Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wot engine.....
Jasper

posted on 25/8/05 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Wot engine.....

So, I want an engine for Enduance Rallies (so has to be reliable), track days, touring around Europe for fun, and local driving to go in my new Stylus project. I want an engine of 200+bhp with future tunability without costs going stratospheric.

So the top choices at the moment are:

S2000 - but you need £1.2k's worth of dry sump, and £400-£1100 of ECU on top of a £1500 engine - so too much really....

200sx (S14) - cheapish, turbo'd (good and bad if you know what I mean) and eminently tuneable - top choice so far

Duratec 2.3 - No real opinion of this engine, but I know it will need a fair bit of work to get it to 250bhp - though a little bird tells me this can be done with a new motor for around £2k plus gearbox and a few bits

I'm happy to spend £2kish at least

At the moment that's about it - opinions welcome

James

posted on 25/8/05 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
What about one of Volvorsport's big power Volvo turbo jobs?
Might be worth investigating.

How much would it cost to get 250BHP out of a Cossie?

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 25/8/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Jasper

posted on 25/8/05 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble with Cossie's I think is that they cost mega bucks when you get into serious tuning - look at Hicost - though for the power I want it may be fine, and aren't they all a bit old and thrashed ......

Thought the Volvo engines would be big and heavy - maybe not...... I'll ask!

[Edited on 25/8/05 by Jasper]

Donners90

posted on 25/8/05 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Rover 220 Turbo

These put out around 200BHP standard. And I'm sure there are tweaking kits available. You could get hold of a complete car for less than £1000
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-ROVER-220-COUPE-TURBO-RED-low-miles_W0QQitemZ4570062841QQcategoryZ18262QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just a thought.

Surrey Dave

posted on 25/8/05 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Whats wrong with a Zetec + Jenveys+Camshafts etc?
nick205

posted on 25/8/05 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
RV8?

just think of the effortless torque and that sweet gurgle

Jasper

posted on 25/8/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
RV8 - Old technology (;0), and my chassis isn't built for it....they do a specific RV8 chassis.

Zetec - possible - not sure if it's ok for big power tuning.....will check..

Rover 220 - FWD? And must be a reason it not often used......

ady8077

posted on 25/8/05 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jasper

Have you had a ride in Tim's stylus rt? Thats a duratec 2.0 with 225bhp, not been in it myself but watched it on the track

As for other engines it depends how much above 200 bhp you want to go, both the duratec and vx should make 250+ but at a price. Dont forget about gearbox too, even a modded type 9 will struggle with 250bhp, unless you go quaife S/C, but then theres the noise

I'm thinking of changine my pinto for a duratec but have been put off with the prices, £3K seems the going rate

Adrian

Tim 45

posted on 25/8/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think CairB has done a 2.3 duratec on the cheap, he might be worth speaking to.
12a RX-7

posted on 25/8/05 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
What about a rotary engine, miles cheaper than an S2000 lump, light, compact, reliable and plenty of horsepower potential.

Might be best to use a turbo as 200hp N/A engine will be a little hard to silence, especially in a small kit car !

[Edited on 25/8/05 by 12a RX-7]

andybod

posted on 25/8/05 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
nissan still good option buy it with box attached and your away no messing hydraulic clutch as well
Guinness

posted on 25/8/05 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmm, £500 notes ebay nice donor.

Mike

Volvorsport

posted on 25/8/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
whats for tea mother !

16v custom venolia piston , aka redbloxk 2.3 turbo engine

16v piston and spacer platey thingy

[Edited on 25/8/05 by Volvorsport]

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Danozeman

posted on 25/8/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec with cams and thrrotle bodies.

What about a vauxhall c20let? (XE Turbo'd). 204bhp standard and tuneable? Always available if u can beat off the nova/corsa boyz. Cavs and calibra's are cheap with them in.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Kissy

posted on 25/8/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don't knock James and the Volvo route - go and see Rallycross when the Scandinavians are in town. Seriously simple power plants already set up as RWD.

Duratec V6? Noble stick twin turbos on them for a comfy 300bhp. Even in ST24 form they are a rock solid 170 bhp and ladles of torque.

Saab 9-5 Aero? 2.3 turbo four pot, 250 bhp as standard!

Rolls Royce Merlin - 27 litres, bit of understeer, won the war, pull the chicks (probably through the inlets!)

stevebubs

posted on 25/8/05 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Of the above, I'd recommend in no particular order:

S2000
Duratec V6
2.3 Duratec I4
Cossie
NSX
XE

Most of the above (not sure about the S2k) have already been fitted in a Stylus.

Stephen

PS Where "down sarf" are you? May be worth a trundle along to your local Sylva meet

[Edited on 25/8/05 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 25/8/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Not meaning to flog an dead horse or teach you to suck eggs, but one thing to bear in mind in the search for big(ish) power if you only have 2k to spend is the cost of all the ancillaries (exhaust, ECU, throttlebodies etc)

[Edited on 25/8/05 by stevebubs]

Guinness

posted on 25/8/05 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
TVR Speed 6 here although I doubt it'll end at £5!

Mike

Volvorsport

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
a well setup turbo 2.3 will happily sit at 350 hp all day , as long as its in good shape - that would incude most of the ancillaries including megasquirt !

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
as I see it the main issue here is that you are talking about power levels that will make for anything but a relaxed tourer, particularly if turbocharged!

My view would be that 200hp is plenty in your car, and a std vauxhall XE on throttle bodies and an afternarket ECU will set you back around £2k and will give an utterly bulletproof 200hp ( I have run these for a long time now (since 1996) and they are superb)

you have to remember that £2k budget is absolutely peanuts when it comes to this sort of engine spec. I know of several people running self-built duratecs that have spent £15k to get 245hp.............but they are very quick and they win in competition.

There is a huge amount of billy talked on here and at the pub about power outputs!!!!!!!!!! Worth bearing in mind when making decisions, base them on results that you can see for yourself.

NS Dev

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Zetec with cams and thrrotle bodies.

What about a vauxhall c20let? (XE Turbo'd). 204bhp standard and tuneable? Always available if u can beat off the nova/corsa boyz. Cavs and calibra's are cheap with them in.

...........maybe cheapish engine, but you'll need to spend the best part of a grand on a gearbox that won't go bang!!

MkIndy7

posted on 25/8/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
A bit on the heavy side and expencive for the parts and gaskets etc but....

The 2.9 V6 Cosworth engine out of the Scorpio Ultima puts out around 200bhp and go for peanuts (£100 ish) and1 from an auto would prob be like new!

Or we've been offered a 2.5 V6 Duratec B4 for £150 not sure what BHP they put out and i think there all alloy.

Volvorsport

posted on 25/8/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
i forgot to add the 3 litre straight six all alloy engine is 204 hp , its begging for triple webbers !!!.

and it fits in my chassis ! - i think most of the opinion is 200 hp can be had reliably - point is you say scope for improvement - exactly how much ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 25/8/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
i forgot to add the 3 litre straight six all alloy engine is 204 hp , its begging for triple webbers !!!.

and it fits in my chassis ! - i think most of the opinion is 200 hp can be had reliably - point is you say scope for improvement - exactly how much ?

that would certainly be reliable and bulletproof!

Liam

posted on 25/8/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just curious - why does an s2000 engine need dry sumping and an ecu?? It's already in a grippy sports car and couldn't you run it on the standard management or something cheapish like an Emerald, or even megasquirt?

How about a BMW as a donor? Not sure on their power levels but a 328, 530, 535 engine must be at that sort of level.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.