Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 20XE transmission queries
MikeRJ

posted on 19/6/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
20XE transmission queries

Right, just picked up a complete 20XE engine, F20 box and all ancillaries for a very reasonable sum. I already have a Type 9 box, but I'm trying to decide wether to splash out on a bellhousing, or buy a s/h Omega box which would probably be cheaper.

Are there any disadvantages to using the Omega box? If I were to use the Type 9, would I need a 7 degree belhousing or a vertical one? Chassis is +4" wide, +1" tall if that has any bearing on the choice.

psst, anyone want a 205 block 2.0L injection Pinto engine with lowered/winged sump going cheap?

Stu16v

posted on 19/6/05 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Omega box is likely to work out cheaper short term. But, type 9 boxes are far easier to come by if you do have problems, and are better supported in terms of gearbox upgrades. the last point is valid as both the Omega box and the type 9 have a poor choice of ratio's for the engine type, and the car to which it is going to be fitted.

If you do go type 9, you want a verticla bellhousing. The other thing to bear in mind is that the length of the Ford box differs, depending whether it was fitted to a four pot or a V6 - the V6 box sits approximately an inch further away from the engine.

P.s. good choice of motor...

Dont just build it.....make it!

MikeRJ

posted on 19/6/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
P.s. good choice of motor...

I had a 16vGTE many years ago, and I could never understand people banging on about the lack of torque in a 16v lump, the Astra would pull hard in any gear, any RPM. Knew I had to have one when I started the Locost!

Looks like I'll go for the new bellhousing + type 9 then. Need to get it ordered up ASAP so I can get the engine placement sorted.

Another quick question, do you use the standard Vauxhall clutch with the Sierra friction plate (and new spigot bearning)?

Stu16v

posted on 19/6/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall clutch cover, and a suitable Ford clutch plate. TBH I honestly do not know where my clutch plate came from, it was sorted from a load of clutch plates my mate bought as a job lot (he owns a garage). Sierra 2.3 Diesel is supposed to do the job. However, if you get in contact with Yukspeed, they will sort the full conversion kit for the least money - or at least, they were when i rang round the usual suspects...

Dont just build it.....make it!

Jimbo

posted on 27/6/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
The spinner plate you require is Ford part No (I believe, anyway it has this pt no on the box) 81GB 7550 AA Which translates to a LUK part No of. 323 0181 16
MikeRJ

posted on 27/6/05 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the part numbers, very usefull!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.