Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Any advice on bending roll cage tubing
want2race

posted on 19/5/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Any advice on bending roll cage tubing

Im looking to bend 1.680 DOM steel.

I have a pipe bender but the die is correctly sized. Any advice before I screw up $300 in tubing?

Thanks
`Jonathan

kb58

posted on 20/5/05 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ask at the car fab shops in your area, even places that make off-road type cars. Since you're in GA, find a stock car fab shop. I had mine bent at a place that makes nothing but roll-cages, AutoPower in San Diego. If you fax them a drawing they can make it and ship it to you. They do it all the time.

It was about the only part of my car that I didn't even want to attempt on my own...

[Edited on 5/20/05 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
want2race

posted on 20/5/05 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
There are NO fab shops in my area!

I spent the day today trying to find a place with a ball joint reamer FOR AMERICAN CARS!~ Its damn standard for 99% of american cars.. Nobody had it.. and I asked about cages and Nobody will just do bends for me.. They want the entire cage.. AKA $1200 for something I can do for $120

jambojeef

posted on 20/5/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Bending 50mm CDS is hard!

You'l need a big bender

Geoff Rescued attachment bender.jpg
Rescued attachment bender.jpg

Peteff

posted on 20/5/05 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Geoff, you need a former with a better radius

Try bending it round the back of your neck instead of over your knee .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JonBowden

posted on 20/5/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, if you could find an off the shelf roll bar with the right width and similar height, you might be able to modify it for a seven.

Jon

Avoneer

posted on 20/5/05 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Jambojeef - is that a pic of the big bender?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jambojeef

posted on 20/5/05 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Big Bender

Liam would you like to comment?!
NS Dev

posted on 20/5/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have that problem before I realised that if you anneal the tube to some extent first, it works much better.

heat it to dull red for a length of around 10 inches in the area of the bend, then bend it while it's still pretty hot. Bends a treat then.

timf

posted on 20/5/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I used to have that problem before I realised that if you anneal the tube to some extent first, it works much better.

heat it to dull red for a length of around 10 inches in the area of the bend, then bend it while it's still pretty hot. Bends a treat then.

but if you want one thats msa approved then it has to be cold worked.

The Shootist

posted on 20/5/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered a muffler shop?

The newer stainless exhaust tube is pretty tough. A good muffler shop might be able to help.

For fabrication look under Erectors... online or in the phone book.

Industrial electricians also bend heavy wall conduit on occasion.

Try calling a few auto custom shops. Tuners etc. Or spend Friday/Staurday night at the local dirt track.

MikeR

posted on 20/5/05 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
quote:

Ahh but before Nat says anything the bending process work hardens the steel and its got to be better than nothing.

Liam

posted on 20/5/05 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Jambojeef - is that a pic of the big bender?

Oi!!!

The bender taking the photo is significantly larger!!

Was quite upset when this happened. Used a 12 ton hydraulic bender with the correct former and this happened??? I think the thickness may have been too much (3mm) and it just wouldn't stretch over the top. Dunno.

Amazingly the guy at newcastle metal supermarket took back the unbent piece of tube and I got most of me money back!! I'll leave it to the pros next time.

Liam

posted on 21/5/05 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
I dunno if it would pass SVA but i made the roll bar of my single seater with 50mm,3mm wall ellbows welded together.They cost close to nothing and you only need a flat surface for layout.
With the choice of 90°-45° etc.. you can pretty much make any shape you want.
Cheers Cita

jack trolley

posted on 21/5/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you used a 12 ton hydraulic bender like the Machine Mart one,
it's a PIPE bender. The 2" die refers to the internal diameter.
The external diameter is 2 3/8" - approx. 5mm wall thickness.

NS Dev

posted on 23/5/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
quote:

As Mike R said further up, you will work harden it again when you bend it, plus.........how will they know!!!!???

You only really have the one choice, as the only other option is to buy ready annealed CDS, which won't pass the strength requirements of the MSA spec anyway! If you try and bend un-annealed CDS in any bender, it will either crack or kink.

I have bent 45mm x 2.5mm and 45mm x 3mm CDS tube in my 12 tonne bender with the correct 45mm TUBE die (not pipe die) and locally annealing it.

If you are worried abut strength, use bigger tube. Don't worry about MSA regs, the tube will meet the tensile requirements after bending, and there is no way of knowing that it was locally annealed unless you section the tube and metallurgically test it, and then it ain't much good for a cage!

Liam

posted on 23/5/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you used a 12 ton hydraulic bender like the Machine Mart one,
it's a PIPE bender. The 2" die refers to the internal diameter.
The external diameter is 2 3/8" - approx. 5mm wall thickness.

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

quote:

If you try and bend un-annealed CDS in any bender, it will either crack or kink.

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Arse!

[Edited on 23/5/05 by Liam]

jambojeef

posted on 24/5/05 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well that explains something anyway!

Geoff

timf

posted on 26/5/05 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you try and bend un-annealed CDS in any bender, it will either crack or kink.

bar1
bar1

cds 1.75" tubing bent without annealing
no kinks or cracks.

[Edited on 26/5/05 by timf]

NS Dev

posted on 26/5/05 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
What was the exact steel spec?

I said un-annealed, that was quite probably annealed tube (not by you, by the people that made it!)

What was the code for the tube, should be CFS3 followed by a pair of letters, BK is cold finished, as finished (will crack/kink) BKW is cold finished soft condition, (will still probably crack or kink) GBK or GZF are annealed, will bend fine.

NBK or NZF are normalised, and to be honest I have still kinked this in a proper bender.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.