Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to spot an LSD ??
Richard Y

posted on 25/6/05 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
How to spot an LSD ??

sorry for the separate post here but i need an answer if there is one quick sharp

after my failure before i picked up the yellow pages and started phoneing ive found a 4x4 model in a scrap yard but its only the 2.0 one how can i tell if its the LSD diff on it ?? ford cant even tell by looking at there computers, now my thinking is that normal diff ones have the push in style drive shafts ?? and the LSD ones use the bolt on jobbies or can it be a normal diff but with rear disk brakes ????

lol i really dont wanna by an normal one and go round thinking its lsd looool

flak monkey

posted on 25/6/05 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
The LSDs had bolt on drive shafts i believe. Also if you hold the input shaft still and turn one of the wheel shafts the other should turn in the same direction. If it turns the opposite direct you have a normal diff, doubly so if it has the push in shafts.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Richard Y

posted on 25/6/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
cheers buddy some scrapy near dersingham so not to big a drive

Richard Y

posted on 25/6/05 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
parts ordered £85 + vat for the whole lot incl bolts bargin

mookaloid

posted on 25/6/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
2.0 litre diff may be 3.92 ratio.

Only real way to check if it IS a LSD is to take the back off and check.

Use new allen bolts instead of the torx drive things to fasten the drive shafts on.

HTH

Mark

JoelP

posted on 25/6/05 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
and not all bolt on diffs are LSD. it needs to come from a 4x4. Someone said that the code on the tag should have two A's in it if it is LSD, position not important.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Richard Y

posted on 25/6/05 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
definatly a 4x4 one but its only the 2.0 engine, i shall look for the aa mark when i go to collect on monday

keep umm coming lol

seems like every scrap yard i ring knows exactly what im building, they all like building a kit car eh .... im supprised the prices are not inflated becuase of people constantly being after these parts??

flak monkey

posted on 25/6/05 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
The only know round our area due to Tiger and Luego being in such close proximity and probably nicking most of the decent donor bits that go in

Sera

Mr G

posted on 25/6/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
It should be a 3.92 lsd.

Check box (10) of the underbonnet Vin Plate

M=3.14 ( 7" or 7.5" )
A=3.36 ( 7.5" )
V=3.38 ( 7" )
U=3.62 ( 7" )
3=3.64 ( 7.5" )
9=3.91 ( 7.5" )
D=3.92 ( 7" )

Also take a look at this for reference.

The metal tag on the diff (if its still there) will have 'MC' on it if its open (non lsd). If there is an 'A' in the code then it's got an LSD.

The ratio will also be contained in the letters/numbers on the tag i.e 392.

However you still can't take these as gospel as i've personally seen incorrect information on both vins and diff tags where they are from the factory.

Cheers

G

[Edited on 25/6/05 by Mr G]

andyps

posted on 25/6/05 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
The easiest way to check (as tags etc may be missing or unreadable) is the rotation mentioned earlier. Open diffs will rotate drive shafts in opposite directions when one is turned, lsd's they turn the same way. Easy to check when the diff is still on the car provided both sides are jacked up.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

gazza285

posted on 25/6/05 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
Open diffs will rotate drive shafts in opposite directions when one is turned, lsd's they turn the same way. Easy to check when the diff is still on the car provided both sides are jacked up.

That works for plate LSDs, but doesn't work for viscous ones unless you turn the shaft quickly enough.

[Edited on 25/6/05 by gazza285]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 26/6/05 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
Open diffs will rotate drive shafts in opposite directions when one is turned, lsd's they turn the same way. Easy to check when the diff is still on the car provided both sides are jacked up.

That works for plate LSDs, but doesn't work for viscous ones unless you turn the shaft quickly enough.

[Edited on 25/6/05 by gazza285]

I rejected 2 perfectly good LSD's using that test

Not tried the torque measuring method, but you can be certain if you take the back off to have a look.

Cheers

Mark

JoelP

posted on 26/6/05 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
if you take both wheels of then it is more likely to turn the same way, due to the reduced angular moment (rotational inertia if you prefer). I find that with the weight of the wheels on, it doesnt usually turn the opposite wheel.

With the diff bare though, i found that it does tend to move both together, and as it was a bit oily it wasnt too easy to turn the against each other.

Richard Y

posted on 26/6/05 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
looking forward to collecting monday and getting some pics up of it, fingers crossed

theres a main washer / o ring on differentials isnt there ? is it worth renewing? also is there oil in these things or just grease ? the computers at work said oil ep80/90

flak monkey

posted on 26/6/05 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
They are filled with oil Ep90 is standard for transmission. Not sure how much they take though.

