Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another R1 won't start, no Cyclelock on loom, what do I do?
kurt

posted on 6/9/05 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Another R1 won't start, no Cyclelock on loom, what do I do?

I've been following the discussions on this subject, but everyone appears to have the Cyclelock in the loom or at least the connectors that went to it. I have wired my MKIndy exactly the same as the bike by extending the R1 loom and using an R1 ignition switch. The loom I have has already had the optional Cyclelock removed, so I have the bare ends of the black wires that went to it and no connectors. Does anybody out there know how they should be connected to get a spark. I have checked everything with the Yamaha service manual and all seems okay, so I presume it must be the Cyclelock. The manual simply has the wires running to the Cyclelock but with no detail of the connections inside. So, I'm stumped. Any ideas anyone?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/9/05 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Id suggest the first thing to do might be to buy a Haynes manual as I think that has wiring diagrams with details for the cycle-lock bypass itself. I'll check in mine later to confirm if I go out to the garage.

kurt

posted on 6/9/05 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure it's not in the Haynes manual but I'll also check in mine. My next step is to call at a Yamaha dealers to find out what happens if the "optional Cyclelock" isn't opted for, then what do they do to the connections. Somebody somewhere has got to know unless you have another suggestion. I know where all of the wires come from obviously, but where do they go?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/9/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
On my injected loom the cycle lock connectors had the other half of the connectors plugged in and several wire loops coming out of the female part to effectively join some of the black wires together. As its an injected engine its probably of no use anyway, but now mines all under the dash so cant really get at it to look

Chris

[Edited on 6/9/05 by ChrisGamlin]

Paul G

posted on 6/9/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I wont be able to get back to mine till thursday now but I can take some photos of the cycle lock connectors and email them to you then if thats any use but seeing as you dont have the connectors on it probably wont help much. If you compare the differences between the US and the Europe diagrams (in the haynes) it is possible to work out where the wires go though (well to be honest it was possible for my mate who understands electrics - it was just gibberish to me!)
kurt

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've checked the Haynes manual and there's no info. in there, same with the Yamaha official manual. Any help will be appreciated so if you can email photos that will be great, email to

kurt@kurt.wanadoo.co.uk

As for comparing the US and Euro circuit diagrams, the US has no Cyclelock at all, so I'm assuming that the ICU operates differently on the US model. All I can see is that there seems to be something involving earth connections which are similar to the Cyclelock connections. This would tie in with other discussions on this subject, but I'm no expert and don't know for sure, any ideas?

speed8

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cyclelock??

What's the cyclelock? I've got the 2002 R1 workshop manual and it is not mentioned at all. I don't even see it mentioned on the wiring diagram.
What's its function?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Its the group of black wires that is on the wiring diagrams ive used / seen (Haynes and downloaded Yamaha one).
I assume its where Yamaha plug in the bike immobiliser / alarm if you chose it as an option when buying the bike. If you chose not to have the immobiliser then there are a few dummy plugs that join some of these black wires together to allow the engine to fire without the immobiliser circuit in place.

Chris

speed8

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
That would maybe explain why it's not mentioned in some manuals. No point publishing the way round anti theft devices.
Maybe it's in the more detailed diagrams, I only looked on the large colour one on the last page if we have the same manual.

smart51

posted on 7/9/05 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
U2U sent.
jimmy_nugget

posted on 26/9/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Alrite pal,
have u had any luck yet getting the wiring sorted?
Jimmy

progers

posted on 27/9/05 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you do not have the cyclelock do not worry. All it does is to route earth connections to the starter, relay assembly and ECU.

Once you understand this, just look at the Yamaha wiring diagram in conjunction with the Haynes wiring diagram and you should (with a little exercise of the grey cells) figure out where you need to connect an earth to the above components. Sometimes the cyclelock is called alarm or immobiliser on the circuit diagrams but it will be there.

If in doubt earth it! You are unlikely to do any damage to anything if you earth any spare wires on the loom, just make sure its not connected to 12V.....

If you have a 2002/3 motor I can send you a diagram and text that shows you how to bypass most of the starter relay safety mechanisms and details the connections to the ECU.

The 98-2001 models are simpler but I don't have documentation for them

Cheers

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.