Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mig or Tig
Lotusmark2

posted on 27/7/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mig or Tig

OK guys will be doing some modification and repairing of my formula chassis and was going to use my 115A mig but a welder friend of mine has said "ya need to TIG that mate, migs no f****ing good for chassis"
so as far as I know most of you weld with mig so thought I would ask for opinions.

Avoneer

posted on 27/7/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I am aware, either will be fine.

I have heard of chassis' done both ways with no long term problems.

Both mine are mig'd with some bits tig'd.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 27/7/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
As long as the welder and your welding are upto the job either will be fine. If your mate is a welder with decent kit, why not tap him up to do it for you

Nick

mark chandler

posted on 27/7/05 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
TIG is king minimal distortion and very clean, that said MIG is twice as fast

Make sure you really burn into the metal, its easy to get a good looking MIG weld that sits on top of the work, the biggest mistake is to hurry and not use enough current, most importantly clean work and clean wire, not wire thats gone rusty in you MIG welder as its sat in the garage !

Lotusmark2

posted on 27/7/05 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
he is an ex loyds coded welder but not the most reliable person in the world
kb58

posted on 28/7/05 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
An AC/DC TIG is very versatile and very clean, no weld spatter, no smoke. You can weld steel, stainless, aluminum, anything you need. It isn't cheap though. To answer your question, for mild steel either will work fine assuming the operator is competent.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
want2race

posted on 28/7/05 at 03:20 AM Reply With Quote
Your friends full of it mate!

The reality is that both will achieve full penetration into the metal if used properly. And realistically an untrained person would be much better off with MIg than trying to use a TIg off the bat. The bottom line is you will be damn good by the end of the project when you no longer need the skill

Lotusmark2

posted on 28/7/05 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, confirmed my own thoughts on this, puts my mind at rest as I am not about to shell out big bucks on a TIG when I have a MIG sitting there
Peteff

posted on 28/7/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
migs no f****ing good for chassis

I'd better tell the lads at MK and MAC1#, GTS and all the rest to stop doing it wrong straight away. Coded welders don't usually weld 16g material used in chassis and I've seen some of them struggle to do it as well as a shed mechanic who does most of his work in lighter metal.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Alan B

posted on 28/7/05 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I'd better tell the lads at MK and MAC1#, GTS and all the rest to stop doing it wrong straight away.............. quote]

Don't forget TVR, and more than likely Ferrari and Lamborghini......I know TVRs are migged and pretty certain about the other two also......

James

posted on 28/7/05 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Are Ferrari/Lambo not carbon by now?

Talk about stuck in the dark ages!

I want a DB9 (carbon???) anyway!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Alan B

posted on 28/7/05 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Are Ferrari/Lambo not carbon by now?

Talk about stuck in the dark ages!

I want a DB9 (carbon???) anyway!

James

Yeah, I'm sure some of the current models are.....I'm thinking of slighty older models with spaceframes of course...

britishtrident

posted on 28/7/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Check the chassis isn't brazed -- that was the tradditional way of building spaceframes.
If it is brazed joints best use brazing/bronze welding for any mods or repairs.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.