Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: testing coils on blade.?
GeoffB

posted on 17/8/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
testing coils on blade.?

im still having problems starting the blade..im not getting a spark at the plugs.im not sure if this is a plug problem or am getting nothing at the coils..being an electrical numpty..could someone tell me where to connect the test meter on the coils and what setting/scale should i set it to..
shortie

posted on 17/8/05 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Geoff,

If you could just confirm what age engine you have and also confirm whether you have earthed the sidestand and the clutch diode out the circuit.

Have a look at this link http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost/Tech_Tips_Wiring_the_Fireblade_engine.pdf
I found it very useful.

Also a mistake I made was that when I removed the fuel cut-out relay I forgt to connect back up the live feed to the CDI unit which of course meant I got no spark, can you confirm if you have 12v going to the CDI (Black\white wire)

Also, whereabouts are you in Kent??

Rich.

[Edited on 17/8/05 by shortie]

colibriman

posted on 17/8/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff,

u have u2u...its easier to talk through it over the phone..

cheers
Colin

[Edited on 17/8/05 by colibriman]

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeoffB

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
hi shortie
its a 1997 blade engine and i live in ashford..i just had a chat with colibriman and it seems everthing is wired ok..i have followed dodgy rodgers guide..i have checked that all the earth flow from the cdi plug back to earth,that seems ok ,checked the neutral to earth and checked the starter relay is wired ok..the only things i can think of is a faulty cdi,or even after making new ht leads up and double checking them there not working or the spark plugs are totally knackered and not even lighting up in the pitch black..or something else........???
ps am getting 12v to the coil..

i am using a lucas based premier loom and using the leads from the blade only as described in dodgy rodgres stuff

ReMan

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of things..
I had the same problem see
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=25560

The coils do have 12V on them all the time when ignition is on , the important bit is that the ECU controls the switching of them , which depends on lots of things, which i'm sure Colin will have checked with you.

The chances of 4 plugs being duff is slim, i'd bet its a logic/ecu thang or a stupid(like mine was) problem?

Colin too

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

shortie

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm...sounds like you have tried most things!

What about getting a new made up sparkplug lead and plug just to test whether you get a spark, this should then hopefully eliminate the leads and plugs if you don't get a spark.

I suppose it could be the coils but also maybe the CDI unit.

Rich.

Berwyn

posted on 17/8/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Geoff,
I have a spare pair of coils and an ECU off a similar year blade. If your still in the kak after tracing all the wires and voltages your welcome to try them if it helps you diagnose it. The fuel pump gets driven by the coil spark doesnt it on a 97 era bike ?? is that pulsing ? it it is then the pulses are getting from the ecu to the coils...
Let me know if you need the loan.
Good luck.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not

GeoffB

posted on 18/8/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
ONE PROBLEM DOWN THE PLUGS WORK OK.TESTED THEM ON A COLLEAGUES BIKE (OH WHY, OH WHY DIDNT I BRING IN THE PLUG LEADS..)

TO BE CONTINUED......

GeoffB

posted on 18/8/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
any further ideas..

is there any way i can test to see if iam getting anything from the coils at the blue/yellow--yellow/blue terminals and what readings should i get.. i tried everthing i can think of and still am getting no spark..

am not using bike loom so i have not used the clutch diode have just earth it ..

the only thing i can think of that i might have a later cdi unit with the anti theft device ( but not knowing it) because the loom doesnt have a pink wire coming out of it..

i have continuity tested all the wires coming from the cdi ,all the wires coming from the starter relay and cant think of any think else..

I AM NOW DESPERATE......

Berwyn

posted on 18/8/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
just put a meter over my coils with the ignition on, but engine not running, i get 12v on both sides of the coils.
U2U me if you wanna go through some things now.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not

colibriman

posted on 18/8/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
whats the letters marked on your cdi?

i'll check the year of it

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 18/8/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffB
any further ideas..

is there any way i can test to see if iam getting anything from the coils at the blue/yellow--yellow/blue terminals and what readings should i get..
I AM NOW DESPERATE......

You can still test the coils, plugs and leads the old fasioned way, just by earthing one coil connector and flashing the other with a live 12v lead, that should make the spark plug spark, use a battery charger if your scared! Then back to ecu/logic

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

GeoffB

posted on 18/8/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
F.A.O COLIN

ALL THE INFO OF THE CDI

MASA G
976N 1(LITTLE YELLOW BLOB OF PAINT)
5X31

TA GEOFF

GeoffB

posted on 18/8/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
RE-MAN FORGIVE ME FOR BEING STUPID BUT DO YOU MEAN EARTH OUT THE BLACK/WHIT WIRE CONNECTOR AND GIVE THE BLUE/YELLOW ON THE OTHER SIDE A 12v FEED AND SEE THE SPARK(HOPEFULLY )THAT WAY THIS BEING ON A SINGLE COIL WITH ONE PLUG LEAD
colibriman

posted on 19/8/05 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
you SEEM to have the right cdi.

the part of the code I can recognise covers from 1997 to 1999

trouble being that in 1999 thats when the pink wire immobiliser issue appeared.

you'll get there.wish I was closer or I would have had a look

cheers
Colin

ReMan

posted on 19/8/05 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffB
RE-MAN FORGIVE ME FOR BEING STUPID BUT DO YOU MEAN EARTH OUT THE BLACK/WHIT WIRE CONNECTOR AND GIVE THE BLUE/YELLOW ON THE OTHER SIDE A 12v FEED AND SEE THE SPARK(HOPEFULLY )THAT WAY THIS BEING ON A SINGLE COIL WITH ONE PLUG LEAD

YES!
Assuming you are using the bike coils with 2 plugs leads per coil are'nt you?
it shouldnt matter which way round the power wires are for the purpose of testing

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.