Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Do I? dont I?
andygtt

posted on 31/8/05 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Do I? dont I?

I'm new here as I have just started thinking about outing the ornament, sorry Bike (916) and replacing it with a BEC.

Now I'm alread big time into another expensive project so I would be setting myself a very tight £5k budget (sale of bike plus £1k).

This has led me to the MK as it looks to be the best at this kind of money, it also uses sierra parts and I recently broke my modded cossie so have wheels, brakes(6pots) and othe misc bits to hopefully keep to my budget.

I guess I'm asking why pick the MK over the others, and is there any things you'd recoment I do to make it a smooth and enjoyable budget build.

Cheers
Andy
PS. not quite made the mental leap to sell the Duke so looking for inspiration

Triton

posted on 31/8/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Mad idea.......i make you a 7 kit in exchange for the duke
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 31/8/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
There's not much to seperate the top 7 manufacturer's in this price range. However, the quality of the MK Chassis, the look of the GRP and help and advice from MK for the price really does take some beating.

Visit MK on Saturday morning 10:30'ish and see how friendly we all are...

nick205

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hellfire - are you on comission

I would agree with you though, the service and back up has been outstanding from MK. Although I can't compare to others as I haven't used them!

Cheers
Nick

donut

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Visit MK on Saturday morning 10:30'ish and see how friendly we all are...

Exchange the word 'friendly' with the word Mad!!

Have a look back at what people have said about MK and you will see that above all others they come outmost favorite. They also sell allot of BEC's so there will be an abundant ammount of information and help that the company can give you, also they make a mean cup of tea!!

I am of course bias towards MK and most other manufacturers offer very good products indeed but for all roundness you can't beat MK....oh and if you get one don't forget to join the club!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andygtt

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the response guys.

I've read through quite a lot of posts here and other places inc build sites which is whats led me to pick MK..... But Having built a kit before I'm very aware that the actual spend can be way different from estimates (I wont say what my last kit overspent by).

So considering I have some of the expensive luxury bits (wheels, brakes) and currently not considering a reverse or interior.... is my budget of £5 realistic and acheivable for an age related?

Andy
PS am going to try to get to brands on 17th

DarrenW

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought 5K is possible if you are prepared to fabricate some of your own bits and buy wisely. 6K should get you some nicer bits on it like nice exhaust and DD2 especially if you have experience of building before.

If you buy most of the bits at one time you might be able to get a good deal from your chosen kit supplier.

donut

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree that £6k would see a nice car. It's amazing how the cost goes up and up and up........

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

DarrenW

posted on 1/9/05 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
I would agree that £6k would see a nice car. It's amazing how the cost goes up and up and up........

i started talking to the supplier with a 3k ish budget. They said 4.5K is almost possible for basic car. I have since gone over 6K and still have some bits / SVA to pay for............

Hellfire

posted on 1/9/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Andy,

considering that you already have the wheels and brakes, I reckon 5K is a very realistic budget. You just have to control your spend within that.

It's all too easy to overspend but if you buy wisely and don't get carried away, it can be done quite easily on a budget of 5K.

hearnia

posted on 1/9/05 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think my total is around 6k at the moment, but I have spent over 1k on wheels/tyres and brakes so a budget of 5k is highly realistic in my opinion.

Again if you're willing to hunt for bargains that price could come down dramataically, its generally the small bits that are overlooked that cost the money. Also its been said before but if you have the facility to fabricate some of your own parts then theres savings to be had there.

The MK guys are really helpful and theres a lot of MK owners about who are probably the nicest/helpful bunch

All the best.

Jon Ison

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome.......

Mad people at MK's on a sat morning, never seen that ???

£5k budget, via ebay and other carfull buying, yes.

donut

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it's all too easy to look in the glossy mags and buy from there so Ebay and people selling on this board will make the build alot cheaper which is something i'm trying to do...........except when the Digi Dash 2 Lite comes out

Andy

andygtt

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
well thanks guys, I have my answer.... watch out snoopy I'll be ringing you in the morning.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.