Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Airbox
Triton

posted on 4/7/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Airbox

What are the BEC lot doing about airboxes ?

Mark

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Petemate

posted on 4/7/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark
My lad has a 'Busa-engined Dax on the road. At first, the foam ITG filter was driving him mad - doing hi ears in on even moderate journeys. He modified the standard 'Busa airbox, fitting it round the other way. The back is cut out, and a carbon plate fitted, into which is fitted a 100mm tube from Reverie, fed from insside the nosecone through a nice ram intake. Result, no drop in performance and pleasant on the ears, now very driveable. I'll try and post some pics later this eve.
HTH
Petemate

andy d (rizla)

posted on 4/7/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
lots of debate about this,but i dont use one i have a pipercross filter,looks far better than a lump of plastic under the bonnet imho

and the noise isnt noticeable what so ever

[Edited on 4/7/05 by andy d (rizla)]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Petemate

posted on 4/7/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes, Andrew, but your filter is under the bonnet! Dave's was sticking out for about half its height, due to the shallow Dax bonnet, and the noise was IN HIS FACE!! Hoping pics work....
Petemate
P.S. sorry for the pic size - haven't got the hang of Mat's re-sizing thingy yet

[Edited on 4/7/05 by Petemate] Rescued attachment DSCN1597.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1597.JPG

Petemate

posted on 4/7/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
And another... Rescued attachment DSCN1595.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1595.JPG

Triton

posted on 4/7/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Reason i asked really was ..i have made a mould to make an airbox that is sorta universal as it fits across twin 40's as well as 4 bike carbies.....it has a 2" inlet so ideally air is taken from down in the nosecone where it's cold....thru filter first of course then ducted up to the box..
Having a pipercross type filter on and under the bonnet has the motor sucking warm if not bloody hot air.....poking out the bonnet will lead to weird mixtures as air flow hits front carbie first....
Will be doing a few in carbon fibre soon.

The roar the foam filter makes is ok on a bike but a pain in the arris in a road car...imo any road.

Surrey Dave

posted on 4/7/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Can I be a test pilot? Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 5 sml2.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 5 sml2.jpg

Guinness

posted on 4/7/05 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, I'll buy a pre-production prototype tomorrow.

Zaris did one in CF. I missed the auction and they wanted daft money to make another on demand. Me I just want one in fibreglass.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4542201988

Mike

Triton

posted on 4/7/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I will make one then post a photie along with measurements......

Tell you what first one to shout loudest and send cost of a packet of 20tabs gets one to play with/test and say what they think...

Jon Ison

posted on 4/7/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
surley you want one trying on the track 1st before its let loose on the road.........

Guinness

posted on 4/7/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
BENSON'S OR MARLBORO
Surrey Dave

posted on 4/7/05 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
OH PLEASE PICK ME!!!!!

I'M A BIT FICK DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TABS WERE..................

HERE'S AN ABOVE PHOTO TO GIVE CLEARANCE IDEA

GROVEL DOUBLE GROVEL....
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 4 sml.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 4 sml.jpg

Triton

posted on 5/7/05 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
Surrey bloke,
What kinda distance have you got between front carbie and chassis rail.....as airbox is 90mm deep

Guinness,
Benson's.

Jon,
Oh yeah you race in the RGB i saw you spin at Donington in the GT1 out of goddards onto start straight....faced wrong way...right in front of me.....lucky not to get spanked.....

Right i will do 3 as one has a car lump on bike carbies one BEC the other is racing so all areas covered......send me your address's and wait for postie.

Mark

Surrey Dave

posted on 5/7/05 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
The carb openings are above the chassis rail , but i'll measure how much tonight, and also the distance from the carb mounting face to where the bonnet would be, would the intake be on the front of the box?

The carb bores are 38mm which may give a clue, and the top of the throttle cable 90 degree tube is only just low enough for the bonnet hieght.

Thanks a lot, will post or U2U details later. Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 6 vsml.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 6 vsml.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 5/7/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
How about one for a ZX12R Engine? Unfortunately, they don't use airboxes, so we can't even get hold of one to modify it........

PLEASE

[Edited on 5-7-05 by Hellfire]

marc n

posted on 5/7/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How about one for a ZX12R Engine? Unfortunately, they don't use airboxes, so we can't even get hold of one to modify it........

they have an airbox, but it is part of the frame, luckily the last engine i got came with the frame so we cut it out and used it

would be interested in you airbox mark,

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Surrey Dave

posted on 5/7/05 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Is it all over for me?

I dont want to cut holes in my new bonnet........ Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 4 sml airbox.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 4 sml airbox.jpg

Triton

posted on 5/7/05 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
For fitting to bike carbies it might be best to keep or get hold of the rubber jonny trumpet bits between std airbox and the carbies.

MNR bloke.....no probs.
How wide across the carbies is the ZX12....?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/7/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire - one of the RGB guys modded a busa airbox to run on his ZX12 so it might be worth looking into that if you want one.

marc n

posted on 6/7/05 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
hellfire
might have a spare airbox in frame from a zx12 if your interested let me
know

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hellfire

posted on 6/7/05 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Mark & Marc,

you both have U2U.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.