Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this the same thing?
vintagebuilder

posted on 17/5/05 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Is this the same thing?

Afternoon everybody,

I got the Pinto fired up for the first time with lots of help from MKIndy7's dad Andy.

I had the rear wheels off the floor and car in neutral. With the clutch depressed -no problem. However when I let the clutch out there was a "grating " noise. This is a Type 9 box.

The Haynes manual, in the trouble shooting pages, describes these symptoms and says it is due to input shaft bearings worn. My queries are:

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you sort it?

Are the input shaft bearings the same as the spigot bearing referred to in earlier posts?

Would it be easier to buy a reconditioned gearbox.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

David

mookaloid

posted on 17/5/05 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Have you had the top cover off the box?

If so it might not have been put back on properly. The disc thingy needs to engage with the slot in the lid.

I have heard this making noises (and the gearchange not work!) when the lid has been refitted incorrectly

HTH

Mark

NS Dev

posted on 17/5/05 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, difficult one to diagnose on that basis!

Certainly the spigot bearing is not the imput shft bearing. The spigot bearing supports the end of the input shaft in the nose of the crankshaft.

Have you got oil in everything for a start! If so, then try it with the wheels on the ground and see what happens, gears with no load on them can clatter a fair bit (though I wouldn't call it a grating noise)

Possibilities are many then though, input shaft bearings, could be clutch release bearing carrier rattling (they often do) when it's not under load, could be layshaft bearings.

Most of these are unusual though, most common is the release bearing carrier rattling and general gear clatter from a worn gearbox that isn't in gear.

[Edited on 17/5/05 by NS Dev]

[Edited on 17/5/05 by NS Dev]

mookaloid

posted on 17/5/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, I have a spare type 9 box which will be going cheap if you need one

Just guessing, but are you in Yorkshire?

Cheers

Mark

MkIndy7

posted on 17/5/05 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Ours makes a bit of noise when in neutral, more of a rumbling rather than a grating noise.

It's been ok for 3k+ miles we've done now but our donor did come from outside a Transmission and clutch repair centre,
Think some1 must have been told how much the bill was and left the car lol.

U'll soon develop a strong left leg holding the clutch down at traffic lights!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.