Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What parts should i buy?
GTTDi

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
What parts should i buy?

Hi!
im planning on buying a tiger avon chassi and body and built the rest my self.
But my question is does the chassi include the wishbones ? if not what parts should i buy?
I want a chassi with all suspension parts and everything its needed to mount a sierra diff, then i can take it from there

[Edited on 25/8/05 by GTTDi]

Avoneer

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Buy an MK or a Mac1 - you'll get more for your money, better customer care and a better car at the end.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GTTDi

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
where can i find a mac1 type zr stage 1 parts list?
What kind of rear suspension does it use?

viatron

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Fairly sure that the avon is available mix n match. ie you can have just the chassis or chassis with wishbones, check out the Tiger website for the most up to date prices and dont forget www.tigerownersclub.co.uk if you do get an avon!! Building a Phat Cat E1 myself.

Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shades

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
the sierra diff will mount straight to the chassi...

As for the corners you'll need top and bottom wishbones. At the rear you will need tiger hub carriers to take the sierra drums and driveshafts... As discussed above tiger will supply you mix and match bits. For me the customer service has been fine

GTTDi

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies!
But i guess my first question should have been if tiger ships abroad??

shades

posted on 25/8/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Think they do. When I picked up my kit, in the office they have a map of the world with pins where kits have gone to. There were some obscure places.
Avoneer

posted on 25/8/05 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure MK ship abroad, as do a few others.

See here: http://www.mksportscars.co.uk/ and here: http://www.mac1motorsports.co.uk/

Personally I think for the money, there are a lot of better kits our there, of better quality and cheaper - I have yet to see an Avon finished for under £6000.

Tiger have apparantly sold hundreds of Avons (and they said that a few years ago), but I only ever seen 6 finished ones, know of 10 more finished ones and only know about about 20 all together building/finished.

And don't get me started on the bodywork quality and the wheel arches that are still 1" wider on one side.

Pat...

Hellfire

posted on 26/8/05 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
GTTDi - please dont start Pat off.... he's just got rid of his Avon After all the problems he had with ill fitting GRP and arches which were different widths (all of which are known about and continually reproduced) drives Pat mad However, it's quite funny listening to him 'go-on' about the deficiencies of Avon kits. Personally I like the Avon kits but it sounds like opening a can of worms when you start building one. The number of Avon owners I know all criticise the build quality... ho-hum!

Andrew Bause

posted on 26/8/05 at 01:45 AM Reply With Quote
Pat, maybe it's time you climbed down of your soap box mate!

For what it's worth, there are satisfied AVON builders out there, I for one am over the moon with mine. Having never built a car before, In my opinion the AVON build was straight forward and problem free. Tiger's backup and service has been exemplarary - no complaints from me!

Cheers!

Andy Bause
Vauxhall C20XE Powered AVON

[Edited on 26/8/05 by Andrew Bause]

We have been doing so much with so little for so long - Now we can do anything with nothing!

Andrew Bause

posted on 26/8/05 at 01:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi GTTDi,

I was speaking to Jim Dudley at Tiger a couple of days ago, they have just launched a deal on the AVON body / chasis kit, including front and rear wishbones, rear hubs and poly-bushes, and ali panel set, priced at around £1,200 might be just what you are looking for ?

Cheers!

Andy Bause
Vauxhall C20XE Powered AVON

[Edited on 26/8/05 by Andrew Bause]

We have been doing so much with so little for so long - Now we can do anything with nothing!

britishtrident

posted on 26/8/05 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Take a long very hard look at the Avon in the cold light of day before ordering --- I was inteterested in one before it became the Tiger Avon but looking it over I found a lot of aspects that made me very uneasy about it.
The publication of the Avon book also caused a fair bit of contoversey in the forum from builders trying in vain to make sense of the plans in the book.

It would be fair to say that in this forum you will very rarely see bad things said about the 4 or 5 main Locost(ish) chassis manufacturers, indeed some you will see nothing but praise for.

viatron

posted on 26/8/05 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Check out the links page at www.tigerownersclub.co.uk there are 3 Avon build diary links there that may make good background reading for you.

