Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Kit?
MilesE

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Which Kit?

I'm looking into building a kit car, and I've started researching it on the net.

I used to have a stripped out throttle bodied Nova which was a lot of fun, I then got a bit bored and bought a Calibra turbo, and whilst its quick (300+ bhp) its just not as much fun as the small lightweight, loud Nova I had before it. Its just too dampened with no feedback; not enough of the feeling that its trying to kill you.

So I figured the ultimate fun car has to be a kit car, along with the fun and chance to learn a lot by building one myself.

So, what are the basic alternatives for builds?

I'm not to keen on the traditional old fashioned '7' look (call me vein) and I'm drawn to the Sylva Mojo. How do these compare to the more 7 style (front engine) driving and handling wise?

Any reasons not to go for the Mojo, or anything that maybe a better alternative? Anything I need to bear in mind, and any specifics that need to be considered when chosing a kit?

As you can tell I've not built a kit car before, but have done quite a lot of work on factory cars, built engines, engine transplants, fitted brakes, suspension, roll cages etc. Am I going to struggle with the build? Or will I get by with the 'if I can do it I'll enjoy learning how to do it' attitude?

I'm after at least 200bhp in whatever I build, which will be as light as possible, which probably means I'd have to go for the vtec if I went for the mojo. Anyone know much about tuning these na?

Any recommended kit car shows in the UK where I can get a feel for things? Hopefully as far southwest as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Miles

mookaloid

posted on 11/7/05 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think a Calibra turbo engined mojo would be quite something

From what you say about your experience, you should have no problems with a build like a Mojo

Good luck

Mark

MilesE

posted on 11/7/05 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well, when I come to sell the Calibra it will go in bits because they are worth much more that way.

Has anyone fitted an XE/LET to a Mojo?

I dont think there would be clearance for a turbo between the engine and back of seats, would get mighty hot in that gap as well!

Would be interesting though, could mount the intercooler in one of the side vents.

I've grown to be a big fan of throttle bodies though, and think that style of engine will suit a kit car much more than a turbo.

[Edited on 11/7/05 by MilesE]

Hellfire

posted on 11/7/05 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Not keen on a real car then?

Go BEC!

MilesE

posted on 11/7/05 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Excuse my ignorance, whats BEC?
Hellfire

posted on 11/7/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MilesE
Excuse my ignorance, whats BEC?

You really are a newbie!
Bike Engined Car - BEC
Car Engined Car - CEC

Ours has almost 200bhp which equates to almost 400bhp/tonne. Will beat just about "anything" 'ont road. Will will have a video soon of our's on the road.. just give me time. Have a look at our website video if you have broadbean give this a click >HERE< if you dont have broadbean still click it - just takes longer! Have a look at our website - gives you an idea of how to do it - vaguely!

ATB

[Edited on 11-7-05 by Hellfire]

MilesE

posted on 11/7/05 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think that link works? The file is only 1kb, unless I'm doing something wrong?

I'm with you now. I was under the impression that using bike engines requires expensive gearboxes to get reverse, that they have limited life and are expensive to buy and tune? And still have no torque..

How heavy is your typical bike engine?

Avoneer

posted on 11/7/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
60kg including gearbox.

What do you need a reverse for?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigandy

posted on 11/7/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm about 7/42ths (ish!) of the way through a Mojo build. I've gone for the Toyota 4a-ge engine in mine. At least, it will have it one day! I was tempted to go for the Ford Zetec route, but I really like the 4a-ge engines. nice and light, and they really like to rev. The Honda Vtec engine sounds good too but I would want to check out the weight first, as I would be reluctant to put a hefty engine in the back. the lighter the better in my book! (obviously that only applies to the car, and not the 120kg prop forward building it!)

It is definatley not a "Bolt A to B" type kit car build, you do need some degree of common sense/engineering ability to figure out the best way to do things. I see it as a halfway house between a build such as a Westfield, (where you follow the instructions, and end up with a car.) and a Locost (where you buy the book, and are left to sort it out yourself!).

Having said that, if you can handle modding factory cars with engine transplants etc, then it should be a walk in the park for you!

