Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Power!
alan wheeldon

posted on 9/8/05 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Power!

Ive got bored with the speed of my standard Pinto and i want to get around the 170bhp mark now.

Would it be worth (cost wise) to tune the pinto up or replace it with say a Zetec for example.

I wana stay with a car engine and not go bike powered by the way

Any sugestions guys?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 9/8/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
For cost it could work out a bit cheaper to stick with the pinto but imho a zetec would be a much better engine to use. The 2 litre has bags af torque which to me is the important bit.

Other things to consider is the fact that the zetec exhaust exit's out the opposite side from the pinto so you will either need a new bonnet or cover up the hole in the side pannel.

[Edited on 9/8/05 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 9/8/05 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Easier transplant would be a cossie engine
ned

posted on 9/8/05 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
if you have a 205 block you might consider a twin cam conversion (ie either a cossie or other twin cam conversion)

but sticking with the pinto would be cheap ie keep the exhaust (a few hundred quid for a new/different one, even modifying hte header would cost a bit) flywheel, big end bolts, right carb setup and cam, i'm no expert on pinto's though.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
to get that sort of power you will need to spend money on any of the usual motors.

The Pinto is well understood by many local tuners/machine shops who can assist with the tuning.

I have 150BHP (at the wheels) with my pinto. Spec as follows:

Balanced crank, rods and pistons
lightened/balanced flywheel
Block rebored with tensioning plate
decked block
ported and skimmed head
reworked valves
FR33 cam
twin 45's

I started with a 205 block and Injection Head so didn't increase the valve size

I like the engine - it pulls really well and coupled with a close ratio box and 3.92 LSD it gets to 60 in just over 4 seconds!(timed very roughly)

I think to go much faster Vauxhall or Honda S2000 would be the way forward

Good luck

Mark

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/05 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned,

did your mate with the racing Pinto ever solve his oil overflow problem?

Cheers

Mark

dblissett

posted on 10/8/05 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
pinto book

have a search for a book called how to power tune ford pinto and cosworth engines by des hamil it will cover all you need
i also have the david visard book his book goes into more depth but it is a little out of date as it was written before the 205 injection was introduced but the methods and detail are spot on
cheers dave

[Edited on 10/8/05 by dblissett]

ned

posted on 10/8/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
[sorry for hijack]

Mark,

Yes it got sorted, we found that the drain from the head was illegal anyway (interpretation of regs ) so we changed that back to standard and also found that the polished alloy cam cover he got from burtons was pretty naff fitting around the flange at the front by the cam pulley.

Another (long) story, but he's had his racing membership declined from the organising club for the rest of the year anyway so the car is just sat in the workshop doing nothing though he's contemplating hiring something to enter into 750mc bikesports

Ned.

mookaloid

posted on 10/8/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
oop! yes Sorry for Hijack too - I never thought!

It was just that the Pinto was under discussion....

Cheers everyone

Exit stage left

Rob Allison

posted on 11/8/05 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the dyno plot from my 2.0 pinto turbo. Its a standard 2.0 FEi from a granada whith a T3 from a 2wd Cossie and intercooler. Its running 6psi and pulls my RS2000 no probs

[IMG]

[Edited on 11/8/05 by Rob Allison]

ned

posted on 11/8/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
i would have thought if you can get the bhp naturally aspirated as mookaloid has its not worth the hastle of fabricating the manifolds etc to fit a turbo, especially if you end up with some lag.

Ned.

ps Rob, not putting your turbo conversion down, top marks for enginuity etc, but can you confirm that as its on a dyno this is 144bhp at the flywheel whereas mookaloids 150bhp is at the wheels..

[Edited on 11/8/05 by ned]

JoelP

posted on 11/8/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
well lane turbo is a rolling road place, so thats probably at the wheels too unless i have the wrong end of the stick!

[Edited on 11/8/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

NS Dev

posted on 12/8/05 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
to get that sort of power you will need to spend money on any of the usual motors.

The Pinto is well understood by many local tuners/machine shops who can assist with the tuning.

I have 150BHP (at the wheels) with my pinto. Spec as follows:

Balanced crank, rods and pistons
lightened/balanced flywheel
Block rebored with tensioning plate
decked block
ported and skimmed head
reworked valves
FR33 cam
twin 45's

I started with a 205 block and Injection Head so didn't increase the valve size

I like the engine - it pulls really well and coupled with a close ratio box and 3.92 LSD it gets to 60 in just over 4 seconds!(timed very roughly)

I think to go much faster Vauxhall or Honda S2000 would be the way forward

Good luck

Mark

Much as the pinto is heavy and old fashioned, the above goes a long way to saying why you can still do well using one.

150hp @ wheels is a good bit in anybody's book

Would concur with the Vauxhall route if you want more. Standard XE on throttle bodies will raise the @ wheels figure to around 175hp (mine made 176@wheels) but don't expect to make that with a £200 100,000+ miler from ebay!!!!

Did you build your pinto yourself mookaloid? If so, nicely done job that man!

DarrenW

posted on 12/8/05 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
dave Walker recently posted some good ideas for pinto tuning. Reported good results from 2.2 conversion and gave an idea of machining costs. See post below;

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=23342

You would need to consider fuelling, n/a may work with bike carbs, failing that diy efi.

mookaloid

posted on 12/8/05 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:

Did you build your pinto yourself mookaloid? If so, nicely done job that man!

Certainly did

Thanks for the compliment

Cheers

Mark

Rob Allison

posted on 12/8/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, It was an easy conversion. Hardest part was the manifold.
As to lag. There is non. The engine is running standard CR 9.2:1. So its the same as any 2.0 EFi pinto until 2200rpm when the turbo spools up. Then its off
And the 144bhp is at the wheels. Although 2 of the runs were 162bhp, the 144bhp is an average due to the first run being stopped at lower rpm.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.