

posted on 6/5/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Peteff, you did indeed state that the main flash is +12v. The problem was my Sierra Stalks do not give +12 they short to ground (except the Main Beam flash). The Luego Relays are wired for the switches to give a +12v not a ground.

Why this is not standard I don't know. Go figure . The key is whether your switches provide ground or +12v when on. Once known the rest is easy

the moa 2

posted on 6/5/05 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi thanks for the responces lots to try and workl out !

I bought the sierra stalks from luego along with the relay pack so i presume id need the relay pack, and i presume then that the switches are set up to switch to +12 !

If this presumtion isnt write how do i tell if they switch to earth or +12 ?

These electrics are giving me a headache just thinking about them. At one point i myself with no help from anyone had the indicators working without hazards "which i was concerned about" i had side lights working and i had full beam and flash working but no main beam . Now i cant seem to figure any of it out and it seems you have to start from scratch each time so everything is fresh in your head as to where you are with things.

Anyway will have another go tonight i think

Not to sure what ill be doing

b1lly

posted on 9/5/05 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Method 1 - If you have a continuity checker see if ther is a short on the wire that comes from the Swicth to the relay pack (56b i think). See if you get continuity from here to either the Chassis or the Battery +12v. If it is to chassis the switch is to ground, if it is to the +12v then you get +12v supply

Method 2 - If you have a voltmeter, connect the black lead to the chassis and see if you get +12v to 56b (DIP). If you get 12v then you are getting +12v supply from the switch. If you get nothing. Move the black lead to 56b and the red lead onto the +12v battery. If you now get 12v then the switch is giving you an earth not a +12v supply.

Method 3 - Or connect two wires to a bulb. connect one on the +12v on the Battery. Connect the other to the output from your switches 56b. The bulb will stop should stop you causing a short (If you are unsure use a fuse as well - at your own risk)

If when you set your lights to the second position (by this I mean the side light switch up twice) the light comes on, you must have a ground through the switch
If indeed there is no short or the bulb does not light, try connecting the buld to ground and not to the positive terminal and see if it light s now. If it does then the switches rae goving +12v.

For these you will also need the linke 56 connected between both stalks.

56b is DIP 56 a is Main Beam - they both work in the same way so repeat the exercise.

If you have a ground on 56a / 56b when on then you will need to change the relay pack as well. Let us know and I can detail the wiring we did!.

the moa 2

posted on 12/5/05 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Right my switches switch to earth (well on the dip beam they did i didnt think to check the others !)

I have now got my dip beam working i didnt have the switched live connected on the lights/wiper stalk side for the dip beam it was black/violet on mine .

BUT NOW MY MAIN/FLASH DONT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can hear the relay click when i flash and when i push the stalk forward it turns off the dipped.

This is what i currently have connected for my lights no indicators for the minute just trying to sort these first.

Lights / Wiper Stalk

Red = connected 12v+
Black violet = connected to switched live
Grey = connected to Luego Red (side lights )
Brown Black = connected to other stalk and other wire left not attatcched to anything.

Indicator / dip main switch Stalk

Brown = connected 12+v
Brown Yellow = connected to Luego Blue White (main Beam)
Brown White = connected to Luego Blue Red (dipped beam )
Brown Black = connected to other stalk

Please help

b1lly

posted on 14/5/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, so it sounds the same as mine. I will post the complete wiring setup for you. One last question. Did you buy the Relay set from luego? If so I had to adapt mine so I will give you the wiring plan from the numbers on the Switch to the numbers on the relays.

Bare with me as the car is actaully a friends and I may not be around there until Tuesday.

[Edited on 14/5/05 by b1lly]

the moa 2

posted on 14/5/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers B1lly i look forward to it
richyb

posted on 6/6/05 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
B1lly,

did you manage to post your wiring set up. Just about to start wiring the column so it would be useful.

cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.