Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help!!!!!! SVA Tuesday
coovey

posted on 27/8/05 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Help!!!!!! SVA Tuesday

I have my SVA tuesday on my velocity. I know it's close but i have been un able to set the brake bias up until now due to other issues.

The problem is
A) The rear wheels are stiff to turn by hand when the car is off the ground weather the brake pedal is depressed or not. I.e there seems to be no difference with brakes on or off. If I put the handbrake on they lock up completely.

B) no matter which way i adjust the bias bar the front brakes lock up at the same point on the pedal travel.

Background.
When bleeding the brakes at the front. They move easily when the nipple is open and i get lots of fluid. When bleeding the rears the pedal is still stiff and i don't get anywhere near as much fluid from them.

Question.

Is this normal for the rears not to lock up on the foot pedal?
Which way should i adjust the bias bar i.e. left or right?

Thanks for your time. Phill

nick205

posted on 27/8/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
if the rear wheels are stiff to turn by hand with no pressure on the brake edal and the handbrake released it sounds like they are binding (pads/shoes not being released propoerly).

Did you rebuild the rear brakes and are they set-up/adjusted properly?

Nick

Hellfire

posted on 27/8/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Have you located the pads properly on the disc's? The tang on the rear of the pad needs to fit into the slot on the caliper piston. If the calipers haven't been re-conditioned - take the car for a short run and bed them in... take it stready you don't want to overheat the disc's though...

mookaloid

posted on 27/8/05 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a LSD? they are very stiff to turn as you describe.

If you have one, don't worry about it.

If it is a brake related problem then I haven't had a dual M/C system with a balance bar and I confess I am not sure how to bleed those.

Good luck

Mark

Avoneer

posted on 27/8/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is your handbrake cable slightly too tight?

How many clicks do you get when you pull the handbrake, if it's 3 or less, my guess is that the hanbrake cable is too tight.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
enderw88

posted on 28/8/05 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
It could also be debris in your brake lines clogging and maintaing pressure on the rear calipers. If you can't flush fluid through the rear brakes lines then that is your culprit.
coovey

posted on 28/8/05 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Right,

spent a whole day on the damn things and have got no where, unless you count the handbrake being worse as progress.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Here's my replys to your comments

Binding, I have had the calipers off and made sure there is no paint etc so the pads can move freely.
As said by mookloid I belive the wheels are stiff because of the LSD i have. As the pads are not even touching the disc when the brake pedal is used or even when it is not. I.e. they aren't binding as they aren't even getting there in the first place.
The pads are located correctly, the tag Hellfire spoke about is in the slot.
I have a constant flow of brake fluid. I even took the calipers off and hung them up so they were the highest point so no air could be left in the hoses as the bleed nipples are at the bottom of the caliper when in position.
I took it for a run round the local car park and did 4 miles to try and bed the brakes but the small amount of surface rust that is on the rear discc wasn't even removed. Proving the brakes aren't even touching the disc.

So the only thing i can think of now is adjustment as the piston can be moved in and out.

Therefore has anyone got any idea how they should be adjusted/setup? |I can't find anything in the haynes manual on the adjustment.

Or any more ideas as to why i have no back brakes?

Thanks

mookaloid

posted on 28/8/05 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Try pulling the handbrake on and off a lot. I believe this adjusts the mechanism inside the calipers - it worked for me

Cheers

mark

Avoneer

posted on 28/8/05 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
And try tightening the handbrake cable if they're definately not binding.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ady8077

posted on 28/8/05 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Phill

Are the calipers new? if not did you wind in the pistons when you fitted the new pads? I've heard you can break the adjuster if you push them in

Adrian

coovey

posted on 30/8/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, Failed anyway

After 3 days of messing and getting nowhwere the sva came round and the tester found there were no brakes at the rear.

However the guy was very helpful and knowledgeable he gave us a couple of tips and suggestions as to what may be causing the problem. The re test is booked so i will be fixing the brakes (fingers crossed this week) Will let you know what solves the problem.

Thanks guys for all your help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.