Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: deep scratch in aluminum
richyo

posted on 16/8/05 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
deep scratch in aluminum

The wife decided to enter my domain (the garage) unattended the other day and managed to scratch the side panel. It is a beaut, about six inches long and particularly deep.
I've read previously on hear about polishing out scratches but don't remember the name of the stuff. I tried a search but I keep having to refresh and retry each time I go back to the list and without broadband it takes forever.

Could someone point me in the right direction ?

TIA

Rihyo

Smooth Torquer

posted on 16/8/05 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I cant help with the scratch sorry, but if you right-click on the search result you want to look at, and then click "Open in new window" you will not have to keep going back and refreshing the search results window each time.

HTH
Sam

ned

posted on 16/8/05 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smooth Torquer
I cant help with the scratch sorry, but if you right-click on the search result you want to look at, and then click "Open in new window" you will not have to keep going back and refreshing the search results window each time.

Or hold down the shift key when you click on the link

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mix

posted on 16/8/05 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Try searching for micro mesh, It's a kit of progresively finer abrasive sheets and a bottle of finishing polish. It's real use is for polishing clear plastics but it will work fine on alloy.

Mick

http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Micro_Mesh_Finishing_Kits_34.html

[Edited on 16/8/05 by Mix]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 16/8/05 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Go to Halfords or your auto paint depot and get a few sanding sponges with wet and dry fine. Start off on a scrap and get the technique right. Wet and sand it till it becomes flat and no scratch left. Finer paper keeping it wet and then the finest grade wet. Bit of SOVOL AUTOSOL and you are done. It seems drastic but its the way its done......another money saving tip from MGW

johnjulie

posted on 16/8/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
MGWs method is the only way to go with a deep scratch, As alredy mentioned, get a scrap piece of ally, and put a scratch in it similar to what you've already got as a practice piece. Start off with some 240 grit W&Dry. When it's nearly gone(scratch that is), change to 400 grit. Use it with a little soap and water on the final rub. You can go further by using a 600 or finer grit, see how it looks.when it's completely gone, clean off, and use a good ally polish to get the final finish.
You can get W&Dry from any good paint supplier or Halfords.
Cheers John

[Edited on 16/8/05 by johnjulie]

JFDI
"Just F*****G Do It"

richyo

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all I'll give it a try

Richyo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.