Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting started
jos

posted on 11/7/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Getting started

Right. How would you reccommend getting started on the wiring loom installation.

We began on Saturday by taking everything out of the bag (Premier Sierra loom) and by the end of the day we none the wiser and a lot more frustrated.

We think we've identified most of the sections but I was hoping for some guidance from prior builders and hints and tips to get us started as we are both comlete electrical dufusses.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

David Jenkins

posted on 11/7/05 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
To start with, I would lay the loom out on the chassis - use string, tape, or anything similar to give a temporary fastening (you may decide to change the position of something). Get all the parts roughly where they belong, and check that you've got all the right colour wires next to whatever they're supposed to be connected to.

Then, pick a part of the system - sidelights, or headlights, or indicators, or similar - and concentrate on getting just that one bit working (forget the rest). Once that's working well, pick another part and get that connected. In other words, limit yourself to small easily achievable targets that can be finished and tested. Only put the fuse in for the part you've just finished and about to test.

A basic test meter can be a help.

It's not too hard, if you break it down into manageable chunks.

David

mookaloid

posted on 11/7/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
The trickiest bit for me was the coulmn switches - It was a lot easier when i realised that the terminals have numbers on them

Also Identify at anearly stage which coulmn switch you have (there are 2 types) - it helps

Also do what David said

Cheers

Mark

brunocrossley

posted on 11/7/05 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring

Substituion of the car battery with something like a PP3 can allow for testing of some circuits without a terminal meltdown if something isn't right.

Mark

jos

posted on 11/7/05 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Whats a PP3 and what is something like a PP3

[Edited on 11/7/05 by jos]

DarrenW

posted on 11/7/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know the best way but i have done mine like this so far;

Step 1 - rear loom in first. This got rid of a chunk of wires and got me 'tuned' into the destructions.
Step 2 - Front loom - went through the instructions and labelled up the major circuits. Also taped up the ones i wont need (wipers, sunroof, air con etc)
Step 3 - routed the engine loom, trying to remember what ancillaries need connecting and where they are. I got this wrong and have since needed to add some wires, conduit has been split but a sod to get them in later - do a dry build then wrap them after.
Step 4 - route the dash harness, mount relays etc.

This is far as i have got. Take it slow, methodical and dont leave big chunks of time between doing the jobs like i have done. Ive now also got DD2 and immobiliser to graft in at the same time - head is starting to fry!!.

Im no expert but will be travelling down to Malvern on Wednesday early evening (5 ish) if you want me to try and help with words on encouragement???

mookaloid

posted on 11/7/05 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
Whats a PP3 and what is something like a PP3

[Edited on 11/7/05 by jos]

A torch battery

jos

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Darren for the offer, all help is gratefully accepted but on this occasion I think the detour would not be justified, detailed pics would probably be best to get me started. Thanks for the cable pics btw.

Thanks also to mookaloid. I shall investigate a PP3 asap although I do have a volt/ammeter so will try that first.

James

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Jos,

I've very nearly finished fitting my Premier loom and I know nothing about electrics either.

As I've gone on I've been more and more impressed with the loom.

It's just a case of breaking down into small jobs.

You got Premier to fit the indicator plugs etc. right? So, first thing to do is, as David said, start laying the loom out where you want it.

Start with the central loom by tying the indicator plug end up to the column and lay the rest of that piece across the chassis.

Then take the rear loom (use the paper sheets to identify which one this is) and lay it out towards the rear down the tunnel.

Then do the same with the front loom.

Next thing to do is go through all the wires, identifying and labelling them- it'll make it a lot easier when you come to fit/trim them.

The start sealing and tying up the ones you aren't amybe gonna use like wipers/heater etc. etc.

Hope that helps,
James

EDIT: What I've also done is add in a load of spare wires of various diameter down to the rear and the front. This means that when I add electrical stuff there is already wires in place ready to use. Things like power for fuel pumps etc. if I ever go injection.
Oh, and use the split conduit aswell. I thought I was well prepped enough to get away with the rubber tubing that premier supply and then break out from that but there were of course some things I forgot and putting them in later is a real pain- split conduit is the way to go!

[Edited on 11/7/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

jos

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, Premier have just supplied the loom. Nothing extra has been fitted to it.

The rear loom is a section of the ball of spagetti ive got at the moment, but I think I know which roll/loop/section it is.

What happens when I find that the colour wire that I am looking for is not there/different/more than 1 etc etc

panic

panic

DavidM

posted on 11/7/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've just finished wiring mine with a premier loom. Did it basically the same as James but used the premier tubing. I did cheat to a certain extent because I sent my column plugs to Premier and they fitted them for me. I found everything else to be reasonably straightforward working on one circuit at a time and testing with a battery charger. Oh and PaulF checked the ignition circuit diagram I drew up, and answered a couple of queries I had. Thanks Paul.

I also am an electrical numpty.

David

Proportion is Everything

tom_loughlin

posted on 11/7/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
i have just about finished the wiring, such a nice job once completed.
i only had a couple of probs, the drivers fornd indicator doesnt work, and warning lights, but im pretty sure its just me being stupid
i started by laying the main bit along the scuttle bit and taping it in place roughly, then do each thing one at a time.

all the best

tom

James

posted on 12/7/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Don't Panic!

quote:
Originally posted by jos
Nope, Premier have just supplied the loom. Nothing extra has been fitted to it.

The rear loom is a section of the ball of spagetti ive got at the moment, but I think I know which roll/loop/section it is.

What happens when I find that the colour wire that I am looking for is not there/different/more than 1 etc etc
panic
panic

As the great book would say (printed in large, friendly letters on the cover): DON'T PANIC

You've just got to force youself to get on with it. I umm'd and errr'd and worried about it for a month before saying to myself:

"Do I want to finish the car?"
Answer: Yes

"Do I need wiring in the car to finish it?"

"shall I just force myself to get on with it?"

I spent about 2 evenings just examining the loom and going through the sheets and familiarising myself with it all.

It all takes time and patience but at the end of the day it's got to be done if you want to finish the car!

It's a pity you didn't get Premier to fit the plugs for you but not the end of the world.

Just get the rear loom and fit the metal blades into the appropriate orange connector. Then do the same with the front loom and the blue connector. (Obviously you need to fit the blades in the right locations to match the connector on the central loom!).

Then lay them out in the approximate area and then identify the wires with the paper sheets (there are no duplicate colours) and label them up.

Once you've got this far you'll have the hang of it and it'll be easy.

Make sure you busy some heat shrink sleeving and join wires with solder/heat shrink as it's much more reliable than crimp connectors.

Hope that helps, if you move house closer to me I'll come round and help!

All the best,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.