posted on 30/7/05 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
rear wing

i'm looking for a rear wing for my GT1 any ideas were i could get one

graham

jacko

posted on 30/7/05 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 30/7/05 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Rather appropriately - The Wing Shop

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/7/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Stalk a boy racer with a wing you like.... he's bound to crash it sometime soon. When he does whip it off while he's not looking

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Mike S

posted on 1/8/05 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham

The rear wing issue for the GT-1 really depends on what you actually want it to do! If you just want something for looks, then one of the after market offerings would do at a pinch, but they are (in my view) expensive for what they are.

Whilst you would no doubt get some down force from an after market wing, I think that thay are more show than function.

Assuming you want something that actually produces predictable downforce, then you need something with a NACA section. You can find these on the internet. If you are any good at GRP or Carbon laminating, you could make a mould and lay up your own. (I was going to do this).

The Wing Shop would be the way to go for a "proper" job, but I think they are going to be Kin expensive. Lovely bit of kit if you can afford it though.

The main issue with the GT-1 (assuming you have the standard front body section) is the large area of front splitter.

To keep the car balanced, you need some rear downforce or the car will tend to be tail happy when pressed hard in high speed corners.

When I was looking around for a wing for my GT-1, I came to the conclusion that just about any professional option was decidedly "high cost", so was resigned to making my own.

However, I had a moment of inspiration and managed to skunk up a length of "time elapsed" rotor blade from a helicopter which is wider than the car and has a cord of about 200mm. Cost me a tenner for a few beers. Now probably the least expesive bit for my car!! (before anyone ask's, I can't get any more though, sorry!!)

My son (who is an aerospace graduate) is doing the calculations to come up with starting point angle of attack etc. to balance the front splitter.

Don't know if this helps you any.

I might take a mould off the blade at some point in the future, but I want to get the car finished before I start side line projects like that.

Cheers

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.