Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Effect of spart plug gap
givemethebighammer

posted on 4/9/05 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Effect of spart plug gap

I found this site yesterday

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/

the bloke talks about changing the gap on the spark plugs on his mondeo from 1.3mm to 1.1mm, Says it makes the car idle better. I seemed to me an odd thing to do given the manufacturer (ford) has obviously done the research to come up with the optimal gap of 1.3mm. Question is how does the spark plug gap affect the performance and running of the engine. Does reducing the gap to improve lower speed running will affect the top end to some degree as well ?

UncleFista

posted on 4/9/05 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
The Ford coil-pack uses a higher voltage than most, can't remember the details exactly.

With plugs set to 1.3mm Ford found there were problems with the plug leads breaking down, causing misfiring.
Cheap plug leads break down within days, the original Ford items are the only ones worth getting. Expensive but less hassle than changing them a few days down the line.

Closing the plug gap to 1.0mm allows the leads to last much longer.

Ford now specify 1.0mm plug gap for Zetecs.

HTH

Tony

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

NS Dev

posted on 4/9/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
as above, in very simple terms, the bigger the plug gap the better the spark will set fire to the mixture, but the harder it will be to make the spark.

Ultimately the biggest gap will give the best performance, but only if the mechanism that supplies the spark is up to the job. If it isn't, performance will not be very good at all!

givemethebighammer

posted on 4/9/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all makes sense now. So do new spark plugs come already set with the correct gap or do they need adjusting ? I fitted a set of NGK plugs to my zetec ages ago. Never thought to check the gap on them. Car seems to run without any problems though.
JoelP

posted on 4/9/05 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
plugs usually have the right gap set, i asked the other day.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Bob C

posted on 4/9/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
The spark plug gap determines the voltage that the HT system needs to be able to cope with ("spark gaps" are used as HV protection systems in electronics) Note that gas at higher pressure has higher dielectric strength so it takes more volts to create a spark with a higher compression ratio of if forced induction is used. This is why spark gaps are smaller on high pressure turbo systems; you still want as big a spark as possible, but the volts required would be too much for the rest of the HT system (leads, coils etc).
High power microwave systems frequently pressurise waveguides to prevent internal arcing.
Bob

MikeR

posted on 4/9/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
A manager at my company once wrote a reply to a report. It went something like "I understand every word used in this report but not in the context used".

quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
High power microwave systems frequently pressurise waveguides to prevent internal arcing.
Bob

Bob C

posted on 4/9/05 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
sorry - just another example of increase gas pressure then the sparks stop..... Waveguides are wacky things - peice of pipe that electricity goes down - how can that work . ? . ? . For satellite comms the ground stations churn out up to a few kilowatts & it's piped down waveguides to the big dish.
Bob

Peteff

posted on 4/9/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
plugs usually have the right gap set

For what? Lots of different engines use the same plugs with different ignition systems and settings. All plugs come with a nominal setting and should be checked before you put them in.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeR

posted on 4/9/05 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, my last post wasn't supposed to come across like it did. I just read what you wrote and didn't understand a word. Reminded me of the reply on the report

Still not 100% what you wrote even after you explained it - i'll blame the organic cider

NS Dev

posted on 5/9/05 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I think that bloody stuff could be blamed for a lot of things!!!!!!!!
MikeR

posted on 5/9/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
hee hee - serves you right for drinking a whole jar of scrumpy (and that wasn't organic). Found some lovely stuff though, looking into setting up a little brewery!
NS Dev

posted on 5/9/05 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
does the organic stuff give you less of a headache!!!!
MikeR

posted on 5/9/05 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
well i didn't have a headache after the bbq! Found a single variety one that is just soooooo smooth, sweet, tasty, hmmmmm although its not 7.5%!

(think we're doing a thread hijack again, oh, someone was asking about where you're getting your drive shafts from on another post)

MilesE

posted on 6/9/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Everytime I improve anything on my Calibra turbo engine I've got to close down the plug gap to avoid misfire. I'm down to 0.58mm now, with Denso Iridiums.

A stronger coil would allow me to run bigger gaps probably with a bit more power.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.