Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Colourtune
scoobyis2cool

posted on 12/8/05 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Colourtune

I spotted something called Gunsons Colourtune in Halfords today - you put it in a spark plug hole and it helps you tune the air/fuel ratio by changing colour. Looks quite good, has anyone used it before?

Pete

[Edited on 12/8/05 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ronin

posted on 12/8/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have one. They aren't perfect but you can get reasonable results with a bit of patience. Obviously not as good as taking it to a garage to have the carb set up properly though.
Ian Pearson

posted on 12/8/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Used one on a GT 185 I had years ago. Found it when I was moving house recenly. Worked ok..ish.
britishtrident

posted on 13/8/05 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Best tool for getting intial setting on twin SUs or DCOE Webers --- get each cylinder to as near ideal as possible then use a gas analyser to trim the emisions down turning each carb/venturi idele mixture adjuster screw an equal number of turns.

[Edited on 13/8/05 by britishtrident]

scoobyis2cool

posted on 13/8/05 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, looks like it might be ok for getting a rough setting but not for getting it spot on.

WRT gas analysers - I notice you can buy these in Halfords and they sometimes come up on ebay, would it be worth the extra money for one of these? There seem to be a lot of large professional ones on ebay but also a few of the smaller Gunsons type ones. Which to go for?

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 13/8/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
They are a bit average for setting up, but excellent for diagnosis, if you have 3 cylinders showing a nice blue flame, and one either white (lean) or yellow (rich), its a pretty good guess where your problem is!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.