Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inlet manifold
Ben Graber

posted on 1/7/05 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Inlet manifold

I've got hold of a engine and box for my car, it's out of a D reg 2.0i s sierra. I have no loom or any of the ecu's for the engine so i am planning on sticking a standard pinto manifold and carb on for now (i've also got twin 48 webbers but no manifold and no means of setting them up properly for sva emissions test) I was speaking to someone today who said the injection head had oval inlet ports instead of round ones like a carb'd head and that a standard manifold wouldn't seal properly causing emissions to be sky high. Anyone had this problem before i source a manifold and carb?
nick205

posted on 1/7/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure that the inj' Pinto head has round inlet ports the same as the carb'd head. As I understand it, the inj' head has slightly better breathing as standard, but should be absolutely fine with a carb inlet manifold and carb set-up.

The Cosworth head, which will fit to a Pinto block (same basic block, better casting and stronger internals) has oval ports, which siamese to two inlet tracts for the two inlet valves.

HTH
Nick

MkIndy7

posted on 1/7/05 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
The injected pinto head has oval ports because the injectors which are right against the head, need the clearance to spray directly onto the back of the valves.
ady8077

posted on 1/7/05 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ben

Yes inj pinto has oval ports, but i've used a twin weber manifold with no probs. If the standard manifold wont seal just make up an adapter plate out of ally, fit an inj gasket between plate and engine and a carb gasket between plate and manifold

Adrian

Ben Graber

posted on 3/7/05 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks for the help. Would either of these two carbs be worh getting? Ebay 1 or Ebay 2

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.