Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA FAIL - SHREWSBURY
pajsh

posted on 5/9/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
SVA FAIL - SHREWSBURY

OK at the risk of making myself look a complete numptie I have posted pics in my archive of the fail points of my SVA.

Alot just relate to my car but some may be of use to someone else.

The Cobra seat guides is one that I thought would have been OK and I couldn't find anything on mudguards but apprarently they must cover the bare wheel without the tyre. Basically the plan form of the car viewed from above.

Any questions I would be happy to answer.

Fails were about 50/50 between the guy who started it and me. At the moment I would advise any noobie not to buy a half complete project unless you know what you're looking at. My fails are all quick fixes but I'm not sure how to strengthen the trailing arm supports without taking the car apart.

I've learned a hell of alot along the way having never done much more than changing spark plugs before and the SVA has just been another part of the learning process.

I'll know what they look for next time.

A pro built cobra was in with me and he had a rough time too although after a bit of remedial work he did pass. But then they go at least once a week.

JohnN

posted on 5/9/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting stuff, & good for you to post it.

What was the problem with the 3mm seatbelt plate welded on 3 sides?? It looked OK to me

JohnN

andytmc

posted on 5/9/05 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I'm a bit suprised about the Cobra seats, I've got them as part of my Velocity kit and they seem to get through SVA based on what I know.

I don't remember anyone having problems with these before. Phil (Coovey) has Cobra seats & he didn't mention a problem with them in his SVA.

Good luck with the mods for the re-test, at least you know what needs to be done ...

Oh and I'll be applying for an SVA at Shrewsbury shortly!

Andy

Hasse

posted on 6/9/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
If you put a rose joint in the end of the panhard rod, you don´t need to change the rear axle part.

3mm steel, welded on two sides were ok for me as belt fixation.

/Hasse

NS Dev

posted on 6/9/05 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting.

Agree with SVA on some but not all.

Seatbelt mount plate looks fine to me, what did they suggest to remedy it???

Don't really understand the front wing issue either.

The weld on that clevis was a mess!

The panhard rod bracket won't be tricky to chop off with the grinder and weld back on. I have some brackets somewhere I can post if you're short.

The welds around the bracket mounts on the axle look dodgy!!!!!!

MikeR

posted on 6/9/05 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I was about to explain what the problem with the front wing was - till i looked at the picture again and i think its ok.

Having looked 3 or 4 times i think the problem with the trailing arm mounds are that its not fully welded.

coovey

posted on 6/9/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cobra Seats

Our Cobra Seats passed. However Stuart the tester did remark that the velocity is one of a very few cars that pass with them in. He specifically mentioned westfields as failing with them.
Contray to what I thought He measured from the base of the seat to the height of the seat belt mounting (as opposed to the point the belt comes through the seat.

Don't know if this helps

rusty nuts

posted on 6/9/05 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have Cobra seats in my Luego Locost which passed with no mention in Norwich
planetester

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Trailing arm mounts,
I have a stuart taylor chassis & his mounts have a small gusset welded at the outer bend rad of the mount going to the center of the upright & welded there

Avoneer

posted on 2/10/05 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pajsh,

Have you re-tested yet as I would be interested in your solutions and what SVA thought of them.

Regarding the lower seat belt mounts, did your bolt just go through the 3mm plate or did you have a nut or insert welded to the plate as well?

Regarding the trailing arm brackets, which bit didn't you weld?

Cheers,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.