Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis finishing!
pathfinder

posted on 29/8/05 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis finishing!

I’m thinking about the finish that I want on my chassis and think that powder coating is probably the best option but would like your opinions, I have heard horror stories about it chipping easily and falling off! Is there a particular type of powder coat that is ideal for this application? What sort of price would be expected for coating a bog standard chassis and roll bar? I shall be speaking to a few companies in the week but thought id do some homework first!

Or would I be better of getting it sprayed by the local body shop?

Cheers chaps

big_wasa

posted on 29/8/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
From experience the quality can varie from firm to firm and ive had some that was so bad that I had to strip it back by hand .Like paint it is better if it’s got a good key. So having your chassis shot blast will help no end and increase the durability of the finish Mind you it still scratches easy enough .

As for price I reckon based on bits ive had done £250 ish.

Im going to paint mine.

stevebubs

posted on 29/8/05 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pathfinder
I’m thinking about the finish that I want on my chassis and think that powder coating is probably the best option but would like your opinions, I have heard horror stories about it chipping easily and falling off! Is there a particular type of powder coat that is ideal for this application? What sort of price would be expected for coating a bog standard chassis and roll bar? I shall be speaking to a few companies in the week but thought id do some homework first!

Or would I be better of getting it sprayed by the local body shop?

Cheers chaps

My Fury is abut 10 years old. Absolutely no problems with the powdercoat - chassis in the engine bay still looks like new. Just make sure it's done properly.

wilkingj

posted on 29/8/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed -
SHOT / SAND BLAST - FIRST... or it will peel off.

As with most things the finished item will depend upon the preparation.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 29/8/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
How about enamaling, like a bath? Suposed to be very good. I think Hicost on this board did this to his 1st car. I enamaled my roll bar and it was superb, very tough plus you can have whatever colour you want.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pathfinder

posted on 29/8/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
How about enamaling, like a bath? Suposed to be very good. I think Hicost on this board did this to his 1st car. I enamaled my roll bar and it was superb, very tough plus you can have whatever colour you want.

Sounds expensive!

the_fbi

posted on 29/8/05 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
MK can do it as an option when you purchase a chassis.

Powder Coating (MK chassis, 8 wishbones, 2 hub carriers) Black Ea £176.25

OK so they didn't get the chassis business but I'm sure they'd do this (possibly MK Engineering rather than Sportcars?) and at least you know they'll prep it correctly and have some (rather a lot of) previous experiance!

Seems a good price to me.

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 29/8/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Powder Coating

I had my chassis done at Peaty`s, just north of Leeds. They blasted, etched and finished the chassis and did a superb job and took real care.

I think it may be stove enamled because the finish is very tough, even hitting it with a hammer could not chip it off (I tried this on some bolts that I used to fill threaded holes and not the chassis)

Cost was reasonable (£300 I think) for the complexity of the chassis and the amount of work.

I actually paid them £50 more than I was quoted so they could spend another hour or so on the job to get it dead right.

I would highly recommend Peaty`s.

John

caber

posted on 29/8/05 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
How about properly applied hammerite? This is really tough if it is allowed to set off properly and is applied to good degreased clean metal.

Caber

stevebubs

posted on 29/8/05 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
A friends' car was done with Paint (think it was Hammerite).

Built the same time as mine (powdercoated).

10 years on, I know which chassis I'd rather have...

[Edited on 29/8/05 by stevebubs]

ewanspence

posted on 30/8/05 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
would galvanising be any good? Don't hear much about it but I got a quote to galvanise my big ramps for £50 so I recon a chassis would be around the same cost.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

Rek

posted on 30/8/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
On this topic, does anybody know of a good place to get a chassis blasted in berkshire/surrey area? and cost permitting coated also?
caber

posted on 30/8/05 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Galvanizing is a good finish however as you are dipping the Chassis in molten zinc there is a risk of introducing a twist or distortion. Land Rover people regularly get galvanised chassis frames though these are a lot heavier than the Locost. Landrover bulkheads also get dipped, these are sheet structures and need to be braced up before dippling to prevent distortion.

Caber

ned

posted on 30/8/05 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Rek,

I had my chassis blasted and powder coated by plastic coatings ltd near the porsche garage in guildford. cost £260 inc my dedion axle.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

James

posted on 30/8/05 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Powder coat looks great and by the sound of it can be pretty durable too.

Is it really worth ~£250 though?

How much of the chassis can you actually see on a finished car?

Ned's chassis certainly looks many times better than my hand painted one but frankly I'm still reasonably happy with mine as it's unseen when the car's finished and, at the end of the day, it only cost me 15 quid!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

TimC

posted on 31/8/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ned....

.. were you pleased with the work they did?

They have a site near me and I'm considering them for my next project.

Cheers

ned

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
yeah i was pretty happy. on very close inspection there are a couple of places tucked away in pockets/funny angles where the powder coating hasn't quite reached, kind of got the webbing effect round some awkward welds with some pinprick holes in the powder, but generally the chassis looks great and having it blasted first makes all the difference to the powder keying onto the metal. I'd go with them again, if you're worried mention it beforehand and inspect closely upon collection. They seem a very professional outfit, so I'd have no concerns with using them again.

Ned.

I have had my engine in and out and knocked the chassis and it hasn't chipped, it has scuffed but i thought that was quite good considering the weight of the engine when lifting into place. they also plugged up any threads etc that i wanted them to, to save having to retap any holes etc. it is a lot of money, but worth it imho and worse case scenario if you do actually manage to chip it (i haven't) then touching up with por15 would be the best option i recon.

[Edited on 1/9/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

donut

posted on 21/9/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Some people paint their chassis with Dulux paint!!! Suposed to be one of the best coatings.....so i've heard.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Gav

posted on 21/9/05 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
magnolia?
big_wasa

posted on 21/9/05 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Im with James on this ..Dont get me wrong ive restored a few bikes and powder coated just about every thing on them wether you could see it or not when finished..(see bike) But for the locost id sooner spent the dosh on somthing elts I have used garage door enamle with good efect it just takes ages to go of.

Rorty

posted on 22/9/05 at 04:25 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure you're old enough to be driving?

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

lexi

posted on 22/9/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah he`s actually a thirty year old dwarf! Caber. Are you on LRUK? ( no feed replys please) . Dulux paint? Funnily enough someone on a LR forum swore by Sandtex masonary paint on steel gates and railings.
Alex

big_wasa

posted on 22/9/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Well I did have a big paper round for 7 years

Hard life and all that....

paulf

posted on 28/9/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Dont have it galvanised under any circumstances.I used to work for a company that had a lot of assemblys galvanised and the scrap rate was quite high.A chassis would be garanteed to end up twisted, the company i am working for now had some 250mm H beams 15m long galvanised against advice and they were scrap afterwards.
I painted my chassis with red oxide and then outdoor gloss paint, it took some time to harden but is now fairly tough and easily touched up.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by ewanspence
would galvanising be any good? Don't hear much about it but I got a quote to galvanise my big ramps for £50 so I recon a chassis would be around the same cost.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.