Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra brake lining query...
Damon Hill

posted on 11/7/05 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra brake lining query...

...an I right in guessing that 90s sierra's don't use asbestos? If they did (gulp), would it be safe enough to just remove and dispose of them?
Danozeman

posted on 11/7/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I would imagine if they did then they wont have the originals on there so will be fine.

Im sure they stopped using asbestos before them anyhow.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 11/7/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
thats what i thought too, but as i wasnt sure i thought id keep schtum. Seems damned unlikely that they would have asbestos in them still, just be careful if in doubt - a breather mask or somesuch. I doubt if such temporary exposure would be harmful anyway - if you smoke, i wouldnt worry about the brake linings!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

DavidM

posted on 11/7/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you spray the inside of the drum/caliper with water before changing the pads, this will keep the dust down. Then remove damp dust "paste" with a cloth. Even without asbestos, you don't really want to be breathing brake dust.

David

Proportion is Everything

Peteff

posted on 11/7/05 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Put them in the empty box and drop them in the bin, I won't tell anybody if you don't I once threw an AA battery in and nothing happened.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JAG

posted on 12/7/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Asbestos hasn't been used since the early 1980's so your Sierra should NOT have Asbestos based brake linings.

However - you still don't want to handle them roughly or inhale the dust.

These days they contain lots of other types of fibres that are still small enough to do exactly the same type of damage to your lungs that Asbestos used to do

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

clbarclay

posted on 12/7/05 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Asbestos in brake linings is like the asbestos roofing sheets etc. in that left alone they are relatively stable and only poses a risk if knocked/damaged (is also found in the fire proof mats all school science labs used to have).

The asbestos used in insulation is a different ball game (almost wooly lose fibres rather than a dence sheet), and is the stuff that knackers up builders when demolishing old buildings.

Its not just small fibres that can damage you, any small partcals (ie. dust) is bad for your lungs if inhailed.

[Edited on 12/7/05 by clbarclay]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.