Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flashing Main beam using Sierra Column
b1lly

posted on 4/5/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Flashing Main beam using Sierra Column

Help!.

I am assisting a friend building a Luego and we have stumbled upon a wiring issue using the Sierra Column switches/Sticks. The Main and Dip switches seem to provide a route to earth so we have adapted the Luego Relay wiring loom to allow us to send +12 to the sierra switch where that provides the earth. All works.

When trying to use the Main Beam flash wire (labelled 15) gives me +12V when flashed. So I have added another Relay and use this + 12v to create anther route to earth for the Main beam and hence the lights flash when required.

The problem is when It flashes the relay makes a buzzing noise and I guess it is because there is low voltage or low current from the switch. Does anyone have any idea how i can get around this and still use the Sierra column. My only alternative would be to use a separate switch.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

saigonij

posted on 4/5/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
we have managed to use the relay pakc with out adapting it, and using the sierra stalks.

i cant remember the exact method we used to wire it up, but i can give you details when i get down to the kit car.

Hellfire

posted on 4/5/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
We managed it too with no problems? Odd...

Thinking about this last night, you haven't inadvertently wired it into (or included) a non-loaded indicator relay have you? This would give a similar result.

[Edited on 5-5-05 by Hellfire]

b1lly

posted on 5/5/05 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Good thinking but no the flasher relay isn't the problem. In fact if i take a battery 12v and connect it to my wiring it works fine. It is only if I use the 12v from the flasher switch.....wierd. I Wonder if maybe the switch is knackered.

The reason for posting is I see from so many threads that people have a nightmarewith the sierra wiring so wondered if there was an easy fix. All the lights, and flashes / indictaors work fine, just the Main flasher....

Hellfire

posted on 5/5/05 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Have you wired the relay in incorrectly? Putting the high load through the switch maybe?

In this case it would melt the housing and not give a firm/positive contact of the faces. In which case you would need a new switching unit.

Is the buzzing consistantly timed, or is it erratic?

Gazza

posted on 5/5/05 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Buzzing

Its a constant buzz from the relay - sounds like a wasp stuck in a plastic cup!

Just a bag o' rusty spanners

Peteff

posted on 5/5/05 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
The flasher stalk just puts power from a permanent live source through the main beam relay, you shouldn't need another relay.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Northy

posted on 5/5/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Is the 12volt well charged? I had a similar problem when installing my wiring with a flat 12volt

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
b1lly

posted on 5/5/05 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
May have found the problem (or maybe not) i was reading through an acr electronics mag and noticed you can buy Relays with a diode across the coil terminals (for sensitive circuits it said). So to mimic I connected a buld across the terminals so that lights in parallel with the relay coil and hey presto the buzzing has stopped!!!! Go figure.

Does anyone know what the why you can buy these relays? May have to pop and purchase one.

Thanks to all for your support - any thoughts on the relay would be good - I am a techy so like to understand the reason things are doing what they are do ing

Northy

posted on 6/5/05 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I light bulb just went on in my head!

Yeah thats what I ended up using, probably for the same reason. I got them mail order from Premier Wiring I think.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.