Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade Avon
unixguy

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade Avon

I have decided to construct a Tiger Avon chassis. I have the book "How to build your own Tiger Avon sports car", which includes blueprints for the chassis. I am, howvever, using a Fireblade. Does anyone have some pictures/diagrams, etc of the installation of this engine in an avon chassis?
JoelP

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
good luck.

are you sure you want to commit to the tiger route? i hear that the bodywork is less than ideal, though of course you dont have to use it. You could be just as well using ron champions plans, or the online equvilant.

Does the tiger use the sierra rear subframe? that really wont go well on a BEC

[Edited on 20/8/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

unixguy

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm only going to use the chassis - I like the shape allot better than the Locost. I will be making my own GRP. I don't plan on buying any of Tigers over priced parts :]

My book shows the chassis with both independant rear and live axles. I don't think there are any sub frames involved?

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/8/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look in my photo archive and also in Lightning's.
(I'm still in the process of fitting my engine whereas Lightning's is completely finished.)

Andy.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 20/8/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Its the Tiger Cat E1 that uses the complete Sierra rear end and hence is a much bigger and heavier animal than the Avon.

The Avon merely uses the Sierra diff, driveshafts, hubs and brakes with its own upper and lower wishbones (as do MK, MNR etc.)

Due to its diminutive proportions and very low overall height, IMHO the Avon lends itself very well to being converted to a BEC.

I feel Tiger have missed a trick on this one, as they don't supply anything to build an Avon BEC (probably so as to not divert sales from their B6) and so everything has to be designed and built as a one-off or modified from other manufacturers' parts.

Andy.

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
good luck.

are you sure you want to commit to the tiger route? i hear that the bodywork is less than ideal, though of course you dont have to use it. You could be just as well using ron champions plans, or the online equvilant.

Does the tiger use the sierra rear subframe? that really wont go well on a BEC

[Edited on 20/8/05 by JoelP]

JoelP

posted on 20/8/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
i stand corrected!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Avoneer

posted on 20/8/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
You're still right on the bodywork though Joel, but let's not open that can of worms!

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unixguy

posted on 21/8/05 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew.carwithen
Have a look in my photo archive and also in Lightning's.
(I'm still in the process of fitting my engine whereas Lightning's is completely finished.)

Andy.

Thanks Andy, found your photos very useful :]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.