Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Large diameter heatshrink tube?
bigandy

posted on 10/5/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Large diameter heatshrink tube?

Afternoon all.

Does anyone have a source for large diameter heatshrink tube? I'm after a couple of metres of 100mm ID (before shrinking) tube, and all the people i speak to want to sell me 200 metres of the stuff....

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

longwayoff

posted on 10/5/05 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
A long shot but in the 1980s I made a fishing rod and bought some wide bore heat shrink tube from a large fishing tackle shop who sold rod blanks and the likes, I used it for part of the handle grip it was sold by the foot and did not cost that much. I seem to remember the colour range was limited to black and grey
DarrenW

posted on 10/5/05 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Why not buy the bulk. Chop it into 2m lengths. Bag it up and sell it for £1/bag delivered. (perhaps you may need to charge +P&P!!)

Sounds like an interesting size for covering suspension nuts etc. Have you tried RS or farnells?

Hellfire

posted on 10/5/05 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Sounds like an interesting size for covering suspension nuts etc. Have you tried RS or farnells?

Crikey darren how big are your (suspension) nuts???

bigandy

posted on 10/5/05 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
that's an idea! buy in bulk and sell it on!

I'm actually looking for it to cover some sharp edges on the spring adjust platforms on my coilover dampers (GAZ), and also an upper ball joint lock washer.

I checked RS and farnell, and then nearly fell off my chair at the £30-£60 cost before VAT for a metre!

My next line of attack is to approach some suppliers and ask for samples! Cheeky....

Cheers
Andy

PS. is there much interest in this sort of stuff?

Kissy

posted on 10/5/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Raychem in Swindon invented the stuff. It does exist in large diameters. Be careful if you get high ratio stuff it does not split on recovery, and make sure you don't overspec it, it'll cost you! For the quantity you want you need to go to Rayfast, also in Swindon, which is the 'shop counter', used to be part of Raychem, but got sold to some senior managers. Raychem itself is now owned by Tyco corporation (allegedly a bunch of scheisters, but I could not comment).
Try this: http://www.isxnet.com/

stevebubs

posted on 10/5/05 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Maplin

www.maplin.co.uk

Scratch that - they only do 10mm

[Edited on 10/5/05 by stevebubs]

ReMan

posted on 10/5/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you usr some innertube rubber, if its going to fall off at some point anyway?
paulf

posted on 10/5/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I used 8mm petrol pipe cut to fit under the spring seat and secured with a cable tie throught the middle as suggested by the SVA testers at Nottingham.It looks neat and is still fitted as it helps to protect the damper threads .
The same principle for the top ball joint nut.
Paul

bigandy

posted on 10/5/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of a rubber inner tube! Was this held in place with anything, or just relying on the fact it gripped what it was stretched over?

A for the petrol hose, then that sounds good too. Do you have a picture of it installed? I'm trying to imagine how you have it installed.

Cheers
andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.