Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Measurements
Soichi_Sugano

posted on 8/8/05 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Measurements

Hello,
I'm a new member to Locostbuilder but, i've been wanting to start building a locost for about a year and a half now. I have a close provier for steel, a father who is a very good mechanic, and a garage more than well equiped for the build. What i've been wondering is what is the amount of tubing needed, and in what sizes for the locost chassis. If it depends on what type of donor, could i get some recommendations for good and cheap donors in the states. Also i live in pennsylvania so i'm surrounded by junkyards. Thanks i would really appreciate some help thanks.

Gav

posted on 8/8/05 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Ive only recently started my build too.
You want to take a look at Jim Mcsorleys site
http://mcsorley.net/locost/
their is a spread sheet somewhere with what you will need.

IIRC i bought 40 meters of 1inch tube 12 meters 19mm tube and 12 meters of 19mm round tube. all came in 6meter lengths
i over bought to allow for mistakes
also the smallest sheet of 3mm plate is 2mx1m so got a sheet of that.
later ill buy some 18 gauge sheet for floor etc

[Edited on 8/8/05 by Gav]

VinceGledhill

posted on 9/8/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Get the plans from McSorley too because the angles of the cuts are all in there too.

I got 2mm Aluminium for my floor and pop rivited it on.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

James

posted on 9/8/05 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Soichi_Sugano
Hello,
I'm a new member to Locostbuilder but, i've been wanting to start building a locost for about a year and a half now. I have a close provier for steel, a father who is a very good mechanic, and a garage more than well equiped for the build. What i've been wondering is what is the amount of tubing needed, and in what sizes for the locost chassis. If it depends on what type of donor, could i get some recommendations for good and cheap donors in the states. Also i live in pennsylvania so i'm surrounded by junkyards. Thanks i would really appreciate some help thanks.

You have all that kit and people to help, and you waited that long???
That shows patience!

Just add together all the lengths in the book and add about 10-20% for cockups and bits you forgot.

All the best,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Soul-tez

posted on 11/8/05 at 02:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hey
What part of Pa are you in? I can bend roll bar tubing in 1 3/4" or 1 1/2" if you need help with that. I to am taking a very slow approach to building. We'll get it done in the long run so don,t sweat it.

Mike

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.