Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MGF 1.9 engine with Honda S2000 gearbox
erwe

posted on 5/7/05 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
MGF 1.9 engine with Honda S2000 gearbox

What do I need and is it possible to join an engine 1.9 VVC from an MGF and a gearbox from a Honda S2000 6 speed?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ettore bugatti

posted on 5/7/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about this, but I do believe the rotation of Honda S2000 engine is different then the Rover K-series. So I dont think it can.
britishtrident

posted on 5/7/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Unlikely Rover K16 1.8 VVC engines are not related to Honda units in anyway.
gazza285

posted on 5/7/05 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Usual stuff, bellhousing adapter, a new head gasket, either a suitable clutch plate to fit the Rover flywheel and Honda shaft or a new flywheel to take the Honda clutch complete, a new head gasket, maybe a thrust bearing spacer depending on how the two mate together, another head gasket. Does the Honda box use a spigot bearing? If so one will have to be fitted onto the end of the Rover crank and finally a head gasket.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 5/7/05 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
bit worried about the number of head gaskets....
Bob C

Bob C

posted on 5/7/05 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
better put 3 more on the list...
Liam

posted on 5/7/05 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I think there's already a pretty decent engine that will fit straight onto the S2000 gearbox no problem!

Liam

gazza285

posted on 5/7/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
A pretty reliable one too.
colibriman

posted on 5/7/05 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
and I have (still) got one for sale !

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
indykid

posted on 5/7/05 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
if i can have it for the price of a pint, i have a home for it since you (still) have it

tom

[Edited on 5/7/05 by indykid]

Ben Smith

posted on 5/7/05 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
It can be done , just don't know how!! There was a "caterham copy" unfinshed project on ebay last week with a K series and s2000 gearbox. From the pics it looked like the engine and box had all been bollted together. Didn't say what bell housing though. Auction finished yesterday, car not sold.

Ben.

gazza285

posted on 5/7/05 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Not quite. The engine and gearbox were next to each other, actually fastening them together in a workable manner was one of the things on the "to do" list. There's a gap between the two.

Arthur Dent

posted on 5/7/05 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
Not sure about this, but I do believe the rotation of Honda S2000 engine is different then the Rover K-series. So I dont think it can.

the S2000 rotates the usual way. Its the Honda fwd stuff that goes the other way. I believe their newer stuff is changing to the usual rotation.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

zilspeed

posted on 5/7/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colibriman
and I have (still) got one for sale !

You sure about that ?

I thought Melvyn looked awfull close to biting at the weekend. And there's another Autotune Gemini - just like the one he already has - for sale on here right now

Ben Smith

posted on 5/7/05 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well spotted. I didn't read the to do list.
Good job I didn't buy it!

Ben.

britishtrident

posted on 5/7/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur Dent

the S2000 rotates the usual way. Its the Honda fwd stuff that goes the other way. I believe their newer stuff is changing to the usual rotation.

The V6 Honda (Rover 827 lump ) is also conventional.

britishtrident

posted on 5/7/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Not quite. The engine and gearbox were next to each other, actually fastening them together in a workable manner was one of the things on the "to do" list. There's a gap between the two.

Dosen't look possible without masses of alloy welding and machining

gazza285

posted on 5/7/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
All depends on the length of the input shaft really, if it's too long then a simple adapter plate will do, if it's too short then it gets a little more complicated.
Liam

posted on 5/7/05 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The V6 Honda (Rover 827 lump ) is also conventional.

Yup, as is the NSX V6 and th erest of their V6s (legend, accord etc). It's just the 4cyl VTECs until the S2000 that go the wrong way.

Liam

colibriman

posted on 5/7/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
'You sure about that ?

I thought Melvyn looked awfull close to biting at the weekend. '

Ahh well....we did have a fairly lengthy chat about it..He lives not far from me and is going to come and see it to see if he thinks it will fit.
He makes his car fly with a cross flow in it...He would be awesomely quick with the S2000 in it...

Indykid.... Thanks for the offer of the pint... I'll bear it in mind!

[Edited on 5/7/05 by colibriman]

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.