Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Why not bend the longerons?
enderw88

posted on 26/8/05 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Why not bend the longerons?

Starting to think about my chassic design and I am wondering why the book chassis doesn't bend the longeron to keep them a single pice, vice several short straing runs. Is it just to avoid needing a tubing bender?
Liam

posted on 26/8/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Uuuuuurrrrrrrrr???????

What's a longeron???

liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 26/8/05 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
10 seconds of internet research later...

Aaaaahhhh! Yeah that's probably the reason. Might look quite nice with a bend instead of a kink in the side of the chassis...

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 26/8/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Uuuuuurrrrrrrrr???????

What's a longeron???

liam

Are you mystified Liam by a longeron - that'll be a "Mysteron" then

Sorry - I'll get me coat

Liam

posted on 26/8/05 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm surprised you'd face people for the time it takes to get your coat. I think you should just leave as soon as possible.

smart51

posted on 27/8/05 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
curved would look stunning, especially if it looked like an aerial atom. With a pipe bender you get one radius, so you would end up with a straight-bend-straight type tube. It would look like a normal seven. Isn't there an opinion that a bent tube isn't as strong as two straight tubes welded together?
britishtrident

posted on 27/8/05 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Not a good idea for pretty obvious reasons framed structures should be made of only perfectly straight struts and ties.
Triton

posted on 27/8/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Cut n shut welded tubes in a chassis is stronger........bending tube weakens it especially rhs as it crushes on the inside of the bend and stretches on the outside.
JoelP

posted on 27/8/05 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
my solution to this one is to have the chassis straight from front to back, as i believe that the bend in the side just near the scuttle, is probably one of the worst features, as its not triangulared in all directions.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

quattromike

posted on 27/8/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you look in my photo archive you see a picture of the slight curve I have put in my chasis sides.

You'll never know how it's gonna work if no one actually does it.

quattromike

posted on 27/8/05 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Or look here
link to picture
I'm gonna make the tunnel stronger to try and stop some of the twisting about, if there is any

smart51

posted on 27/8/05 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
The front wheels on my sierra based VortX don't go anywhere near the bodywork even at full lock. The nose doesn't have to be as narrow as it usually is, except for convention on narrow axled cars.

The VortX is wider in the body by 60 or 70mm than a book locost chassis. A "book" locost with Sierra running gear may be able to have a straight chassis, or close to it. You might even get a bike engine in without having it at an angle to the propshaft.

britishtrident

posted on 27/8/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quattromike
Or look here
link to picture
I'm gonna make the tunnel stronger to try and stop some of the twisting about, if there is any

Try thinking in terms of stiffness not strength --- stiffness to weight ratio is the key to chassis design.

Because the tunnel is much closer to the neutral axis you won't get anything like the stiffeness back from stiffenning the tunnel. It would also require substantial stiffening of the rear cockpit bulkhead area to transfer torsional loads to the tunnel.

Any structural engineer will tell you even a slight bend in a slim strut type member is a really bad design causing a drastic reduction in the load at buckling failure as well as a major reduction in stiffness.

The effect on members in tension eg ties is confined to a reduction in stiffness but it is significant.

Ariel get around it as did the early 1960s Cooper F1 cars by using subtantially bigger diameter tube for the main structural members the wall thickness is also a believe increased.
This will regain some of the lost stiffness but at the price of doubling the weight.

[Edited on 27/8/05 by britishtrident]

Hugh Paterson

posted on 27/8/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
bending tube

Try building it in CDS instead of RHS, looks good and sexy if u weld it with TIG while your at it. Fish mouths and bent CDS is far superior to cut n shut RHS, but then again as the locost chassis is prob as stiff as Strawberry jelly why bother!
I really must get out more often and mix with normal people
Shug.

Liam

posted on 27/8/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Dax rush chassis is straight sided - tapering from the back of the cabin all the way to the front without a kink. It's no wider at the cabin than a book locost and consequently even narrower in the footwell area. They can still take a V8 though.

I thought by a bend that enderw88 was suggesting producing the normal shaped chassis with a small bend instead of two tubes, rather than one continous curve all the way along, which is certainly not good structurally. I would have thought the former would be fine - just a more convenient method of construction (if you have a tube bender). MK get away with a lot of bent tubes, even in the rear suspension mount area.

Limam

Liam

posted on 27/8/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Oh wow!!! I appear to have found islam and changed my name to Limam today! Great!
Peteff

posted on 27/8/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Salaam Alaikum Limam.

Please leave your shoes at the door.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

quattromike

posted on 27/8/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I do agree it'd be much stronger if the sides were dead straight, BUT , The minute you put a bend (or a kink) in it that's all the strength lost again, I don't think there would be a great difference with a straight a bend and a straight compaired to an even curve down the length. What I'm trying to say is if the side bars went from one point at the rear of the chasis to a point at the front and in the middle it was 50mm out off the straight, what's the difference if it go's straight to the middle and then straight to the front compaired to going through the points in a smooth arc? I'd like to say it'd actually be better in an arc but I get the feeling someone with more brains would correct me so I wont. So do you get where I'm comming from?

Mike

MikeRJ

posted on 27/8/05 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
The point is that the top chassis rails are in compression just taking the weight of the car. A bent tube in compression is far, far weaker than a straight one.

Or think of it another way, spaceframes rely on triangulation to form a rigid and strong structure. A triangle has straight sides....

JoelP

posted on 27/8/05 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
yup, best avoided IMHO. Ive just finished sketching a dedicated BEC chassis today, only simple lines, spacing and triangulation, but i hope to make a balsa model shortly. The basics though, 22" at the front to 42" at the back, and 8" high at the front, 21" at the back, the sides being totally straight with a gentle slop up.

Im thinking that this will increase the rigidity a bit, and i might use lighter tubing. Im torn between fishmouthing rounds tubes, or using regular square. Seems a ball ache doing it in square though. So probably end up using 25x1.6mm round.

The other plus side, is thats its 16" shorter than a locost, due to the small bike engine, and the passanger loosing some footwell for it.

This was the reason for me starting that recent thread 'fancy wishbones', because you dont end up with any nice parallel edges at the front to mount regular bones onto.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

kreb

posted on 28/8/05 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've been tossing out version after version of this idea. (My poor employer, little does he know!)

Ultimately my take is that to get that sexy curve without comprimizing strength, your best bet is to curve your skin, not the frame. Do a search on "stitch-and-glue construction" like the kayak builders do, and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.