Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is LSD really worth it ?
Richard Y

posted on 22/6/05 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
is LSD really worth it ?

im curious, ive been told instead of the normal sierra diff i should go for the 4x4 or cosworths LSD ??? is it really worth all the hassle trying to get all the bits for this ?

now ive already decided on 2.0 pinto sooo if i do decide to go LSD i will have to source individually all the bits i will need

can any one just list the bits i will need that are speciffic to mate up with the LSD if i do individually source an LSD what will i have to get with it ???

DarrenW

posted on 22/6/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I had same decisions. I was told that LSD's are good but if your driver skill needs honing it could be a while before you need the benefit of a LSD. Loads of people will say definitely go for LSD, loads will say you dont always need one. LSD's look good on the spec list and will impress the bar room crowd (ish) but you have to pay for it!
PPC have done a good article - might help you weigh up the pros and cons. There are different types of LSD just to make things more confusing.

I had a std diff so went with that for now. Using std Pinto as well. You could always put LSD and new drive shafts on your future project list. Quaife / gripper diff may be a diff rebuild option in the future.

NS Dev

posted on 22/6/05 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thought this was a drugs question at first!!! ho ho!!

If you are using your car as a fast country lane cruising type vehicle then you don't really need one.

If you intend "pressing on" somewhat on a regular basis, the spinning up of the inside rear wheel when exiting corners will quickly become an irritation, and you will want an lsd.

It is also easier to hold the car in a controlled slide with an lsd. It can be easier to get into the situation where you need to though as well!!

jambojeef

posted on 22/6/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Richard,

Im with Dev on this one. Im using an open diff on my locost but have the 7.5 cosworth LSD on my scorpio.

In the scorp slides are controlled and traction is never a problem! But there is some understeer initally when gently on the power making sharp turn ins.

I thought initially that this was owing to being a big heavy car and stuff (probably is really) but Marc at MNR said he had found low speed understeer with LSDs too and usually used open diffs on the Vortxs etc.

Have you got push in shafts? That might be your next stumbling block on the road to LSD!

Geoff

Alez

posted on 22/6/05 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have a live axle + open diff, I find it unsafe in the wet, and can also be a bit scary in the dry sometimes. I have this to keep the car light as it's a BEC so 128 cv, 460 kg.

Cheers,

Alex

PAUL FISHER

posted on 22/6/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
LSD'S

If you are going to be doing any track days then a LSD would be worth the extra investment,if not for normal road work,you would not gain any real advantage.
cheers PAUL

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

britishtrident

posted on 22/6/05 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Based on my Imp experience an LSD gives better handling on the exit slow bumpy hairpins (ie Knockhill of old) --- no other advantage.

A lot depends on the type of LSD and how worn I once drove a brand new E Type with a Salsbury plate LSD that was so tight it made parking the car embarassing. The old S Type Jag also had a an LSD but the effect was much less obvious. My Imp/Davrian used a pawl lsd which was a lot more gentle than its name sugests.
I wonder if it is possible to alter the friction characteristics of the viscous Sierra diff by using a different viscous fluid ?

[Edited on 22/6/05 by britishtrident]

tks

posted on 22/6/05 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
yeah

offcourse..

the hotter an liquid the liquider it will become..

sow use an thinner one.. will shutdown the lsd using an thicker one..

well you know

also the amount is important..(top it up
and you have max torque..)
but at half the level it will cost more power to activate lsd..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Northy

posted on 22/6/05 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I ran my Avon last summer with an open diff, and fitted an LSD over the winter. The car now puts the power down much better than before and seems alot more planted at the rear.

Also leaves two black lines, not just one now!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 22/6/05 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about the sierra viscous LSD, but the mazda one i DO know about, the viscous part was a sealed unit so the oil usd in the diff made NO difference to its slippery limiting!
cheers
Bob

Richard Y

posted on 22/6/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
ok so its something people would like and it sounds like its got some benifits coming on hard out of a turn

so how difficult / expensive is it gunna be later on for the conversion ?

or what will i need to buy extra if i go for a std 2.0 pinto what extra bits will ive have to get and change from the std ones to new parts for the lsd ??

JoelP

posted on 22/6/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
if you are considering the upgrade, you may as well start with a rear disc setup. All LSDs start as bolt on diffs, and hence only go with rear discs. All drums use push fit shafts. So this would be one issue out of the way.

A sportier 2 ltr pinto will have rear discs anyway, so it would be a direct swap. Ratios in LSD as standard are 3.62 from the v6 cars and 3.92 from the 2 ltr 4x4s. All 4x4s started with LSDs, unlucky if you found one without i guess.

An LSD will be around £50 from a scrapyard, up to about £125 for a full rear subframe (including discs and shafts etc). Maybe £75 bare, though it depends on source.

[Edited on 22/6/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

JoelP

posted on 22/6/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Worth pointing out, that if you lose control on a corner without an LSD, all that happens is one wheel spins - you are less likely to do a full spin. With an LSD, you will be going quicker due to the grip and acceleration being laid down better, but when it goes it will be both wheels at once, so you best make sure you practice driving sideways lots (carparks of course, officer )

Richard Y

posted on 23/6/05 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
cheers that doesnt sound to bad so in esence

lsd, both rear drive shafts, rear hubs and calipers, and discs and pads optional

that should be it right shouldnt need anything else ? time to get phoning so ford scrap yards eh!!

what happens with regards to the 4x4's and v6's that came with ABS ?? will that make a difference ??

Richard Y

posted on 23/6/05 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
i guess im gunna find out soon just ordered whole rear lot inc bolts drive shafts rear limited slip diff rear brakes and calipers etc etc for 100 + vat hope thats an ok price

lady wasnt sure on the phone but when she come back from the work shop they knew exactly what it was for and said i could pick it all up tomorrow

James

posted on 23/6/05 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Would be worth you finding out what it's from/mileage while your there.

Then atleast you know what ratio it'll probably be!

Cheers,
James

P.S. Your next task is to make it look like this:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=silver_diff.jpg

[Edited on 23/6/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Richard Y

posted on 23/6/05 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
lool looking good there buddy soon hehe soon mine will look the same

JoelP

posted on 23/6/05 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
if the car had ABS then you usually have to machine off the ribs on the drive shafts, i think.

Richard Y

posted on 23/6/05 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
so not too much extra then if its got abs... im glad as i already told umm to get it all of the car lol i hope its off a cossie will make me feel all special inside

Richard Y

posted on 24/6/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
noooooooooooooooooooo they pulled the car out and it was missing the LSD

was so looking forward to my first kit car parts

oh well guess ill just keep looking

Liam

posted on 24/6/05 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Noooooo!! Bad luck!

Might be worth getting the shafts, brakes and hubs anyway if they're still there and then you only need an LSD (or even a cheap non LSD to start with).

Oh and no, you don't really want it to have come from a cossie - that'll just mean it's all a load fatter and heavier.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomm

posted on 24/6/05 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
YES - I'd driven my car for 15 years on standard diff, then fitted Quaife atb, on the standard tyres I was using - ie Normal budget tyres I never noticed any difference, BUT using quality tyres Yoko 21's 32's of 48's WOW what a difference, so depends whether you consider the Yoko tyres worth the extra cost I do and will never use budgets again. trouble is the cornering power is really too insane to be used on road
Richard Y

posted on 25/6/05 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
SORTED! found another complete set else where lets hope this pans out!!!!

cheaper too

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.