Mac

Avoneer

posted on 26/8/05 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Look guys, don't get me wrong, I really loved my Avon and aside from the problems, it was a great car and a good looker.

Just trying to show the other options out there for the same money.

I know several Avon owers that all wish they had built one of the "other" above-mentioned and could have done so for less money.

If I was to show you the letters that I received from Jim when I initially pointed out the problems, I think you'd be suprised.

Right, that's it from me.

Pat...

carlgeldard

posted on 26/8/05 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ive seen the letter that Jim sent Pat.

(Andrew Bause)
"maybe it's time you climbed down of your soap box mate!"

I think I will have to get you a bigger box Pat.

Carl

GTTDi

posted on 26/8/05 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Andrew Bause - Thanks thats exactly what i want!!
To all others - ALL comments are very appreciated because i live in Portugal and its not possible for me to be at the factory to check the build quality myself

JoelP

posted on 26/8/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i have observed (i havent done any research though!) MKs maintain the best resale value of the cheaper 7 replicas. This is probably down to being one of the better known names, with many years and many cars under their collective belt.

This probably isnt relevant to you, i just thought id mention it. However, to a UK buyer, it could be an important factor.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Richard Y

posted on 26/8/05 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
also avons are tiny ! i couldnt get in one when a friend brought his round, feet wouldnt get in there, but got in mk's just fine.. bags of room

things too consider if you not gunna sit in a finished article

andrew.carwithen

posted on 27/8/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I too, found with the standard method of installing the 'modified' Sierra pedals, I couldn't get enough leg room in the Avon. But, having fitted Luego/ST type floor mounted pedals, I'm fine in mine (I'm just over 6' tall and 14 stone).
Lightning is 6' 4" and also fits in his Avon using the same.
Another tip is to panel the front of the drivers footwell on the engine side and the front of the transmission tunnel on the prop side (rather than the footwell side.) This gives you another 1" length of legroom and width of footroom! (Every little bit helps!)
I like the diminutive proportions of the Avon and is why I think it makes a cracking BEC.

Andy.

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Y
also avons are tiny ! i couldnt get in one when a friend brought his round, feet wouldnt get in there, but got in mk's just fine.. bags of room

things too consider if you not gunna sit in a finished article

Fishface

posted on 30/8/05 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ive nearly finished mine and too be fair ive been fairly happy with it. Ive tried to do a decent job and have accepted that not everything will be perfect for the money. Certain things have annoyed me and i think that when pat did his he was definately at the new experimental end of it. In additon he didnt have the dbenefit of a website build diary. I found pats and the other really helpful and thats what ive used as i certainly havent used the book. Thanks to pats website and moaning i have been able to solve the problems hes had before i got to them (except for unequal wings!, although you cant see it too much) I think the main gripe is that tiger havent refined the kit after people like pat have raised the problems with it. All in all im happy so far and i do like the look of a decent finished avon as it certainly looks quite like a caterham.
When im done i would liek to build another and learn from my mistakes and use my new skills to do a better job and i would like to try another kit manufacturer. The one thing thats saves tiger for sure is the forum and the helpful people on it which wouyld encourage me to do another tiger model.
So theres my thoughts and if theres one thing i could add is please dont keep slating the avon as its pretty good and i may need to sell in the future i dont want any more bad press lowering my resale value as i too havent been able to build it for less than 5 grand (8ish is more like it)

Thanks

Rob

DarrenW

posted on 30/8/05 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GTTDi
where can i find a mac1 type zr stage 1 parts list?
What kind of rear suspension does it use?

try this link.
http://www.mac1motorsports.co.uk/typeZR.htm

Rear suspension is independant. Ive nearly finished my build and it has been a delight to put together. Mac#1 customer service is awesome. You wont regret it.

Lightning

posted on 4/9/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
My two peneth
My Avon chassis was great, body not so good, but light.
Mine was under £5k, but I think bike engines are cheaper as they include
carbs etc and generally dont need rebuilding( this could open another can of worms.....again)
I bought the car as it was light and small. which suited the bike engine.
I wish it had seperate rear wings though as the track days take their toll.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.