Board logo

LPG Conversions
zilspeed - 23/5/05 at 05:44 PM

Anyone done this on there everyday car ?

I'm thinking of converting ye olde mazda. As I understand it, I would be using a simple open loop system with a mixer on the carb. Fairly straightforward to actually install, and seeing as the kits are now relatively expensive - around £440 for what I would need including cylinder - my break even point would come around fairly quickly.

Unleaded - 83.9p / litre
LPG 29.9p / litre

£40 a week in unleaded would be about £14 on LPG on the miles I do. I know, I sound as tight as a camel's hole in a sandstorm, but I like to play by different rules when it comes to running cars and paying for fuel.

These prices are in my local Morrisons.

So - anything I haven't thought of ?

[Edited on 23/5/05 by zilspeed]

Ben Smith - 23/5/05 at 05:52 PM

Wish I could get gas for that price!

There is a thread about LPG in the maintenance and mods section.

Ben.

flak monkey - 23/5/05 at 06:00 PM

[sarcasm]I love the initiative to push the use of gas in everything from cars to power stations.[/sarcasm]

Whats left of natural resources run something like this:

Gas 50yrs
Crude Oil 75yrs
Coal 300yrs

Now i know that gas is the cleanest burning of most fossil fuels, but still...

David

Lawnmower - 23/5/05 at 06:11 PM

Insurance, some companies won't insure it and some may insist on it been done by a recognised installer. you must decalre it to them.

My new (1984) landy has it, but unfortunataly is sitting on drive with no MOT

£440 sound quite reasonable, have heard of nearly £1500 for a full installation.

btw you can make, and this is what the vicorian sused, 'naural gas' alternative from coal- somthing about heat under pressurised steam? = gas possably /including carbon mooxide.

eficiency goes down by about 10-20% apparanl for lpg, plus you need to change the engine timing some.

also, you need to put the tank somewhere.

flak monkey - 23/5/05 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Lawnmower

btw you can make, and this is what the vicorian sused, 'naural gas' alternative from coal- somthing about heat under pressurised steam? = gas possably /including carbon mooxide.

You can yes, but the gas you get from it is crap compared to natural gas (or at least it used to be). They have just pulled down the old gas works at home (been unused for decades).

David

zilspeed - 23/5/05 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Insurance, some companies won't insure it and some may insist on it been done by a recognised installer. you must decalre it to them.

My new (1984) landy has it, but unfortunataly is sitting on drive with no MOT

£440 sound quite reasonable, have heard of nearly £1500 for a full installation.

eficiency goes down by about 10-20% apparanl for lpg, plus you need to change the engine timing some.

also, you need to put the tank somewhere.

I know about the insurance side of things and have a list of insurers and their views on these things. The tank won't be a problem - donut or cylinder would either be fine.
£440 is for a kit - installation over a couple of weekends ?
Maybe an evening or two as well....

Marcus - 23/5/05 at 07:26 PM

quote:

carbon mooxide

Made from cow poo

Marcus

DavidM - 23/5/05 at 07:56 PM

quote:

Showing my age now. This was called coal gas and was used up until the late 1960's before North Sea gas came on line. One problem was toxicity as back then you really could top yourself by sticking your head in the oven. It also didn't need any artificial smell adding, unlike natural gas which is odourless at source.

David