Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 - Micra Rad: Idiots guide needed!
Paul G

posted on 10/8/05 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
R1 - Micra Rad: Idiots guide needed!

Hi all

Got my R1 engine fitted and a micra radiator mounted, the next step is plumbing it all in. I've got the R1 manual but thats as clear as mud to me, has anyone got a step by step guide of where all the pipes would need to go and what other bits I need (thermostats and t-pieces etc). Any help or links would be really appreciated as I've hit a dead end here!

Cheers

Paul

hearnia

posted on 10/8/05 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
This thread is all you will need. The diagram contained explains a lot.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=24610

Cheers
Joe

Paul G

posted on 10/8/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that link Joe - the info there is pretty helpful.

Only thing is on the diagram I found there I cant see where any hoses go to the oil cooler inlet - does anybody know what I'd take that feed from?

Cheers

smart51

posted on 10/8/05 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
the oil cooler inlet hose is tapped off the water pump output hose which comes out of the engine at the bottom and goes in again at the top. I'd be surprised if this wasn't intact when you got your engine as there is no reason to remove it.

From what I understand, the thick pipe from the thermostat and the pipe out of the oil cooler carry hot water out of the engine and the thick pipe into the water pump carry cool water back from the radiator. The thin pipe from the thermostat is a vent pipe and can go to a header tank, as is the thin pipe from the water pump.

The vents will carry air out from the system as well as steam if the thing overheats. As the engine heats and cools, the pressure from expansion and contraction will be relieved through these pipes, so I will put the pump vent hose to the bottom of my header tank and the thermostat vent to the top.

Paul G

posted on 10/8/05 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ah that makes more sense now - I'll have a look when I get home and check if the oil cooler inlet hose is still in place!

cheers

Paul

ChrisGamlin

posted on 10/8/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
It might be different on my 2003 engine but the small pipe that your describing as a bleed on the water pump inlet goes from the throttle bodies on mine (to control the "choke" ), its fed hot water from the head under the throttle bodies.
On mine I just run the bleed from the thermostat and another one from the top of the rad, with a 13mm T into the bottom hose to feed water into it.

Chris

[Edited on 10/8/05 by ChrisGamlin]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 10/8/05 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Here's how mine is plumbed in, runs if anything a little too cool (70c on road, 80c on track) so Im confident everything is flowing in the right directions and Id rather have it overcool and blank off as required, than undercool and struggle with temperatures all the time.

[img][/img]

smart51

posted on 11/8/05 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
just checked the '98 R1 service manual and the water pump vent hose goes to the top of the radiator at the coolant out side. I guess that there are differences between different R1s. There is still no mention in the manual what the metal pipe through the carbs is for. It sounds like a heater hose pipe to me.
Paul G

posted on 11/8/05 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies fellas - I'm off to take a look at it all now

Cheers

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.