Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 engine non starter...
hearnia

posted on 12/8/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
R1 engine non starter...

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my R1 powered indy. Everything is wired up and appears to be working, but the engine wont turn over???

The clocks come on, and when trying to turn over the dashlights dim. I've tried the starter motor on its own and it does turn over, but when trying it from the key no joy!

Anyone got any ideas? or want to come and sort it for me???

Cheers
Joe

smart51

posted on 12/8/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Obvious things first - is it in neutral? the neutral switch stops it from starting in gear?
have you wired the side stand switch, clutch switch, start switch and stop switch correctly?

Bell out the wiring with a multimeter around the starter relay and the start cut off relay if you are using it to make sure you're getting voltage to the right places.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/8/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Also, is the battery fully charged and do you have a good earth on the engine?
Will the engine turn over by hand by putting a spanner on the sprocket bolt whilst in gear? You could also try turning it over without the spark plugs in - if that works then it would indicate a duff battery.

[Edited on 12/8/05 by ChrisGamlin]

hearnia

posted on 12/8/05 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
The neutral light is on so I can only assume the engine is in neutral.

The side stand switch I have connected to earth to bypass it.

The start switch I have put to earth also to bypass it, as I have been trying to start it by using the black wire from the r1 standard ignition on the momentary on position on my ignition barrel.

The stop switch I have connected the 2sides of the switch to bypass it.

The engine has a good earth, and the battery comes up as 12.6V on my meter, so I dont think the problem is there.

It would appear that something is trying to draw a lot of power when you try and start but to no avail.

What readings should I be getting from the starter relay?

Is there any way to bypass the cyclelock as I think I may be getting a problem from that?

Cheers
Joe

smart51

posted on 13/8/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
if you connect the start switch to ground then you don't have to worry about the cycle lock.

12V goes from the battery into the start relay. The output of the start relay goes to the starter motor and the thick braided cable goes from the engine to the -ve side of the battery.
I've wired "crank" from the ignition switch to the top of the start relay coil (and cut the wire so that 12V doesn't come in from the fuse). I shorted together the start, stop, side stand switches and cyclelock and bob was my uncle. I pulled out the "ECU and Fuel Pump" relay to stop the fuel pump running as I have no fuel yet and it's loud. The engine wouldn't turn over then.

OX

posted on 13/8/05 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
you may have 12.6 volts in the battery but the battery can still be shagged ,seen loads of batterys come up green on an opty mate charger but as soon as there back on the bike all you get is a clicking noise from the starter solenoid.

stick a set of jump leads on it but ffs make sure your ignition switch is turned off first,,dont want you blowing up your cdi . but like chris says make sure the engine will turn over first

hearnia

posted on 13/8/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just been out and had a measure, the start relay doesnt show any voltage on the output side to the starter motor so my problem must be further back than that.

I would imagine that there would still be a voltage (be it a low one) there even if the battery was duff???

[Edited on 13/8/05 by hearnia]

Hellfire

posted on 13/8/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Take the spark plugs out and try starting it to turn the engine over.

Or have you already tried this

hearnia

posted on 14/8/05 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
I havent tried this yet. I'll give it a go 2moro morning. Will let you know what the day holds...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.