Have a look at these sites for more on the Mojo anyway:

www.mymojo.co.uk (Neil Everett's build)
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/lordandy (my website, although it hasn't been updated since ages ago due to lack of free webspace!)

Hope that helps a bit!
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

MilesE

posted on 11/7/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

No reverse would be too impractical for me. Although saving around 60kg's of engine weight is very appealing!

How heavy is the 4age? Its a 4 cylinder dohc 16v isn't it? Whats standard power and how tunable is it?

Most of the things I've done, even engine transplants (well, transplant actually) have been bolt off bolt on to be honest.

I'll check out the sites.

Cheers

Miles

bigandy

posted on 11/7/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon you'll be fine building a Mojo. I've only ever changed brake pads, and oil filters before starting my Mojo... Admittedly, it isn't the easiest of builds, but I really enjoy the challenge!

The 4a-ge engine is indeed a 16valve Dohc engine. I think the standard power of the UK ones varies according to the year/model of the engine, but roughly 120bhp as standard sounds about right. I beleive they are pretty tunable though on top of that. I remember seeing an article in PPC magazine about tuning the 4a-ge a while back, the one with the Blue Beetle on the front (I don't have a copy though). Maybe someone would scan it for you?

Have a look here too:

http://www.billzilla.org/carindex.htm

There is a wealth of 4a-ge info there!

Cheers
Andy

smart51

posted on 11/7/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
As an alternative to the mojo, why not look at the R1OT. It is basically a mojo that has been redesigned to accept a mid mounted R1 engine. It will be every bit as good as a mojo but faster and lighter which gives better handling, in theory. I think it looks better as well. It was the R1OT that made me decide to build a kit car, although after some research, I decided on a VortX. If you are not too keen on the classic 7 look, then look at a VortX. Similar, like a mojo, but slightly different.
Alan B

posted on 11/7/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

......Has anyone fitted an XE/LET to a Mojo?

I dont think there would be clearance for a turbo between the engine and back of seats, would get mighty hot in that gap as well!....

Are you allowing for the fact that the engine is NOT turned around and simply moved to the back?...maybe you are, I'm not familiar with that engine...just a thought...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 11/7/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I dont think that link works? The file is only 1kb, unless I'm doing something wrong?

Oh yes it does - it's a streaming link to the video held on our site!

MilesE

posted on 11/7/05 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Smart51, thanks for the suggestions, although the r1ot and vortX just aren't poncy enough looking!

Alan, yes I am, the turbo is at the front of the car as standard, so once its moved to the back of the car it will be at the back of the engine, but good call.

Hellfire, sorry for being stupid, but if I click on that link it just brings up a save file box, then saves the file as 1kb. Am I doing something wrong? It does the same from your site as well.

So how do the mojo's compare handling/traction wise to the traditional front engine rwd configuration? I assume the mojo is a bit lighter due to the lack of prop shaft and rear diff?

Thanks again all,

Miles

bigandy

posted on 11/7/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I can't really comment with aurthority on the handling differences between a Mojo and other kitcar, as I have never driven a Mojo! I've only ever sat in the one I am building...

I'm told that they have really really good traction off the line, due to the mass of the engine sat over the rear wheels. They also are slightly less forgiving than a front engine rear wheel drive car. Again, due to the concentrated mass aboe the rear wheels. There is less margin between the car saying "I'm going to let the back wheels slide now" and it actually doing that!

If you want a more authorative answer to how it handles, Send Neil an email from his website (www.mymojo.co.uk). Tell him I sent you, and say hello to him for me!

Cheers
Andy

PS. I'm shooting for a 550kg ready to drive weight on my car. Less if possible, but it depends how overboard I go with the interior!

MilesE

posted on 12/7/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So a decent powered mojo might not be the best car to start off my rwd life with? Or is that a minor detail.

I read through Neil's site, I'll drop him an email.

550kg's is pretty light in the way of things

nre

posted on 13/7/05 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
If you want a more authorative answer to how it handles, Send Neil an email from his website (www.mymojo.co.uk). Tell him I sent you, and say hello to him for me!

