Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First Drive - Some questions
adam_moore

posted on 8/8/05 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
First Drive - Some questions

Hi

Drove my car around the block for the first time this weekend (can't wait to hit the open road!). There were no real problems but I've got a couple of SVA related questions...

1. My fuel level sender / gauge isn't working and to make it worse, I dropped the float in the tank last night. Is an operating fuel level guage a requirement? I might just fix it after the test.

2. Self centreing steering...it doesn't (although I was trying at low speed). Is toe in the answer to improve self centering?

3. Do I need a one-way roll over valve on the fule tank breather port?

Otherwise, I think I've got everything sorted! I'll be posting some pre SVA photos next week if you are interested in pointing out any other areas that might be dodgy!

Cheer, Adam

David Jenkins

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I'll have a go at Q1: When you present your car it has to have a full fuel tank, ready for the weigh-in. How will you prove it's full without a gauge?

Q3: I don't believe there's a requirement in the SVA Manual - but it's a nice-to-have item for your own safety.

rgds,
David

Hornet

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
1. Just earth the wire from your sender and it'll show a full tank... no need to be too honest on the day of the test.

2. More toe in should help... try higher pressure as well.

Item 3 not needed for the SVA..

Best of luck

shortie

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Q1: Don't think it's a requirement, as already said just earth the wire if you are worried although my SVA inspector just asked 'is the tank full?', I replied yes and he was happy.

Q2: I toed mine out and it passed, about 2degrees if I remember rightly, pressures were 16psi. Some people go higher pressure and toe in and some go low pressure and toe out. He didn't actually seem overly worried about it he just seemed to grin as he got in and blasted off down the test road to test it!

Q3: Not required for SVA although if you can I would fit some kind of breather valve as it will look better than a open hose on the breather, alot of people use bicycle tyre valves, I believe Jon Ison used this so you could U2U him for more info.

HTH,
Rich.

David Jenkins

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
When I earth my sender lead the needle goes to zero! The resistance range of my CAE/Smiths gauge is 10 ohms empty to 180 ohms full. If I leave the lead off then the needle goes hard over and well past full, which probably wouldn't do it any good over a period of time. I suppose you could always put a 180 Ohm resistor in series.

If it was my car, I'd prefer to fix the sender...

David

Hellfire

posted on 8/8/05 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel gauge - not required.

Toeing in will have no effect for self centering with the geometry you have on the light BEC Indy. Toe it out as stated.

No valve as long as the pipe is higher than the maximum fuel level and doubled over. Fuel vapours are lighter than air I reckon.

All what we had to do on our first Indy 'blade pass.

[Edited on 8-8-05 by Hellfire]

VinceGledhill

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi.

Test the self centering with minimal preasure in the tyres. I've been told that 8psi will "really" help the self centring.

Worth a go for "nowt"

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

adam_moore

posted on 8/8/05 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I've gotto sort out getting the float out of the tank first but I might get a new sender. I don't trust the one that I have a the moment. Besides, the reason it fell apart is because the arm is so cut and shut!

I'll give the other stuff a go for self centering etc...

I do have one other question for anyone who has ETB electronic speedos....how many pulses with 3.62diff, 195 50 15 tyres and 2 magnets on the prop. I think it should be 6445 based on the following sum:

[1 mile (in meters) / circumference of tyre] x 3.62 x 2 = 6445

I'm wondering becuase the default setting is 41000!

[Edited on 8/8/05 by adam_moore]

DarrenW

posted on 8/8/05 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Self centering - i was told to set up suspension to max castor, 3 or 4 degrees camber, 2 or 3 degrees toe out, tyres very high pressure (35 - 40psi to reduce contact patch area and hence reduce friction).

These settings worked for my fathers MK. No good on the road though - especially the tyre pressure - be warned.

Ive just plugged your tyre sizes etc into the DD2 software and it calculated the pulses as 6438 (rear tyre rolling rad = 288mm, circumference = 1810)

Difference may be due to the radius you have used to calculate the circumference - i think the software makes an allowance for the fact that tyres are not completely round when they are on the car.

Hope this helps.

jos

posted on 8/8/05 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I calculated the number of pulses you need as 6439 so by my calcs youre about right.

HOWEVER my methods of calculating are know to be pretty poor, see recent thread in jokes, so I would be very interested to see whether your 6445 works. ETB will calcuate it over the phone so give them a try and let us know.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Andy W

posted on 8/8/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked my speedo. I have the same set as you, mines set at 6440 this passed sva with with +2mph at all stages.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.