Sera

JoelP

posted on 26/6/05 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
no real need to replace seals unless they leak. Make sure it has enough new oil, and it should be fine.

Mr G

posted on 26/6/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
LSD's take 1 litre.
Richard Y

posted on 28/6/05 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
i checked the vin plate it was D so that going by your vin plate guide equates to a 3.92 LSD... so youd think id be happy... noooo

i got there 80 miles round trip and they had left all the lower chassis / trailing arm / a frame what ever it is all attached how the hell was that gunna fit in my little megane coupe! they said they didnt wanna rip my leather seats so i couldnt collect the bits !! now i gotta wait two weeks for my next day off and take my tool kit down there and take umm apart i still think they should dismantle it for me they say its gunna take to long ! gits

looked like allen key style nuts holding on the drive shafts ? any tools you guys reccomned me taking just so i dont get stuck with out tools in the middle of norfolk might have to invest in a haynes manual

James

posted on 28/6/05 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
You'll be lucky to get the Torx bolts off easily.

Best thing to do is grind 'em off and just replace them with Allan key socket caps at 10p a shot.

Other than those it's pretty simple. The 13mm hub to carrier bolts can be pretty tough so be prepared to round them off too.

You may need a drift to get the long top and bottom bolts out through the diff.

Also, take some sheeting with you as it'll all be dirty as hell and you don't wanna wreck your interior!

Oh, and if you wanna change the bearings then you'll need to undo the 41mm hub nuts. These need minimum 220lb/ft so it's easier to do with the thing still in the trailing arm/ A frame. (Easier still in the car with the wheels on! ).

Take a mate with you!

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

JoelP

posted on 28/6/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
i used an impact wrench on my driver shaft bolts - it broke halfway through. it is much easier with a grinder (thin disc!) but i wanted to be quiet for the neighbours. not a problem in a scrap yard!!!!

Liam

posted on 28/6/05 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
You're gonna have to undo the hubnuts and disengage the hubs in order to get the shaft and hub/hub carrier free of the trailing arm. Pretty sure that's the case having done a few but i could be wrong.

Hopefully the scrappy has an air impact gun with a 41mm socket you can borrow, which will make that easy (what kind of scrappy wont??). Otherwise it's gonna be rather tough with the assembly already removed.

Bring cold chisels, crow bars, large hammers etc and prepare for a lot of levering and bashing. The long diff bolts will never come out without being drifted nearly all the way! So bring something long and thinner than an m12 bolt - big old phillips screwdriver maybe.

Should only take an hour or so if you have the right tools. I even chisselled round all the driveshaft bolts, but as james says you may be better off grinding off the heads. Having said that try the torx bit (T40) first - you may get lucky. I remember one sierra shaft I did and all the bolts popped off nicely without destroying my torx bit!! Very rare occurence by all accounts though.

Good luck

liam

[Edited on 28/6/05 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Y

posted on 29/6/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a long day it would appear on saterday then lol first at 8 im going to my mates to get him and his landrover then we going to load the diff complete with shocks and a frames and hubs / discs striaght into the back of his landy then back to mine! then into my meggy and off to MK sportscars for a test drive lol me and me mate granted we still got some saving but we both wanna buy a kit at the same time thus two kits of similiar design from same company but different look, maybe we get some discount for two kits looooooool

them hub nuts will i be able to get it up on to a vice ! tighten it up and breaker bar the hub nuts off ????

Liam

posted on 29/6/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Y
them hub nuts will i be able to get it up on to a vice ! tighten it up and breaker bar the hub nuts off ????

That's a heck of a heavy lump to get in a vice!! You might be able to grip a hub or shaft though to stop it turning and use a breaker bar. Or maybe on the floor you could put bars/tubes between the wheel studs of one hub and the prop bolts, thus stopping either from turning, then get a breaker bar on the remaining hub and undo. You may need people to stand on the tubes you're using to stop things turning.

I'm sure you'll think of something! But if I were you I'd ask the friendly scrappy to crack em with an air impact wrench. 10 second job either side.

Good luck...

Liam

Danozeman

posted on 30/6/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
The easiest way if the scrappy wont undo em is come home via a garage and get them to blast em off. Worth a fiver they is tight.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Richard Y

posted on 30/6/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
lol im getting the impression they is tight loool

i got a few months before i can get the doner car on the drive so im not in any hurry just wanted to get some of the more difficult parts since they was only a hour away and 85 squids! bargin

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.