Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: On the road at last..
Hasse

posted on 22/8/05 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
On the road at last..

After a bit more than 4 years, my "scratch build" is finally on the road, fully legal.

There are still things to do, but it´s ok to drive as it is.

So... I would like to thank all of you for helping out with answers to my questions and also providing a lot of helpful information in all your postings.

I have put some pictures in the archive, but they turned out VERY big, sorry!

Next will be some tuning, painting the plastic parts and a new exhaust, but probably not until the winter.

/Hasse

benji106

posted on 23/8/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
congratulations mate

-Everything in excess-

DarrenW

posted on 23/8/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Well done. It must be a great feeling. Is the final test procedure more strict in Sweden? I would guess so (and probably more expensive!). This makes your achievements even more special.

You say you have some jobs to do - i very much doubt that any of these cars are ever finished. I have found the build process to be so addictive so far that i have 2 or 3 years worth of post SVA winter projects up my sleeve already. Thats the beauty and fun of them.

Enjoy the drives. Iam so jealous but hopefully not that far behind you.

Hasse

posted on 23/8/05 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

The testing procedure in Sweden is 2 inspections during the build, one when all welding is done, and all major parts, like axle, engine, wishbones, steering ond so on, loosely assembled. No paint allowed.

Next inspection/test drive is done on the drivable car, everything should then be finished.

These two inspections are done at your home by a special inspector who can also provide advice. Cost is about 300 Euro.

Final inspection is done by the "authoritys", similar to SVA I belive, and cost about 200 Euro. Extra sound check might be needed and cost an extra 100 Euro I belive. (Did not need it).

So a total of about 500 Euro for testing alone.

The testing is not all that strict in my opinion, its fairly reasonable. We have for example no need to cover threads in the front, and no extreme care for small radiouses on the dash. However the sound is very strict. 82,5dB I think.

Insurance is also fairly cheep. About 160 Euro for a full covearge/year. Max 10.000km/year and always kept in a garage when not used.

/Hasse

DarrenW

posted on 23/8/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds like your inspections are very sensible and every bit as strict.
I can never understand why such a fuss is made of covvering the front suspension nuts etc. If you had a crash and someone had there head in there they would have more to worry about than an M18 hex pattern on there bonce!!!!!

I could see that external projections etc werent as strict from your use of bonnet catches and air intake box (if that is what it is) on the side panel.

Very well done again. You must be so proud.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.