Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield brake balance
Petemate

posted on 27/6/05 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield brake balance

Hi all
I have a mate with a Blackbird engined Westie. Among the various problems (resulting in two pages of fail points on SVA) we have rear brakes too efficient. The car was built from a full kit, and there is no mention of any pressure limiting arrangement for the rear brakes. SVA brought up rears too efficient, better than fronts. The rear set-up is disc. Make no mistake, Westfield have been totally useless with all of his queries including this one. I have never heard of any company so unhelpful, and am not afraid to say so. I have advised him to obtain and fit a pressure-reducing valve as fitted to Fiestas etc. Will this suffice? Any one else had this problem?
Answers gratefully received.
Petemate

spaximus

posted on 27/6/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
westfield

I have never seen a westfield with more than a few points of failure, no matter how badly built. As for the brakes if your mate would like to visit the Westfield forum with details of what is fitted I am sure we can help him out. The easiest way to get the balance right is to fit bigger front brakes but that is assuming he only cortina ones at present.
britishtrident

posted on 27/6/05 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Either a rear pressure limmiting valve is needed in the rear brakes the Fiat Uno valve is popular and very cheap see http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=21534
or a biased pedal box

Petemate

posted on 27/6/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys
Thanks for your speedy response - I'll pass the info on. Great forum!
Petemate

[Edited on 27/6/05 by Petemate]

Hellfire

posted on 27/6/05 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Change the pads on the front to more efficient one's. Replace the rears with less efficient one's.

As long as Front's lock up before Rear's - problems resolved.

James

posted on 28/6/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Pete,

We may be able to help with the other failure points.

Can you scan the sheets in or list the failures?

Cheers,
James

P.S. The tester hadn't recently caught your mate in bed with his wife or anything had he?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.