Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The USA and space
mandy69

posted on 3/8/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
The USA and space

Anyone else out there who doubts whether the yanks ever set foot on the moon let alone all this tat on tv about fixing shuttles with hack saws?
And just who the hell is doing all this fancy filming? Steven Speilberg perhaps?

Mand::

Benzine

posted on 3/8/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
'The Americans won WW2 single handed' That's made up, why wouldn't other stuff be made up ^__^

About the moon landings, I find it an interesting thing to talk about. Things like shadows and the cameras having buttons way too small to be used with the massive gloves they had.

[Edited on 3/8/05 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 3/8/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Capricorn One springs to mind perhaps.

I reckon they did, but the conspiracy theorists do make some quite good points!!

There should have been a moonbase by now, though they'd have probably claimed it for themselves (so they can burn anything worthwhile, this is of course after they've declared war on it)

ATB

Simon

steve_gus

posted on 3/8/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
if you can get a man in space it wouldnt be 'rocket science' to get an external camera on a shuttle.

Its amazing that all the moonrock brought back which totalled 100s of lbs was never declared as from earth by all the scientists outside america it was given to.

Appollo 13 was done to add a bit of drama?

Why didnt the russians, and every other country capable of tracking the spacecraft to the moon and back, blow the gaff on the 'fraud'.

conspiracy theories are bollocks.

I have my own. Liverpool won the champions league cos all the AC milan players were killed in the dressing room and replaced by androids at half time.

Makes as much sense as any other theory.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 3/8/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

conspiracy theories are bollocks.

Couldn't agree more!

Russ-Turner

posted on 3/8/05 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

There should have been a moonbase by now, ATB

Simon

No oil on the moon mate :-) U.S.A..... U.S.A..... U.S.A!!

the JoKeR

posted on 3/8/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
'The Americans won WW2 single handed'

Come on now, the Canadians and Australians helped too. You Brits were there too, weren't you? We had to park all our planes, tanks, and jeeps somewhere!

(yes, I know I'm asking for it, but I couldn't resist...)

Jeff
http://www.midwestwelding.com
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

marcyboy

posted on 4/8/05 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
conspiracy theory eh !!!

well they did wan't to beat the commies,
and theres been a few documentaries on it...including the fact that the button on the camera they had was very small...hard to press with those big gloves on

marktigere1

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Want a conspiracy theory?

How about the one that it was not Titanic that sank but her twin sister Olympic? Thought to be an insurance scam?

Do a search on Google.

Great story.

Cheers

Mark

DaveFJ

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I think the most compelling argument is radiation. The levels of radiation during a trip to the moon would extremely high and yet we are to beleive that the ships skin was wafer thin ? how come they didn't all die from the radiation ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Peteff

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
how come they didn't all die from the radiation

It wasn't considered a problem by the scientists at the time as the only exposure was as they passed through the Van Allen belts. Quote:-Their solution was simple -- avoid exposure by keeping the spacecraft at low Earth orbit altitudes while in parking orbits and then send it through the belts at high speed. The eventual escape speed, some 25,000 miles per hour, would have passed them through the belts in less than an hour, keeping their dose well below 1 rad.
http://www.lunaranomalies.com/fake-moon.htm

[Edited on 4/8/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DarrenW

posted on 4/8/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
'The Americans won WW2 single handed' That's made up, why wouldn't other stuff be made up ^__^

[Edited on 3/8/05 by Benzine]

As far as i can tell they didnt stop at WW2. They can now claim War of the Worlds as well cant they?? Iam in total awe at what USA can achieve.
I bet they wiped out the dinosaurs as well!!!

On a serious note i hope they do fix the shuttle and get back safely.

What is the space station for anyway? Is it for serious help-to-mankind stuff or sinister research? It makes me nervous especially with trigger happy in charge of the whitehouse.

scotty g

posted on 4/8/05 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
They built the space station because Elvis needed somewhere to hide out, poor sod couldn't even work in a supermarket without someone recognising him!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveFJ

posted on 4/8/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it was Bill Gates' new marketing platform for Microsoft.......

gonna use it to emblazon the MS logo across the night sky 2km wide...

(actually that sort of thing is really on the cards!)check this out

[Edited on 4/8/05 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

alfasudsprint

posted on 4/8/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Conspiracy theories are great for a laugh!
The Russians made more human sacrifice than any other country in WW2.

Tim

Bob C

posted on 4/8/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Saw an american newspaper article which suggested that shuttles would soon be grounded for ever & designs were already on the drawing boards for good old fashioned rockets with the payload at the sharp end, re-using loads of shuttle parts to reduce design time & supply chain issues.
It suggested probability of shuttle 'incident' was 1 in 100 launches whereas the more conventional rockets would be 1 in 1000.
Haing payload at sharp end means it doesn't get clobbered by bits falling off the engines + makes a catastrophe potentially surviveable.
Shuttle launches are crazy expensive, the new rockets would be less reuseable but work out much cheaper.
Bob

pwells

posted on 4/8/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
This is essentially correct. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crew_Exploration_Vehicle

For what it's worth, I'm a mechanical engineer working at Johnson Space Center in Houston.

Peter

quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
Saw an american newspaper article which suggested that shuttles would soon be grounded for ever & designs were already on the drawing boards for good old fashioned rockets with the payload at the sharp end, re-using loads of shuttle parts to reduce design time & supply chain issues.
It suggested probability of shuttle 'incident' was 1 in 100 launches whereas the more conventional rockets would be 1 in 1000.
Haing payload at sharp end means it doesn't get clobbered by bits falling off the engines + makes a catastrophe potentially surviveable.
Shuttle launches are crazy expensive, the new rockets would be less reuseable but work out much cheaper.
Bob

JoelP

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
now that is a job worth having!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve_gus

posted on 4/8/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
1 rad is actually quite a high amount of radiation.

Strange thing with radiation doses is that the amount a radiation worker is allowed in a year can be had all in one dose, or spread over a year. The effects are not seen as different.

There was an article on the radio today about the bombing of japan. An interview was held with a 68 year old woman who was 2 1/2 km from ground zero - still alive. There is apparently 140,000 people still alive from the 300,000 that were in the survivable areas around ground zero.

Finally, you can buy clothing with radiation reducing material in the fabric. One use is for emergency teams faced with a dirty bomb incident.

Why make a whole space ship out of lead when all you need to protect is the astronaut?

atb

steve

[Edited on 4/8/05 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

Peteff

posted on 4/8/05 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
well below 1 rad.

It does say this Steve

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.