Hello Andy!

Miles has sent me an email, but I'll answer the questions he has asked on here for everyone's future reference

quote:
So are you happy that you chose a Mojo to build? Would you choose it again
if you know what you know now when you ordered the kit?

Very happy with my choice, and would happily build another one, or a Riot.

quote:

Is there any room at all for luggage? Even just a ruck sack for a weekends
worth of clothes?

Erm, depends whether you have a passenger

Seriously, my engine installation has left me with some room under the engine cover. I am contemplating making a mini boot box to slot in there, but it will get pretty warm, so is of only limited use. As for space under the nose, erm, you might get your sandwiches under there, but they will still get hot because the rad is under there too!

Another Mojo owner has strapped stuff on top of the engine cover with bunjee cords, which while not pretty, works OK. You could always get a proper rack made up instead...

quote:

Is it possible to take the engine out once the tub is on?

I haven't personally done this, but it can be done- a couple of years ago the Sylva racecar had 2 or three engine swaps due to some oil surge issues...

quote:

Are you happy with the car's handling, and how does it handle compared to
other front engined kit cars?

Andy pretty much nailed this one. I haven't driven a 7 type car, but get the impression that they are more forgiving than the Mojo. Don't get me wrong, on the 2 track days I have done it was seriously impressive, but they were both in the dry. In the wet, I treat it with extreme caution. I won't go into the details here, but I know that they can bite in the wet...

quote:

Is the suspension struts mojo specific and need to be purchased from mojo or
are they a normal generic size/fitment?

Not sure if you mean the springs or the uprights? The shocks are a different length to a 7, and due to the different suspension design, the spring rates are not comparable either. I am currently looking at lowering the rear spring rates a bit, I think it is currently a bit oversprung. This should also help to make the car slightly less exciting in the wet...

The uprights themselves are off Sierra and Fiesta mk2.

Hope that answers the questions!

Additionally, I am like Andy in that I hadn't done much more than brake pads and oil changes in the past, so you will be fine building a Mojo...

Cheers,

Neil

[Edited on 13/7/05 by nre]

[Edited on 13/7/05 by nre]

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

bigandy

posted on 13/7/05 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
In the wet, I treat it with extreme caution. I won't go into the details here, but I know that they can bite in the wet...

I'm probably going to be a bit of a wuss when it comes to driving in the wet, and either take the tin top, or not bother! Although I need to get the damn thing finished first! Pesky nice weather and things to do outside

As for the luggage thing, then without a passenger there is as much room as a passenger takes up! And with a passenger, the luggage carrying capability depends how well the passenger can hold onto things

I've told the Jackster that she will be in charge of handling all luggage during all travels in the Mojo. She said fine (an added if it will ever be finished!)...

I think all lightweight rear wheel drive cars will turn round and bite you if you aren't careful in the wet....

Cheers
Andy

MilesE

posted on 13/7/05 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the info.

At the moment I'm very keen on the idea of building a mojo, I now need to save up and sort out the space to do it, so will probably have some more questions when it actually happens!

My luggage requirements will be mostly what her indoors needs to bring, so if she can carry it, she can bring it

Thanks,

Miles

bigandy

posted on 13/7/05 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff!

If you ever want to see a 7/42ths built Mojo, then give me a shout, and you are welcome to stop by and have a look!

Cheers
Andy

MilesE

posted on 13/7/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the offer. I'll bear it in mind.

Are there any good kit car shows or events with a mojo presence?

Cheers

Miles

nre

posted on 13/7/05 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Likewise, if you are ever passing Warwick, you are welcome to have a nosey at my finished Mojo..

to Andy!

I should be going to Donington later this year, and might make it to the Totalkitcar Live event at Brands too...

Neil

ned

posted on 14/7/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
i imagine there'd be a few mojo's at most of the main shows. donington and brands later in the summer and exeter in november should have some. if you are serious it might be worth a call to sylva to check with them which shows they're going to, owners nearby who might be willing to show their builds etc i'm sure they'd let you go and visit the factory to discuss the option aswell if you're keen.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.